Leonard Cohen honoured at BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

Postby B4real » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 pm

by Andre Paine
October 16th 2019 at 9:22PM
https://www.musicweek.com/media/read/le ... rds/077773
Leonard Cohen has been honoured at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in Manchester.
Three years after his death, the revered songwriter and poet (pictured at Glastonbury in 2008) was inducted into the Folk Awards Hall Of Fame during the ceremony at Bridgewater Hall.
A posthumous Cohen album is due for release by Columbia next month. A documentary about the Canadian singer’s relationship with Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen is currently on BBC iPlayer.
As a tribute, Thea Gilmore performed Cohen’s 1984 song Dance Me To The End Of Love during the Folk Awards. Cohen joins artists in the Hall Of Fame including Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, Woody Guthrie, Ewan MacColl and Cecil Sharp.
The event was hosted by Mark Radcliffe and broadcast live on Radio 2 and BBC Sounds. It was produced by 7digital.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
ScottM

Re: Leonard Cohen honoured at BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards

Postby ScottM » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:14 pm

For those of us that can access it here is a link to the programme. The Leonard Cohen induction, introduced by Mark Radcliffe, starts at around 62 minutes and 20 seconds. It includes commentary from Judy Collins and an excerpt from “Suzanne”. This is followed by Thea Gilmore’s live version of “Dance Me To The End of Love”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009ch3
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam

Return to “News”