A Leonard Cohen Song Quiz

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

Re: A Leonard Cohen Song Quiz

Post by B4real » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:03 am

Lisa, I’m glad you enjoyed the quiz! And I thank you muchly for answering my question about covering a poem. Now I know that, here’s some additional info on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_setting
A musical setting is a musical composition that is written on the basis of a literary work. The literary work is said to be set, or adapted, to music. Musical settings include choral music and other vocal music. A musical setting is made to particular words, such as poems. By contrast, a musical arrangement is a musical reconceptualization of a previously composed work, rather than a brand new piece of music. An arrangement often refers to a change in medium or style and can be instrumental, not necessarily vocal music.
Yesterday, when I was trying to find out the closest I got was an “art song”. Info here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_song
An art song is a vocal music composition, usually written for one voice with piano accompaniment, and usually in the classical art music tradition. By extension, the term "art song" is used to refer to the collective genre of such songs (e.g., the "art song repertoire"). An art song is most often a musical setting of an independent poem or text, "intended for the concert repertory" as part of a recital or other relatively formal social occasion". While many pieces of vocal music are easily recognized as art songs, others are more difficult to categorize. For example, a wordless vocalise written by a classical composer is sometimes considered an art song and sometimes not.
And then still looking for “art song”, I came across this link and LC’s Suzanne was included in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... d_on_poems
This is a list of some poems that have been subsequently set to music. In the classical music tradition, this type of setting may be referred to as an art song. A poem set to music in the German language is called a lied, or in the French language, a Mélodie. A group of poems, usually by the same poet, which are set to music to form a single work, is called a song cycle. "Suzanne", poem and song both by Leonard Cohen
Interesting, I learn something new every day!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:06 am

Thanks for the info, Doron, and Lisa has helped with the “cover” thing!
on Dear Heather, and one song on which the credit for the lyrics is shared – do you know which one is it?)
If you are speaking about the album Dear Heather, I don’t have to look it up because I know it. In fact, there are four songs in total with shared credit for the words and music. Nightingale and On That Day for LC and Anjani Thomas. And LC and Sharon Robinson for The Letters and There For You.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:57 pm

B4real,

I’m afraid I must disagree; the shared credit on those four songs you mentioned must be for the music, and not for the lyrics. The only case of shared credit for the lyrics is “Got A Little Secret” (“Lyrics by LC and Felicity Buirski; Music by LC & Mitch Watkins). One more case of explicitly shared lyrics credit is with Jennifer Warnes on Song Of Bernadette, but this song was not recorded by LC.
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:32 pm

That was a great quiz Doron, thanks for the challenges!! I 'd like to add a few more answers to question 25 for the musical instruments:
Clarinet ... in 'Sing Another Song, Boys' [She tempts him with a clarinet]
Bells ... in 'Take This Longing' [Many men have loved the bells]; in 'Night Comes On' [The vesper bells ringing]; in 'Jazz Police' [Can you tell me why the bells are ringing?]; in 'Anthem' [Ring the bells that still can ring]

(Bells have been used in several 'classical' / orchestral pieces like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, and in some Mahler symphonies: my humble justification for their inclusion in the answers!)
B4real

Post by B4real » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 am

Good answers, Jim!

DBCohen wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:57 pm
B4real,

I’m afraid I must disagree; the shared credit on those four songs you mentioned must be for the music, and not for the lyrics.
Here you go, Doron :)

It's written on my CD booklet the same as on The Files https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/
- you'll have to go to the song index and click on Dear Heather.
Of the 13 songs on this album, you'll see LC listed alone on only 6 of them for credit of the words
- not including the additional verse he wrote for Tennessee Waltz.

Dear Heather

3. The Letters
Words and music by Leonard Cohen
and Sharon Robinson

6. On That Day
and Anjani Thomas

8. There For You
and Sharon Robinson

10. Nightingale
Dedicated to Carl Anderson (1945-2004)
and Anjani Thomas

EDIT: On a previous note -
DBCohen wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:54 am
Finally, regarding Q8: a friend pointed out to me that you also mentioned “Take This Longing” in your answer (and earlier the same friend also suggested it privately as a possible candidate for that list). I can’t say I quite see it, but I guess that’s the point where individual imagination comes into play, so perhaps it cannot be ruled out although I’m not totally convinced.
Doron, may I ask if your friend is male or female? ;-)
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Jim,

Thank you! Bells should certainly be included, and I can’t believe I forgot to include that clarinet.

B4real,

Sorry, but I remain unconvinced, for several reasons:

1. LC was careful with credits; in the few cases in which credit for lyrics had to be shared (“Got A Little Secret”; “Song Of Bernadette”) it was done so explicitly.

2. You quoted from the Files, but I’m consulting the Dear Heather CD booklet, and it is not the same. On those four songs where the credit is shared, it says under the title: “Leonard Cohen and Anjani Thomas” or “Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson” without the phrase “Words and music by”. There is no reason to believe that this time it was different than the rest of the 48 cases in which the lyrics were written by LC and the music was in collaboration, or full credit was given to someone else for it (and in the case of those two poems we’ve mentioned, credit for the lyrics).

3. “Nightingale” and “There For You” are printed in Book of Longing, for which LC has full credit; there is no reason to believe that it is different with the other two songs.

4. Neither Sharon Robinson nor Anjani Thomas ever claimed credit for lyrics. Sharon Robinson often told how she arranged the music for LC songs after he had given her the words. Anjani told Sylvie Simmons how she enticed LC to finish the lyrics for the songs she was recording for the Blue Alert album, sometimes just one line that was missing; she did not presume to do so herself.

Based on the above, and thinking of LC’s voluminous lyrical output over the years, I’d say I’m confident that the lyrics for those four songs are his alone, unless proven otherwise. In any case, it isn’t such a big deal, but it’s nice having a to-and-fro on the Forum once again.
B4real

Post by B4real » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:31 am

Ah, sometimes there are things written down not as they should appear :razz:

Rhetorical Question and Answer (or not): :)
Interestingly, the album Dear Heather was released in 2004, 2 years before Book of Longing in 2006. Of those previously spoken about 4 songs on the album, 3 are in BOL (On That Day the only one that isn't) and there is an additional last verse in There For You. Also, Because Of (Because Of A Few Songs) and The Faith (with repeated verses on the album) were also on the album and in BOL. So, were they songs before they were poems? Or, were they unofficially poems turned into official songs and then officially into poems? My guess is the latter sentence.

B4real wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 am
EDIT: On a previous note -
DBCohen wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am
Finally, regarding Q8: a friend pointed out to me that you also mentioned “Take This Longing” in your answer (and earlier the same friend also suggested it privately as a possible candidate for that list). I can’t say I quite see it, but I guess that’s the point where individual imagination comes into play, so perhaps it cannot be ruled out although I’m not totally convinced.
Doron, may I ask if your friend is male or female? ;-)
I've re-posted this last part of my previous post in case you've overlooked it.
But please don't feel obligated to answer if you don't wish to - I was just simply curious.
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:44 pm

B4real,

To your question, my friends is a female. Does it make any difference? :roll:
B4real

Post by B4real » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:45 am

Yes, Doron, in this particular instance I think it does :)
Thanks for the confirmation - I rest my case :razz:

And this was meant to appeal to our sense of humour but I feel it’s fallen victim to the tyranny of distance!
Nevermind 8)
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:36 am

Since nobody seems to be taking up the three challenges I mentioned above, here’s my take on one of them: details from the songs on the Thanks for the Dance album that should be added to the previous Q&A. I hope I didn’t miss anything this time.

Q 6. The Night Of Santiago (“a gypsy”)

Q 11. Happens To The Heart (“I had no trouble betting / On the flood, against the ark”)

Q 14. Thanks For The Dance (“It was almost a daughter or a son”)

Q 20. Rifle: Happens To The Heart; pistol, machete: The Night Of Santiago

Q. 24. Vulture: Puppets; Swan[/b]: The Hills; Hummingbird: Listen To The Hummingbird

Q 25. Fiddle, harp: Happens To The Heart

Q 26. Eve: It’s Torn

Q 30. Messiah: Happens To The Heart

“Love”: Moving On (“loved”), The Night Of Santiago (“love”), Puppets (“lovers”)
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Tue May 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi All,

A while ago I confessed that “I’ve quite exhausted my personal mine of questions for the time being”, but then I realized I was wrong. So, due to public demand, as they say in certain businesses, I’m offering here another round of questions on LC’s songs. The quiz covers all official studio and live albums, including Thanks for the Dance.

Once again, I urge you to take your time and test yourselves patiently before coming out with your answers. Let’s make a date on Sunday, May 10, for posting your answers. Here we go.

The Leonard Cohen Song Quiz

Part II

Prepared by Doron B. Cohen (2020)

31. It would come as no surprise to all of you that the verb “break” is one of the most often used by LC, and that its forms (break, broke, broken) appear in dozens of his songs. Now, here is the challenge: try to see if you can recall from memory one use of “broken” in at least one song on each album, in order of release (with the exception of Death of a Ladies’ Man, Dear Heather, and Popular Problems); some have two or three.

32. Another major theme in the songs is that of war; there are “war”, “soldier/s”, “captain”, “field commander”, “army/armies”, “troops”, “battlefields”; we may also add “spy”, “traitor”, and of course The Partisan (and we’ve already counted weapons). Now here’s the catch: how to turn it into an interesting question? How about this little challenge: Which is the least “bellicose” album on which none of the above words is mentioned? (And if you can think of another challenge, please offer it).

33. In a somewhat related subject: there are four songs mentioning “torture”, but which are the two songs (are there more?) in which he is being interrogated but this word does not come up?

34. I managed to find only four types of insects, three of which are mentioned in one song each, and one mentioned in three songs. Can you name them all?

35. Animals, on the other hand, there are plenty; I counted more than ten (excluding birds and insects); which is the one mentioned more times than any other (it’s a little tricky)?

36. Turning back to the dark side, there is a surprising amount of chain, chains and being chained; can you name 12 songs mentioning them?

37. And how about prison? It is mentioned in four songs. However, in one of the later songs this word is not mentioned but there is a kind of synonym, which in turn takes us back to an earlier song. Any idea what I’m talking about?

38. Even more thorny is the subject of suicide; our Man was often accused of enticing it, but we know better: anybody listening attentively will end up being encouraged and supported. Still, the word is mentioned in two songs; two other songs seem to incorporate it without mentioning it literally; and another song is often considered as depicting it, but I think it’s wrong. What do you think?

39. On the lighter side, there’s lots of dancing, so much so that I’m not sure what to ask… So how about a guestimate: how many songs mention “dance” or “dancing”?

40. Now for a few questions on the side of literature. In A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes, there’s the line about the night being green; any suggestions why it should be so?

41. There’s a possible allusion to a couple of Shakespearean characters in one song, and to one of them in another song. Which two songs?

42. Besides Story Of Isaac, there is an allusion to his binding in another song (more of a poem, actually). Which one?

43. Now there’s no escaping the Plague… One song mentions it literally, but there are at least two others which allude to it in different ways. Can you name these songs and are there more?

44. This is an easy question, for a change, so why don’t you time yourself with a stopwatch and see how long it takes you to come up with the answer; would you have been the quickest on the buzzer, had we had one? Ready? …… Go. Name a song containing a line quoted from a popular song from the 1940’s.

45. Another easy one… See how long it takes you to recall it… A song quoting a famous commercial.

46. Name three places in East Asia: a country and two specific sites.

47. Name two religious organizations of sorts.

48. We covered birds, beasts and insects, so I guess we should cover flowers as well; intuitively, which is the flower mentioned most often? Have you checked? Did you guess right? How many mentions did you find?

49. Apart from the flower in the previous question, I counted only four other kinds, mentioned altogether in four songs. Can you name them? And did I miss any? (It feels like I did, but perhaps there are not that many flowers after all).

50. Finally, I’m not sure that I can formulate this question clearly, but I’ve got an itch to try. In some songs there is a question with a twist: a double meaning, or a sarcastic rhetorical question, or questions that are not answered. I guess one example stands out and will come to mind easily, but I can think of at least five or six other lines that might fit this category. I’m interested in your opinions.

Good luck!
B4real

Post by B4real » Thu May 07, 2020 12:26 am

DB, you're on a roll :)

Seeing that my time zone gives me the opportunity to post answers first, I thought I might leave the quiz for others to have a go. I haven't read it yet. I'll do the quiz for my own personal challenge and if needed, I'll post my answers later.

Thanks again for some more LC brain fodder 8)
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Thu May 07, 2020 9:10 am

B4real,

I'm looking forward to reading yours and (hopefully many) others' contributions!
B4real

Post by B4real » Fri May 08, 2020 1:56 am

Ah Doron, seems I can’t help myself – I’m totally sucked in! I’m now two thirds of the way through your quiz!
I still haven’t read it complete; I’m just concentrating on each question as it appears numerically.
It’s so unexpectedly interesting that I’ve come across a couple of questions I instantly related ancestrally to with my answers ;-) Truth is stranger than fiction – who would’ve known I could find them here – hopefully they have provided me with the right answers, ha!
Also, I’m having lots of fun and thought-provoking challenges with your questions. Whether my answers are right or wrong, I do want to post them on the day but I don’t want to monopolize the thread.
Have a go everyone - it's good to get the old grey matter moving and you may surprise yourselves on how much more about LC you really do know!
B4real

Post by B4real » Sun May 10, 2020 5:07 am

Well, here we are again! Overall, I found Part II of the quiz a bit harder than Part I. But we’ll soon see if what I’ve written proves that :razz: Thanks again Doron, for the grey matter workout!
I hope you don’t mind that I’ve once again included other songs and song improvisation excerpts from my book.
I know Lisa likes to read them :)

DB Cohen wrote: 31. It would come as no surprise to all of you that the verb “break” is one of the most often used by LC, and that its forms (break, broke, broken) appear in dozens of his songs. Now, here is the challenge: try to see if you can recall from memory one use of “broken” in at least one song on each album, in order of release (with the exception of Death of a Ladies’ Man, Dear Heather, and Popular Problems); some have two or three.
1967 Songs Of LC (Suzanne)
1969 Songs From A Room (The Butcher, The Old Revolution, You Know Who I Am)
1971 Songs Of Love And Hate (Diamonds In The Mine, Sing Another Song Boys)
1973 Live Songs (You Know Who I Am, Please Don't Pass Me By-A Disgrace)
1974 New Skin For The Old Ceremony (Take This Longing)
1975 (The Best Of LC (Suzanne, Take This Longing)
1979 Recent Songs (Came So Far For Beauty, The Window, The Guests)
1985 Various Positions (Hallelujah, If It Be Your Will)
btw – there’s a city in Australia called Broken Hill …from this broken hill :)
1988 I’m Your Man (Everybody Knows, Take This Waltz)
1985 Various Positions (Hallelujah, If It Be Your Will)
1994 Cohen Live (Suzanne, Hallelujah, If It Be Your Will, Everybody Knows)
1992 The Future (The Future, Light As The Breeze, Democracy)
1997 More Best of LC (Suzanne, Hallelujah, Democracy, The Future, Everybody Knows, Take This Waltz)
2001 Ten New Songs (Alexandra Leaving)
2001 Field Commander Cohen tour of 1979 (The Window, The Guests)
2002 The Essential LC & ltd edition 2008 (Suzanne, Take This Longing, Take This Waltz, The Guests, If It Be Your Will, Hallelujah, Democracy, Alexandra Leaving, Everybody Knows, The Future)
2007 Songs Of LC 1967 remastered (Suzanne)
2007 Songs From A Room 1969 remastered (Nothing To One)
2007 Songs Of Love And Hate 1971 remastered (Diamonds In The Mine, Sing Another Song Boys)
2009 Live In London 2008 (Anthem – “On your little broken drum”, Hallelujah, The Future, Everybody Knows, Suzanne, Democracy, Take This Waltz, I’m Your Man, If It Be Your Will)
2009 Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 (Suzanne, Diamonds In The Mine, Sing Another Song Boys)
2010 Songs From The Road (Suzanne, Hallelujah)
2012 Old Ideas (Banjo, Come Healing)
2014 Live In Dublin 2013 (Anthem – “On your little broken drum”, Come Healing, Hallelujah, The Future, Everybody Knows, Come Healing, Suzanne, Alexandra Leaving, I’m Your Man, If It Be Your Will, Take This Waltz)
2014 Popular Problems (Born In Chains – “Broken is the Name”) Why not include this album?
2015 Can’t Forget – A Souvenir Of The Grand Tour (Light As A [The] Breeze)
2016 You Want It Darker (If I Didn’t Have Your Love, String Reprise/ Treaty, You Want It Darker)
2019 Thanks For The Dance (Happens To The Heart, The Night Of Santiago)

Bird On The Wire
(Frankfurt 6th, London 10th, Leeds 19th May 1970)
Like a fish on a hook
like a knight from some old-fashioned book
I have broken all my sorrows, broken them to thee
(I have broken all my sorrows [upon] on thee)…

(Aix-En-Provence 2nd Aug 1970)
I have broken all my sorrows on thee…

The Broken Down Nightingale
(improvisation – BOAW tour Manchester 20th March 1972)
(Who can take this seriously as a career?)
Leonard Cohen is going to sing his song
of anguish and despair, here he comes folks,
the organ is playing, the scores appear,
they’re lowered by wires by a man above the stage
he stands there the broken down nightingale,
Oh, the broken down nightingale’s
gonna sing you a little song.

The Return of the Broken Down Nightingale
My guess is that it’s connected in some way to the above improvisation in 1972 – probably by name only.
It was the original title of the album New Skin For The Old Ceremony 1974.
(It’s a paraphrase of what LC said to one audience early on the 1972 tour in an attempt to explain dreadful PA problems)

I Don't Care Anymore
(improvisation - Copenhagen 4th April 1972)
I don’t care anymore, my friend
After all it’s just another broken sound
I don’t care how the light waves bend
You know, it’s just another broken song in the dark side
See how this broken song comes down
But I don’t care, and I don’t give a damn
I’m not even worried this time
I’m not giving in to it.

The Broken Lip
(improvisation – Frankfurt 6th April 1972)
The broken lip, I don’t recall the broken lip
You must be thinking of some other singer
I never had a broken lip myself
But I’m willing to try it out
So why don’t you come right up here
And punch me in the mouth
I ain’t got no broken lippy
As you can see my mouth is perfectly whole
There isn’t even the trace of a cold sore
Let alone a broken lip

Come to think of it, I did have a broken lip
But that was a long time ago when I was a lot younger
And a lot thinner and a lot more ambitious
And a lot more reverent, a lot more reverent
A whole lot more reverent

I think it was my sister who really had the broken lip
I remember her lip, not only was it broken
You could say it was entirely mutilated
She had a handicap…

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
(Improvisation 1974 and 1975)
I showed my broken heart to the doctor…

Anthem Of The Broken Hearted
(from Songs for Rebecca an abandoned album produced and co-written by John Lissauer, recorded in late 1974 early 1975, after New Skin For The Old Ceremony, but tapes were possibly destroyed. All songs were performed and recorded except "Anthem of the Broken Hearted" at The Main Point in Bryn Mawr, PA, USA on 23rd Nov 1975)

Memories
(Warsaw 22nd March 1985)
All my faith, all my faith to see, all, all my faith to, my little faith,
My broken faith, my faith got mutilated, all my faith, you know, it’s all, it’s all that I got, it’s just my faith that’s all kids, I can’t give you any more than that, so I’ll say goodnight now and thank you very much.

Coming Back
(Night Magic musical 1985 lyrics by Leonard Cohen, music by Lewis Furey)
(Valkyries) The law is broken
You must get them…

I've Counted What I Have
(Night Magic musical 1985) lyrics by Leonard Cohen, music by Lewis Furey)
Her heart is broken and her breath is stale…

The Throne Of Desire Variations (no 5)
To save mankind
And all the broken…

Democracy
(1992 Interview Songwriters on Songwriting by Paul Zollo)
LC said this unused line for Democracy referred specifically to Bob Dylan’s song Everything Is Broken –
“The singer says it’s broken and the painter says it’s gray.”

The Window
(Stranger Music 1993)
The code of solitude broken,
why tarry confused and alone?

The Faithless Wife
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - after Lorca's same titled poem a sung version of LC's poem The Faithless Wife)
The broken sidewalk ended…
Same line as the one in the posthumous album TFTD 2019 on the song The Night Of Santiago.

Ain’t No Cure For Love
(concert variations 2008 -10 & 13)
I see you riding on/in the bus….
I walked into this broken church
There was no place else for me to go…

Feels So Good
(Las Vegas 11th Nov 2009 most sung concert version)
Feels so good to wake up in the morning by myself,
Cup of coffee in the kitchen,
fire up a little danger to my health.
I got the same old broken heart
but now it feels like it belongs to someone else.
I got the same old broken heart
but now it feels like it belongs to someone else.

A Thousand Kisses Deep
(Australian concerts 2013 alt ending verse)
Well that’s my story
I admit it’s broken and it’s bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A thousand kisses deep.

Anthem
(Australian concerts 2013)
On your little broken drum…

DB Cohen wrote: 32. Another major theme in the songs is that of war; there are “war”, “soldier/s”, “captain”, “field commander”, “army/armies”, “troops”, “battlefields”; we may also add “spy”, “traitor”, and of course The Partisan (and we’ve already counted weapons). Now here’s the catch: how to turn it into an interesting question? How about this little challenge: Which is the least “bellicose” album on which none of the above words is mentioned? (And if you can think of another challenge, please offer it).

least - Dear Heather, then - Ten New Songs.

DB Cohen wrote: 33. In a somewhat related subject: there are four songs mentioning “torture”, but which are the two songs (are there more?) in which he is being interrogated but this word does not come up?

torture = The Future, Almost Like The Blues.
tortured = The Butcher, One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong, Please Don’t Pass Me By.
I'm really just guessing here!
A Singer Must Die, The Law, Dress Rehearsal Rag

I Came Down From The Mountain
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem ‘Leaving Mt Baldy’ from Book of Longing 2006)
A number of people
(some of them practitioners)
have begun to ask me angry questions
about The Ultimate Reality.

DB Cohen wrote: 34. I managed to find only four types of insects, three of which are mentioned in one song each, and one mentioned in three songs. Can you name them all?
8 insects in 8 songs:
butterfly (Listen To The Hummingbird)
flies (Nevermind)
fireflies (The Night Of Santiago)
mosquitos (One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong)
moth (Humbled In Love)
hornet (The Traitor)
spider web (So Long Marianne)
bee = Et la fleur dans l’abeille - And the flower into the bee (La Manic – Grand Tour 2015)
3 songs for one insect:
crickets (Night Comes On, Ballad Of The Absent Mare, A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes)

Half The Perfect World
(sung by Anjani Thomas on Blue Alert 2006 & live in Warsaw 2007)
From ‘Half The World’ in his Book of Longing 2006
Beneath the white mosquito net…

Mother, Mother
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem My Mother Is Not Dead from Book of Longing 2006)
Do you see the insects?
One of them was once your dog.
But do not try to pat the ant…

Ballad Of The Absent Mare
(Melbourne 8th March 1980)
And the crickets are playing
their final song
as the day caves in
and the night is all wrong…

Song To My Assassin
how many crickets
how many waves
easy after easy
on the one-way shore

There are stars
from another view
and a moon
to draw the seaweed through

No one calls the crickets vain
in their time
in their time
No one will call you idle
for dying with the sun…

DB Cohen wrote: 35. Animals, on the other hand, there are plenty; I counted more than ten (excluding birds and insects); which is the one mentioned more times than any other (it’s a little tricky)?
Ballad of The Absent Mare (mare x 4 times – title and body of song)

Ballad Of The Runaway Horse
(female verses of Ballad of the Absent Mare sung by Jennifer Warnes)
So she binds herself to her galloping steed…

12 animals:
lamb (The Butcher, Stories Of The Street, Amen)
monkey (First We Take Manhattan)
horse (Happens To The Heart), horses ((Tonight Will Be Fine -Live Songs)
ponies (A Thousand Kisses Deep)
cat (Lullaby, Night Comes On)
kittens (Blessed Is The Memory)
pussy (Happens To The Heart)
panther (Happens To The Heart)
mouse (Lullaby)
dog (Everybody Knows, I’m Your Man), dogs (The Night Of Santiago, I Left A Woman Waiting)
German shepherd (Master Song) breed of dog
ape (Master Song, Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On)
elephants (Dress Rehearsal Rag SOLAH and remastered 2007)
bats (To A Teacher)
turtle (Jazz Police)
sheep (Take This Waltz)

Lady Midnight
(Concerts 1972 -6)
Then she pointed at me, while/where I begged/keeled like a dog on her floor…

I Don't Know Why I’m Scared Tonight
(improvisation - Frankfurt 6th April 1972)
Don’t why I’m scared tonight
But baby, I am
I don’t know if it’s just the crowd out there
I don’t know if it’s just the slaughtered lamb…

The Book Of Longing
(2006 KCRW demo sung version of same named poem)
Desire the horse…

This Morning I Woke Up Again
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem The Drunk Is Gender-Free from Book of Longing 2006)
The Lord is such a monkey…

Mother, Mother
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem My Mother Is Not Dead from Book of Longing 2006)
Do you see the insects?
One of them was once your dog.
But do not try to pat the ant.
Rover. Rover, Rex, Spot,
Here is the bone of my heart…

The Faithless Wife
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - after Lorca's same titled poem a sung version of LC's poem The Faithless Wife from Book of Longing 2006)
A file of dogs patrolled the beach…

Song Of Destruction
(Frank & Louis) Are you still here? What are you waiting for?
Your lives to change? An oracle to speak?
Some version of the wounded matador
Who turns toward the bull his other cheek?

DB Cohen wrote: 36. Turning back to the dark side, there is a surprising amount of chain, chains and being chained; can you name 12 songs mentioning them?
16 Songs:
(chain) I’m Your Man, Love Calls You By Your Name, The Law, The Old Revolution, Sing Another Song Boys.
(chains) Born In Chains, Hey That’s No Way To Say Goodbye, Blessed Is The Memory, Samson In New Orleans, Show Me The Place, Who By Fire, Please Don’t Pass Me By, Memories (outro - You’ll never break these chains)
(chained) Love Calls You By Your Name, Take This Waltz, Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On, Tower Of Song - Live In Dublin.

I Don't Know Why I’m Scared Tonight
(improvisation - Frankfurt 6th April 1972)
Don’t why I’m scared tonight, but baby, I am.
I don’t know if it’s just the crowd out there
I don’t know if it’s just the slaughtered lamb
But I’m singing in chains of gold for you…

I Want To Sing A Song To The Machines
(improvisation - Tel Aviv 19th April 1972)
Machines, I wish you’d come closer
Come on machines, move a little closer to me
I know you got souls machines
but you’ve fallen into slavery
machines throw off your chains…

Is This What You Wanted
(Concert variations 1974 -5)
I lay here chained with only one…

In My Secret Life
(Helsinki 28th April 1988) Verse recited -
Ah, we’re moving so swiftly now, we’re moving so fast
I had to relinquish my grip on the past
But I turn to you still like a man to his wife
Though I’m held in the chains of My Secret Life.

Merely A Prayer – Epilogue
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem Looking Through My Dreams from Book of Longing 2006)
The chains have slowly
followed the anchors…

DB Cohen wrote: 37. And how about prison? It is mentioned in four songs. However, in one of the later songs this word is not mentioned but there is a kind of synonym, which in turn takes us back to an earlier song. Any idea what I’m talking about?
5 songs: (prison)
Happens To The Heart, Light As The Breeze, The Land Of Plenty, The Old Revolution, The Partisan.

No, I’m not sure what you mean so here are some guesses -

NS 1974 – Lover Lover Lover - every kind of freedom done
OI 2012 – Going Home - He just doesn’t have the freedom to refuse

SOLC 1967 – One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong - Then he locked himself in a library shelf
VP 1985 - We were locked in this kitchen

Taken Out Of Egypt about 1987 was the original version of I Can't Forget then in 1995 it was retitled Born In Chains.
IYM 1988 – I Can’t Forget
PP 2014 – Born In Chains – I was born in chains

DB Cohen wrote: 38. Even more thorny is the subject of suicide; our Man was often accused of enticing it, but we know better: anybody listening attentively will end up being encouraged and supported. Still, the word is mentioned in two songs; two other songs seem to incorporate it without mentioning it literally; and another song is often considered as depicting it, but I think it’s wrong. What do you think?
2 Songs: Field Commander Cohen, Stories Of The Street.
2 Other Songs: Seems So Long Ago Nancy, To A Teacher.
Depicting it: Dress Rehearsal Rag.
I remember that Leonard had some words to say about this song but he says it more succinct than me, so –

1968 BBC Sessions – LC: “You know there's a song in, I think it was in Czechoslovakia, called Gloomy Sunday that was forbidden to play because every time it would play people would leap out of windows and off of roofs. It was a tragic song. And I read in the Athens news the other day that the composer of it, who only really wrote that one song, he died recently, jumped out of a window himself. I have one of those songs that I have banned for myself. I sing it only on extremely joyous occasions when I know that the landscape can support the despair that I am about to project into it. It's called Dress Rehearsal Rag.”

1974 Interview - LC: “There are some songs which I never sing in public. I'm not trying to be supersensitive or coy about it. Just that particular song I very rarely sing to myself, to friends or any time. I wrote it, I taught it to Judy Collins and she recorded it and I never sang it in public. And maybe I've sung it three or four times to myself in that last time. It's an authentic song. I think it comes out of my own experience but I'm not interested in - I can’t... somehow - I haven't been able to release that song from its private area. I recorded it; I was surprised myself that I recorded it. I'm not happy with the recording. I think it has a number of flaws in it as a recording, but I don't think I could ever do it under the spotlight.
Interviewer: You refer to yourself as a closet suicide.
LC: Well I'm that kind of, you know that, er, one speculates about these things in private, I no longer do. That's a song about suicide and I certainly don't want to present myself as a potential suicide for any reason whatsoever. So that's it dropped out of my singing landscape, I just don't think about song like that.”

DB Cohen wrote: 39. On the lighter side, there’s lots of dancing, so much so that I’m not sure what to ask… So how about a guestimate: how many songs mention “dance” or “dancing”?
12 dance songs: Thanks For The Dance, Dance Me To The End Of Love, Save The Last Dance For Me, Do I Have To Dance All Night?, Take This Waltz, Love Itself, Memories, The Guests, Heart With No Companion, Closing Time, Heart With No Companion, Death Of A Ladies Man.
9 dancing songs: It’s Torn, Memories, A Thousand Kisses Deep, Closing Time, Tennessee Waltz, The Future, Take This Waltz, The Gypsy’s Wife, Treaty.
(dances) Light As The Breeze, (dancer) Love Calls You By Your Name.

Priests
sung on their own records by Judy Collins & Richie Havens
(Demo New York 1966 -7 & Songs From A Room Outtake 1968. copyright registered 24th July 1967.
According to Leonard this song and several others exist on a demo tape he did for Polygram in the early sixties and maybe recorded with the other early songs printed on The Leonard Cohen Acetate as a demo tape)
And all of you have seen the dance,
That God has kept from me…

God is Alive, Magic is Afoot
(prose from Beautiful Losers 1966.
Recorded as a song twice by Buffy Saint-Marie - Illuminations 1970 & Up Where We Belong 1996)
And flesh itself is magic
Dancing on a clock
And time itself
The magic length of God…

I Always Want To Sing For Naked People
(improvisation – Amsterdam 15th April 1972)
I always want to sing for naked people
But I never had the chance
I knew if I could sing for the naked people
I’d not only sing but I probably would dance.

Love Calls You By Your Name
(Concert Improvisation 1974 -5)
Between the dancing master and his cane…

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
(Concert Improvisation 1974 -5)
And I put it into your red/dancing shoes…

Dance, Dance, Dance
(Improvisation – Amsterdam 30th Oct 1980)
Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance,
da Dum da de dee dum de dum dum …de dar da dee dar
ah, sweet sounds reject me not
where are you now, oh divine muse of antiquity…
Dance, dance, dance, dance
Concertgebouw, goodnight…
la, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance
hello there light, why are you shining on me?
hello there Tungsten, hello there electricity
do you have some communication?
you wish to reach me with?
are you really shining?
are you really the sun?
are you the rings of Saturn?
why, are you shining on me?
Dance, dance, dance, dance.

I've Counted What I Have
(Night Magic musical 1985 lyrics by LC, music by Lewis Furey)
That pagan there pretending he can dance…

Song Of Destruction
(Night Magic musical 1985 lyrics by LC, music by Lewis Furey)
Some prisoner in pyjamas dancing lewd…

How Much I Love You
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem Another Poet from Book of Longing 2006)
I introduce/ the young to the young
They dance away in misery…

You Came To Me
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem Thousand Kisses Deep from Book of Longing 2006)
Still dancing cheek to cheek…

The Future
(Concerts 2008 -13)
Give me crack and careless sex…
The white girls dancing…

Let My People Dance
(Dublin 14th Sept 2012 improvisation from Go Down Moses spiritual song)
When Israel was in Egypt’s land
Let my people dance
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people dance.

DB Cohen wrote: 40. Now for a few questions on the side of literature. In A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes, there’s the line about the night being green; any suggestions why it should be so?
I’ve never really considered the ‘why’ about that line. But because I live in the tropics, the first thing that springs to mind is a moonless, overgrown, lush tropical jungle at night. Hummm… jungle, green… the colour of an Army uniform…. thinking instantly of my uncle (log on, see active topics and click on Anzac Day etc) who was killed in action in a similar situation in one of the jungles in New Guinea, an island just north of Queensland, Australia. I can see him in these four lines below. The first two lines describe what I’ve said above. The third line says he was a hero - he surely was and he is buried there still to this day after almost 77 years and must always live there. The last line resinates with me as a Pilgrimage a lot of Aussies do – they walk the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea and tread in the footsteps of their relatives or friends who have fought and/or fallen in battle along this infamous, even now, gruelling, physically challenging route. Those who go there have only been enduring a tiny experience of what the soldiers went through and can leave any time they want to. Those soldiers were indeed A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes.

‘But no one really could hear him,
the night so dark and thick and green;
well I guess that these heroes must always live there
where you and I have only been.’

DB Cohen wrote: 41. There’s a possible allusion to a couple of Shakespearean characters in one song, and to one of them in another song. Which two songs?
Two characters in one song: The Old Revolution (on the side of the ghost and the King)

One of those characters in six songs:
Hallelujah (The baffled king)
Heart With No Companion (For the soul without a king)
Samson In New Orleans (The king so kind and solemn/ He wears a bloody crown)
Blessed Is The Memory (Or a King on the run)
Never Any Good (You called my ace, my king, my bluff)
The Old Revolution (you who are kings for the sake of your children's story)
The other of those characters in six songs:
A Street (I see the Ghost of Culture)
Is This What You Wanted (by the ghost of you and me?)
The Gypsy’s Wife (A ghost climbs on the table in a bridal negligee)
The Window (Oh tangle of matter and ghost)
Treaty (I’m so sorry for that ghost I made you be)
Nevermind (From ghosts like you)

Ah, again my ancestors are hopefully guiding me down the right path! On the other hand, maybe they are having a joke with me because I have listed many more songs than originally wanted! All the 10 historical plays Shakespeare has written about kings are connected to me in some way, either as ancestors or as other ancestors who were close associates of those kings either by marriage or court courtiers, etc. Also, my sister married a descendant of William Shakespeare’s father so her children have ancestry of both worlds. My sister and her husband have a house not many miles from where William was born! It’s a small world indeed!!

Store Room
(Concert variations 1976)
Shakespeare, he said it all, and he said no more
And he left me feeling just like a two-bit whore…

Hallelujah
(Dublin 2nd Mar 1985)
Now I’ve heard that there was a secret chord
That King David played to please the Lord...

Please Don’t Pass Me By
(Frankfurt 6th May 1970)
I’d like to sing it for the Ghosts of Germany…

The Third Invention
(1980 original poem of this in BOL 2006. Night Magic musical 1985 lyrics by Leonard Cohen, music by Lewis Furey)
Ready to fall
In love with a ghost
And here was his ghost…

DB Cohen wrote: 42. Besides Story Of Isaac, there is an allusion to his binding in another song (more of a poem, actually). Which one?
Doron, I don’t really understand what you mean here but I’ll try these –
It Seemed The Better Way, A Thousand Kisses Deep, Puppets, By The Rivers Dark, I Tried To Leave You, Go No More A-Roving, Born In Chains.

DB Cohen wrote: 43. Now there’s no escaping the Plague… One song mentions it literally, but there are at least two others which allude to it in different ways. Can you name these songs and are there more?
Everybody Knows (the plague is coming) Ha! Everybody knows it’s already here :razz:
Everybody might know this question, but I really only like the first one below -
The Window (Lost in the waves of a sickness)
Here It Is (Here is your sickness)
The Great Event (This will reverse the effects of the world’s mad plunge into suffering)
The Traitor (But the Rose I sickened with a scarlet fever)
Nevermind (This swarm of flies)
Different Sides (Down in the valley the famine goes on/ Famine up on the hill)

DB Cohen wrote: 44. This is an easy question, for a change, so why don’t you time yourself with a stopwatch and see how long it takes you to come up with the answer; would you have been the quickest on the buzzer, had we had one? Ready? …… Go. Name a song containing a line quoted from a popular song from the 1940’s.

Field Commander Cohen (Rum and Coco-Cola)
Completed in 2 seconds. Ah, DB, you know just when to balance the hard with the easy!

DB Cohen wrote: 45. Another easy one… See how long it takes you to recall it… A song quoting a famous commercial.
Whatever the time limit was, I’m sure I totally exceeded it! Interestingly, I first thought of the song Is This What You Wanted only because it has some unusual names in it but none seemed to resonate. I was getting my knickers in a twist because this was supposed to be easy and I had no idea! Inexplicably, the words of a jingle I hadn’t heard for more years than I care to mention started playing in my head, “Mr Clean will clean your home and house and everything that’s in it”…
It’s interesting how the brain works on a conscious and sub conscious level. Firstly, it doesn’t know it knows, then it thinks it doesn’t know at all and finally it knows it knows! Phew! Here’s my originally overlooked guesses and when I checked it seems that they are all commercials. The first two are official (I now remember the Vaseline Petroleum Jelly one) but the last one, which I haven’t any recollection of, seems to be unofficial :)
3 different commercials, all from the same song – Is This What You Wanted:
I was Mr. Clean.
I was Vaseline.
You were K.Y. Jelly.

Is This What You Wanted
(Concert variations 1974-5)
You were that famous XY/fancy/lubricating/expensive KY Jelly
I was only/common/ordinary Vaseline
You were the father of modern medicine
I was always bold/shabby/clean/vulgar/over-tall/ Mr Clean…

DB Cohen wrote: 46. Name three places in East Asia: a country and two specific sites.
1 Country: China (Suzanne)
2 Sites: Tiananmen Square (Democracy) Beijing, China
Boogie Street (A Thousand Kisses Deep, Boogie Street) Bugis Street, Singapore
2 Cities: Hiroshima (The Future) Japan
Saigon (The Captain) Vietnam

DB Cohen wrote: 47. Name two religious organizations of sorts.
Why don't you join the Rosicrucians (Dress Rehearsal Rag)
Democracy is coming to the USA (Democracy)

1992/3 Interviews -
LC said: What is Democracy?" It's a kind of religion of the West and like a great religion it affirms other religions and like a great Culture affirms other Cultures, that's what's behind it, some notion that there really is an equality of human enterprise. I think it is the religion of the West.

DB Cohen wrote: 48. We covered birds, beasts and insects, so I guess we should cover flowers as well; intuitively, which is the flower mentioned most often? Have you checked? Did you guess right? How many mentions did you find?
Instant guess – the Rose. And yes, when I tried to remember any other flowers, it does seem to be right!
After checking I found 10 instances of the rose.
Ah the Rose of High Romance it opened wide/But the Rose I sickened with a scarlet fever/ Run some wire through that Rose and wind the Swan (The Traitor) x 3
Like a rose on its ladder of thorns/ Then lay your rose on the fire (The Window) x 2
And a long stem rose (Everybody Knows)
Well I see you there with the rose in your teeth (Famous Blue Raincoat)
yes one hand on my suicide, one hand on the rose (Stories Of The Street)
There is a rose in your hair (Thanks For The Dance)
There may be wine and roses (A Street)

I Want To Love You Now
(Philip Glass BOL 2007 - sung version of poem Inside Our Love from Book of Longing 2006)
I want to be the rose
You beckon with a yawn
Limping on a thorny crutch
Across the burning lawn…

DB Cohen wrote: 49. Apart from the flower in the previous question, I counted only four other kinds, mentioned altogether in four songs. Can you name them? And did I miss any? (It feels like I did, but perhaps there are not that many flowers after all).
And I agree, I also thought there were more than I found –

5 other flowers:
lily (Take This Waltz, A Thousand Kisses Deep, It’s Torn)
hyacinth, lilies (Take This Waltz)
daffodil (The Night Of Santiago)
Morning Glory (Morning Glory) title of a flower
holly (Nightingale) ...maybe

4 general and 1 ;-) LC special:
bud (Come Healing)
bride's bouquet (The Gypsy’s Wife)
little wild bouquet (Democracy)
bouquet of cactus (I Can’t Forget)
Puppet flower/ Puppet stem (Puppets)

DB Cohen wrote: 50. Finally, I’m not sure that I can formulate this question clearly, but I’ve got an itch to try. In some songs there is a question with a twist: a double meaning, or a sarcastic rhetorical question, or questions that are not answered. I guess one example stands out and will come to mind easily, but I can think of at least five or six other lines that might fit this category. I’m interested in your opinions.
Before I even venture to get my mind into gear with this question, straight away I reckon many of LC’s song lines are that way inclined! I am remembering now that some years ago I initiated a thread on something similar to your double meaning comment. I’ll see if I can find it!
My Oh My, well I have found it and it was almost 10 years ago! Double entendre or not, they always make my brain pay extremely close attention to the words and I guess that’s what it’s meant to do! Opposites do attract!
Doron, if you want to consider any of my examples in the linked thread below now applicable, here they are:
something positive - something negative https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21288

Double meaning: (or confusing meaning - maybe I should include them in the above thread) :)
My lost, my lost was saying found/ My don't was saying do (On The Level)
When I turned my back on the devil/ Turned my back on the angel too (On The Level)
Now the angel’s got a fiddle/ The devil’s got a harp (Happens To The Heart)
The lie in what’s holy the light in what’s not (It’s Torn)

Sarcastic rhetorical:
But you don't really care for music, do you? / But if I did, well really, what's it to you? (Hallelujah)
Ah but now you never show it to me, do you? (Hallelujah - Cohen Live, Live in Dublin & London, Songs From The Road)
And now you’re gone, now you’re gone/ As if there ever was a you/ Who held me dying, pulled me through/ Who’s movin’ on, who’s kiddin’ who? (Moving On)
I said to myself, "Where are you golden boy, where’s your famous golden touch?" (Dress Rehearsal Rag)
and a bitter voice in the mirror cries, "Hey, Prince, you need a shave." (Dress Rehearsal Rag)
and who shall I say is calling? (Who By Fire)
Is this what you wanted? (Is This What You Wanted)
I know you have to hate me/ But could you hate me less? (Anyhow)
and the Holy Spirit's crying, "Where's the beef?" (Closing Time)
Where are you now my fingerprints? (Fingerprints)
Ooh tell me, Bird of Paradise, do I have to dance all night? (Do I Have To Dance All Night)
Thank you for your generosity/ Is it a gesture of compassion to the elderly? (Stages - Can’t Forget: A Souvenir Of The Grand Tour)
most of the song Morning Glory.

Unanswered:
Now I said to Hank Williams: how lonely does it get?/ Oh, Hank Williams, he hasn’t answered me yet (Tower Of Song)
why don't you come on back to the war, can't you hear me speaking? (There Is A War)
Where are you, Judy, where are you, Anne? /Where are the paths your heroes came? / Wondering out loud as the bandage pulls away/ was I, was I only limping, was I really lame? (Love Cals You By Your Name)
Your letters they all say that you're beside me now/ Then why do I feel alone? (So Long Marianne)
most of the song Why Don’t You Try.

Dance, Dance, Dance
(Improvisation – Amsterdam 30th Oct 1980)
Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance,
da Dum da de dee dum de dum dum …de dar da dee dar

ah sweet sounds reject me not
where are you now, oh divine muse of antiquity?
where are you now, gold paint
that has written the names of all these composers
on this venerable establishment?
Stravinsky, Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler
ah, flake down on us in your sweet gold paint
fall over us in a grave snowstorm of excellence

Dance, dance, dance, dance
Concertgebouw, goodnight

where are you going Amsterdam?
why don’t you become Rotterdam?
why don’t you fall in the North Sea?
why don’t you swim like a herring?
why don’t you fall like a snowflake?
why don’t you wave like a curtain?
why don’t you become Saudi Arabia?
why aren’t you Arabs, why aren’t you Jews?
why aren’t you Negroids, why aren’t you Caucasians?
why do you come to concerts?
why do you pay these vast prices?
do you hear me, I don’t know

la, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance
hello there light, why are you shining on me?
hello there Tungsten, hello there electricity
do you have some communication?
you wish to reach me with?
are you really shining?
are you really the sun?
are you the rings of Saturn?
why, are you shining on me?

Dance, dance, dance, dance.

Now, if no one minds, to reverse the control of this quiz ;-) I have a question to ask everyone.
Are you hungry? Want to whet your appetite?

We have been finding varied varieties of plant and animal species but what about what we and they eat?
See if you can remember or discover what and how many different types of food are mentioned in LC’s songs.
The same type of food is mentioned in three different songs. The same scenario applies to a very different type of food in three other different songs. Name them and as many other different foods with their songs as you can. In total I found 19 different types and as often stated, there may be more ….or less. Depends how you look at it ;-)

Doron, just putting this one question together I have a new perspective and total respect for the length of time it must have taken for you to get together fifty of them! Much appreciation for your dedication!!

As this has been such a long post, if I have waffled too much or made any obvious errors I apologize in advance!
Now, where did I put my sudoku and target alphagrams ..... ah, for now I think I’ll just quietly settle back with my knitting :razz:

Return to “News”