Leonard recipient of Folk Alliance International Elaine Weissman Lifetime Achievement Award (Legacy)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sturgess66

Leonard recipient of Folk Alliance International Elaine Weissman Lifetime Achievement Award (Legacy)

Post by sturgess66 »

Folk Alliance International awarded its Elaine Weissman Lifetime Achievement Award to Leonard, as a memorial recipient, at their 2019 Folk Alliance International Conference in Montreal last month. The award honours the cultural impact of legendary folk music figures. To commemorate Leonard, the Alliance prepared this perceptive and poignant short-documentary.
(From Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/leonardcohen/p ... 6557294644 )

Video on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztF_VdxcRoc

https://folkconference.org/ifmas/
Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients
The Elaine Weissman Lifetime Achievement Awards are presented each year during the annual International Folk Music Awards. Recipients are determined by the voting members of FAI and are presented to a living recipient, a memorial recipient, and an organization or recognized academic.

Legacy: Leonard Cohen
Born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Leonard Cohen began his career as a poet and novelist (The Spice Box of Earth, The Favourite Game, Beautiful Losers). Moving to New York City, he began a career as a songwriter, quickly being covered by his peers, most notably Judy Collins. Iconic songs include “Suzanne”, “So Long, Marianne”, “Bird on a Wire”, and “Hallelujah!”

An ordained Buddhist monk, his creative work was introspective and often centered on themes of spirituality, sexuality, and politics. Cohen once said in an interview, “I don’t consider myself a civilian. I consider myself a soldier.” He saw it his duty to keep politics close to his music and give light to the suffering and hopes of the world, no matter where they might be. His work is featured in multiple tribute albums including Tower of Song, I’m Your Fan, and Famous Blue Raincoat.

Cohen’s 60-year career firmly established his legacy in the music industry. He was the winner of five Juno and three Grammy Awards, was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, and is the recipient of the Order of Canada. He received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy, was inducted into the Songwriter Hall of Fame, and received the prestigious Glenn Gould Prize.
AlanM

Re: Leonard recipient of Folk Alliance International Elaine Weissman Lifetime Achievement Award (Legacy)

Post by AlanM »

Sturgess66,

Many thanks for this posting and link to the video.
I particularly liked the comments:
"Lazy critics saw only the darkness ... "
"But it was not Cohen's darkness that drew us to his mortal flame, it was his eternal quest to find goodness and beauty within the darkness, shards of hope amid our broken places."

I think lazy is a very apt adjective.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013

Return to “News”