Will there be posthumous disc?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
I'm your fan

Will there be posthumous disc?

Post by I'm your fan »

Hello and Happy New Year.
It's a long time since I posted here, but I've been searching for this topic here and I couldn't find anything.
Anyway, here is my question: Will be a posthumous disc? And by "A posthumous disc" I mean "TWO" posthumous discs. After Leonard Cohen's death, the news of his rythm and blues and string recordings with Patrick Leonard came out to general public:

https://www.google.es/amp/ew.com/articl ... album/amp/

As I said before, I've been searching for more information in the forum, but I haven't found nothing.
Will the recordings be published? Will they not because they are not completed? In case they are finished, is it a productor's or family's decision? Is there a post-production process in progress of those last recordings?
In summary, I'd like to know if those records are going to see the light (aka be published...)
Can anyone show any light on my question?

By the way, I wish those recordings could see the light some day... Or some year. Most likely this year!
As I write this I realize that if it is the case, it will be more than a year after Leonard's passed away! I just have read that in October of this year, his last poems will be published. I hope it will happen the same with his last recordings.
icecreamtruck

Re: Will there be posthumous disc?

Post by icecreamtruck »

I sure hope there will be. I don't expect that it will contain either of those projects but I hope it will contain things like the new version of "Book of Longing" which is so incredible.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

I still keep some hope that there will be an album in the (nearby?) future of unreleased songs and/or other recordings. For instance Patrick Leonard mentioned in his presentation in Amsterdam in August 2016 that they were working on different pieces similar to “ String reprise Treaty “. And, as I understood it then, they had already some finished . I would very welcome an album with those recordings. So time will tell but until then lets enjoy the works of LC that we already know ;-)
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
astranger

Post by astranger »

I dream of more live albums from the Grand Tour. Were all the shows recorded?
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

astranger wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 pm I dream of more live albums from the Grand Tour. Were all the shows recorded?
Yes, everything was recorded, Ed Sanders has that archive (or so I am told). There are many unpublished gems there, including the live version of Born In Chains (very different to the album version) and One of Us Cannot Be Wrong (played in several soundchecks but never during any of the shows).
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

astranger wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 pm I dream of more live albums from the Grand Tour. Were all the shows recorded?
I dream of unreleased album outtakes with unheard Cohen lyrics. Songs that Cohen deemed too profound to release at the time. Songs that he considered too beautiful that they might shortcircuit ears, too moving, they might explode hearts, and too insightful, they might shatter psyches.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

More Memories from The Grand Tour would be most welcome. A Singer Must Die was sang in Lissadell, and Vegas. Also the often performed version of Feels So Good from Katowice was exceptional too. Just 2 songs I remember been performed that never made it on the live records released.

Does anyone know if There is A War was ever performed in soundcheck? It is on the alternatives list on the set list for the final Las Vegas 2010 show. Probably on others too, but that one is on my wall, so just have to turn the head to read it :lol:
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

As I read what you and others experienced with Leonard, it feels obvious to me that he "knew" more than he ever let on. How he would just randomly turn up? C'mon....Leonard.
What a guy. What an impression he left on so many of us. And you received more than one
"chance" encounter. I am sure it felt miraculous and healing, even. I listen to him every night as I fall asleep. I feel if I ever saw his grave I would dissolve into a powerful grief.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

yopietro wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 pm I dream of unreleased album outtakes with unheard Cohen lyrics. Songs that Cohen deemed too profound to release at the time. Songs that he considered too beautiful that they might shortcircuit ears, too moving, they might explode hearts, and too insightful, they might shatter psyches.
Well put...!

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
depp91

Post by depp91 »

My ideas for archival releases:
- A series of concert CDs covering the tours from 1985, 1988 and 1993. There should be plenty of material to choose from. I'd prefer complete concerts in contrast to a selection of highlights.
- More selections from the tours between 2008-2013. Possible tracks include Born In Chains (2010 live version - a must!), It Feels So Good, more tracks from Old Ideas that weren't included on Live In Dublin,...
- A career spanning box set of outtakes, demos and recitations. Considering what he said in interviews, there should be lots of stuff to chose from. (Examples: I remember him mentioning recording Waiting For The Miracle for the I'm Your Man album, as well as lots of versions of Anthem, Always and Closing Time. A Street was written with Sharon Robinson in 2001, so maybe there are recordings available too. The songs from the last three albums are one he worked on for a long time, so there should be multiple recordings of those in general. Ah and I mustn't forget that new version of Book Of Longing from the Montreal Tribute last year!)

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

depp91 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am - More selections from the tours between 2008-2013. Possible tracks include Born In Chains (2010 live version - a must!), It Feels So Good, more tracks from Old Ideas that weren't included on Live In Dublin,...
I remember how excited I was to find out that Born in Chains was going to be included on Popular Problems, and then how disappointed I was when I put the CD in and pressed play for the first time to discover that it was rather different to the live version... :)

I've grown to love the version on Popular Problems for its own qualities, but still have a niggling sense of missingness that the truly wonderful live version was never included on any of the post-2010 live releases.
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

Yes, Born in Chains on Popular Problems is not the strongest version by a long shot. Nor did I like the uptempo part of "Did I Ever Love You." These were Patrick Leonard influences that I didn't care for!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

I don't think Patrick Leonard had much to do with "Born in Chains" ...
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

Re "Born in Chains," I was just surmising that Patrick Leonard might have done the arrangement but I am probably wrong. I just remember saying he would like to do it again, that it was just thumbtacked up for now.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Interestingly, in the Popular Problems CD booklet, Born in Chains is the only song on the album that has only Leonard Cohen's name, as composer, under the title of the song. All the other songs have LC's & Patrick Leonard's name, except for A Street, which is credited to LC & Anjani Thomas (just to be clear: these names, under the titles, refer to compositional credit, of course; there are a number of other names listed under the song titles & composer's name(s), which refer to instruments played & vocals; & PL is credited as producer of the album).

Return to “News”