Leonard's letters to Marianne for sale

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
christineanne

Leonard's letters to Marianne for sale

Post by christineanne »

Certainly out of my price range, and I have mixed feelings about them being available at all
but I hope, at least, that a true fan buys them.

'Write me and tell me your heart:' Leonard Cohen's letters to muse Marianne Ihlen set for auction

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5144924

and a short article in the UK newspaper, 'i' today - not sure if the article is available on-line
Jeffs98119

Re: Leonard's letters to Marianne for sale

Post by Jeffs98119 »

If anyone can download these it would be lovely if they were shared here. Is that okay Jarkko?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Jeffs98119 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:01 am If anyone can download these it would be lovely if they were shared here. Is that okay Jarkko?
jarkko will be aware that copyright restrictions are most likely in effect.
people say i am a genius in many areas, especially concerning computers, yet the truth is that it's simple for anyone with a small amount of data knowledge to download whatever they wish from anywhere on the internet.
for example, like this :) :
letter.jpg
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Yes, what Geoffrey says is true. We can't post the letters here (or any other website).
However, all letters can be read (and downloaded, but just for your personal use) from the auction website!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

jarkko wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:22 am Yes, what Geoffrey says is true. We can't post the letters here (or any other website).
However, all letters can be read (and downloaded, but just for your personal use) from the auction website!
How to download the letters in high quality for personal archival purposes (like myself)

For Windows users, using Google Chrome:
  • Go to the page of the lot
  • "CTRL + U" shows you the page's source code
  • "CTRL + F" opens the search engine
  • Type MAX in the search box
  • Hit enter twice to show second hit for MAX
  • Click on that link to open it in a new tab
  • Right-click and choose "Save picture".
Repeat 64 times for the 64 lots. :-)

(Or send me a pm, I repeated it 64 times last night…)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

letters.jpg
mary emma

Post by mary emma »

HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Maarten's tip how to download the letters works great! There are in total 92 letters, photographs,postcards etc

I downloaded the letters etc also and made an share here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiwTxPslIr0hir8V-01 ... Q?e=efRfmg

You can download a selection of the individual letters or download the "complete letters ZIP-file" which contains all the lettters, photographs etc.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

HugoD wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:57 pm Maarten's tip how to download the letters works great! There are in total 92 letters, photographs,postcards etc

I downloaded the letters etc also and made an share here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiwTxPslIr0hir8V-01 ... Q?e=efRfmg

You can download a selection of the individual letters or download the "complete letters ZIP-file" which contains all the lettters, photographs etc.
Hugo

There are actually about 165 images available... Long explanation, will mail you.

M

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi friends

A follow up note on my (short) answer above...

Initially, I had found about 95 images on the Christie's website, but the numbering of those files was a bit odd so we managed to find a lot of extra images that were not shown on the Christies auctions, but were sitting on their website anyway. Probably they had uploaded a lot of photos first and then only picked a part of those images to be shown on every auction page. So instead of 95, there are now 165 different images available!

To explain in short for lot number 1 (if you would be interested, otherwise just skip this part):
Link to the lot: https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/writ ... ve-1/71335

In the source code of that page, you can find the link to the high quality photo of the auction:

Original link:
https://www.christies.com/img/LotImages ... g?mode=max

Link with items in bold, red and green (which makes it invalid to click on)
https://www.christies.com/img/LotImages ... _NYR_18162_0001_002(from_tel_aviv_with_love_tel_aviv_13_september_1960).jpg?mode=max

I indicated 2 numbers in different colours for you:
- The green 0001 refers to the lot number
- The red 002 indicates the photo number, which makes you think there might be a photo called ....001... and even ....000... which were there aswell!
So 002 refers to the general photo of both pages of that letter, while 000 and 001 are better photos of the actual letter!
:-)

In the end, quite a lot of auctions only show general shots of letters with overlapping pages, but now we have the letters in full!

Also, I have tried to rename them in order to be able to read the seperate letters better, but I think there might still be some mistakes in the order of them per lot (let me know if you find any mistakes!).

An example:
- First a general shot of the lot ("a")
- Then the front of the envelope ("b")
- Then the back of the envelope ("c")
- Then the letter(s) itself ("d", "e", ...) in chronological order where I could find out

If Leonard wrote the end of his letter on the front of the envelope, "a" is the start of the letter and "b" is the front of the envelope which includes the end of the letter. That way makes it easier to read it.

I will provide a download link (WeTransfer, only available for a week or so) later today when I find some time to upload all the images again.

Take care
Maarten

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

link not working.jpg
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Geoffrey

Thanks for pointing this out. Indeed, because I highlighted some stuff (bold, coloured letters) the link didn't work anymore (it added tags like etc...
I have edited my post above.

Do you have all the images I'm refering to (that is, 165 images from the Christie's website)?

Take care
Maarten

Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi again

Here's the promised link to all 165 images plus one docx file which includes all the lot descriptions taken from Christie's.
The link will be available for 1 week only, starting NOW. :-)
https://we.tl/t-cNenwMqsct

All the best
Maarten

HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Thank you Maarten for you're expertise and kindness for making this available, very much appreciated!
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.

Return to “News”