MAC Exhibition for LC to tour

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

MAC Exhibition for LC to tour

Postby B4real » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:24 am

I don't know exactly where or specifically when but this exhibition seems to be touring from 2018 to 2022.
https://macm.org/en/touring-exhibitions ... verything/
LEONARD COHEN 2018 2022
A Crack in Everything
The Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (MAC) will be organizing and touring Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything, the first major exhibition on the great literary songwriter Leonard Cohen.
and here too -
http://ca.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/ ... vel-voiced
While the MAC has said its show will tour from June 2018 onward, as of today, April 4, it is still unable to confirm any exact dates or venues. Blouin ARTINFO will update as and when these become available.

I suspect it will not be coming to Australia :(
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
oldfriend28

Re: MAC Exhibition for LC to tour

Postby oldfriend28 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:05 am

Oh I hope it DOES come to Australia!
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:51 am

The exhibition in Montreal has been absolutely heaving this week as people are waking up to the fact that it is about to finish. I've been twice and both days have been overcrowded with long lines outside (fortunately I prebooked). I realise now just how spoilt we were to have those preview days in November. Even 9 November, the official opening day, was quiet by comparison to this week and I heard staff commenting how mad it is over the last few days. You can expect to wait 60-75 minutes to visit the Depression Chamber and it is almost impossible to get into the concert footage room, even to simply walk through. There are security people everywhere trying to control the crowds and keep things moving. The MAC has responded by adding an extra 3 days but it's hard to see how they can meet demand in the last week.

Whichever museums take the touring exhibition they're bound to have a sure fire hit on their hands.

Wendy
B4real

Postby B4real » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:22 am

Wendy,
It's good you were able to go so many times!
And I'm a bit surprised to hear the volume of people visiting the exhibition!
Mabeanie1 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:51 am
Whichever museums take the touring exhibition they're bound to have a sure fire hit on their hands.
We have some fine museums here downunder so maybe we could get lucky after all :)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Postby B4real » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 am

Update:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4610206

First we take Manhattan
Montreal museum is negotiating with institutions in NYC, Prague, Mexico City and elsewhere.
The museum is in regular talks with an institution in Manhattan, as well as others in San Francisco, Copenhagen, Prague and Mexico City.

One of the challenges of touring the expansive show, however, is finding institutions that can accommodate it.
"Even big museums couldn't take the totality of the show which here occupies six large rooms," Zeppetelli said.
...so where it travels all depends on logistics! ..... But Mexico City :o
B4real

Postby B4real » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:41 am

Update: First stop - San Francisco - I wonder if it will travel in the order listed above from San Francisco, but you would think Mexico City would be next :) But this is only part of the original exhibition so who knows!

http://artist-at-large.com/2018/04/05/j ... l-gallery/
https://fraenkelgallery.com/exhibitions ... hine-works
Fraenkel Gallery is presenting THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works, by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller, featuring the pair’s interactive tribute to the late Leonard Cohen. Made from a vintage organ, a collection of speakers and recordings of dozens of Cohen’s poems from his final book, Book of Longing, The Poetry Machine allows viewers to hear and play Cohen’s voice and texts as a haunting musical instrument. The piece, says Janet Cardiff, “creates new connections through all of the poems,” and gives participants the ability “to create new poems out of his words.” The installation debuted in an exhibition devoted to Cohen at the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal this winter. This will be its first U.S. presentation.

JANET CARDIFF & GEORGE BURES MILLER: THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works
Exhibition Dates: May 3 – July 5, 2018
Opening Reception: Thursday, May 3, 5:30-­7:30pm

FRAENKEL GALLERY
49 Geary Street
San Francisco
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 am

The complete Montreal exhibition is not going to San Francisco, it's the Poetry Machine!

From Rebecca Robertson. Press and Permissions Officer, Fraenkel Gallery:
I wanted to let you know about our upcoming art exhibition THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works, which I thought might be of interest to readers of The Leonard Cohen Files and The Leonard Cohen Forum. On view from May 3 to July 5 in San Francisco, it features Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller’s interactive tribute to Leonard Cohen. The Poetry Machine is made from a vintage organ, a collection of speakers, and recordings of Cohen reciting dozens of poems from his Book of Longing, many of which have never been publicly released. The piece allows viewers to hear and play Cohen’s voice and texts as a haunting musical instrument.
Here is the complete press release:
JANET CARDIFF &
GEORGE BURES MILLER
THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works
May 3 – July 5, 2018
Opening reception: Thursday, May 3, 5:30-7:30pm
FRAENKEL GALLERY
49 Geary Street, San Francisco

Fraenkel Gallery is pleased to present THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works, by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller, featuring the pair’s interactive tribute to the late Leonard Cohen. The Poetry Machine is made from a vintage organ, a collection of speakers and recordings of Cohen reciting dozens of poems from his Book of Longing, many of which have never been publicly released. The piece allows viewers to hear and play Cohen’s voice and texts as a haunting musical instrument. Says Janet Cardiff, it “creates new connections through all of the poems,” and gives participants the ability “to create new poems out of his words.” The installation debuted in an exhibition devoted to Cohen at the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal this winter. This will be its first U.S. presentation.

Also on view is Road Trip, an installation of slides made by Bures Miller’s grandfather in the 1950s, during a drive from Vancouver to New York City. Projected from a computer controlled carousel onto a standing screen, the slides show mostly empty landscapes, their color often changed by time. Accompanying them is a two-speaker recording of Cardiff and Bures Miller. In it, the artists consider what the enigmatic photographs might have meant to Anton Bures, who was traveling to New York to see a doctor for the cancer he was fighting. Cardiff and Bures Miller’s open-ended conversation uncovers questions about photography’s role in memory, time and the yearning for permanence.

In Sad Waltz and the Dancer who couldn’t dance, a robotically controlled marionette appears to play piano while a long-haired puppet dances erratically to music by Armenian composer Edward Mirzoyan. The piece premiered at the 14th Istanbul Biennial in 2015.

On view concurrently at the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum and Botanic Garden from April 7 to June 30 is FOREST (for a thousand years...), an audio installation set in a redwood grove that purposes more than 30 speakers to blend natural and manmade sounds. Commissioned for dOCUMENTA 13 in Kassel, Germany, this will be the West Coast debut of the piece, which is presented by UC Santa Cruz’s Institute of the Arts and Sciences, the San Jose Museum of Art, and UCSC’s Arboretum and Botanic Garden.

Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller are multidisciplinary artists whose work often explores sound. Their installations have been shown at the Metropolitan Museum of Art; MoMA PS1; National Gallery of Canada; and 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa, among many others. Their work is in the collections of public institutions including the Museum of Modern Art, New York; Tate, London; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and others.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
B4real

Postby B4real » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:29 am

If they're splitting the exhibition up, then there's a chance The Poetry Machine and/or other sections could come to Australia and NZ. But on the downside, the original effect of viewing the complete experience as it was intended would be lost!

You know, as we were the last countries that LC toured, it seems fitting that the whole exhibition should make its way down here!

Ah well, time will reveal all - and there's that "P" word coming into play again ;-)
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Bev and others - it strikes me that what you need to do is contact suitable galleries and lobby them to take the exhibition! It won't happen by itself. Most of the galleries have probably never heard of it for starters!

Wendy
B4real

Postby B4real » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:44 am

Wendy, that's an interesting suggestion! And you never know what might transpire :)

Return to “News”