THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Everything about Leonard Cohen's new book
gretabertella

Re: THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Post by gretabertella »

Maarten wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:44 am Well, perhaps some people are still proof reading it... :)

TheFlame.JPG
Maaaaaaaarteeeeeeeeen, stop it! You make our hearts bleed, toss and turn in the cradle of our chests, craving for the forbidden book. Alas, you are cruel!
Ok, no, I'm joking. You are just blessed and very lucky. (And a little bit cruel maybe, but just a little bit :lol: )
Actually, I like that I have to wait for reading The Flame.
Unfortunately, I've never met Leonard. And this thought sometimes makes me cry.
But precisely because of that, having something to wait for allows me to imagine he is still alive, sitting in his chair, holding the luminous Flame in his hands, working for our smile over again.
So - yes - I like to wait. As long as possible.
I'm not ready yet to kill - not to say to read - The Flame.

g.

[Ok, Maarten, I confess: I'm jealous! ;-) ]
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Oh, just to put things straight: I don't have an advance copy to proof read myself, I was merely posting this photo here... Alas...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
gretabertella

Post by gretabertella »

Maarten wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:07 am Oh, just to put things straight: I don't have an advance copy to proof read myself, I was merely posting this photo here... Alas...

Maarten
Oh, alas!, then you are not cruel at all, Maarten, and oh, alas!, you are suffering along with us all.
Oh, isn't that nice, to wait and suffer all together, my unknown friends? Aaaaaaalas!
;-)
dar

Post by dar »

I miss knowing that Leonard was out there breathing air somewhere. Interacting and sharing his life with others. Living. I have a feeling this final "Flame" will somehow bring me closer to what was eternal in him. He seemed to have a reached an indescribable level of consciousness at the end of his life. Well, indescribable for mere mortals. I've been such a believer in this man, it's as if I'm expecting the "Gospel of Leonard" to be published soon! Amen
gretabertella

Post by gretabertella »

dar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:11 am I miss knowing that Leonard was out there breathing air somewhere. Interacting and sharing his life with others. Living.
But he is here. He has always been here. The world is all forgetting, and the heart is a rage of directions, but his name unifies the heart, and the world is lifted into his place. Blessed are the ones who wait in Leonard's heart for his Flame.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here are the product details, copied from Amazon at https://www.amazon.ca/Flame-Leonard-Cohen/dp/077102441X
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: McClelland & Stewart (Oct. 16 2018)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 077102441X
ISBN-13: 978-0771024412
Shipping Weight: 567 g
Translations in several languages will also be published in the fall.

The date is also confirmed by McClelland & Stewart at https://penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/572 ... 0771024412

Hard cover CAN$ 32,95
eBook CAN$ 15,99

This info about the European edition in English comes from the European online seller Adlibris.com, https://www.adlibris.com/fi/kirja/the-f ... 0374156060
The final collection of the seminal musician and poet, which he was determined to complete before his death

Just weeks before his death in late 2016, Leonard Cohen told The New Yorker that he was ready for the end to come. He just wanted enough time to put his last book in order. Fortunately, that time was granted. The Flame is Cohen's eloquent farewell, a valedictory collection of lyrics, poems, notebook sketches, and self-portraits that maps his singular creative journey. As noted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's citation, "For six decades, Leonard Cohen revealed his soul to the world through poetry and song--his deep and timeless humanity touching our very core."

In addition to new poems about war, desire, regrets, lamb chops, and hummingbirds, and lyrics from his last three albums, including the chart-topping "You Want It Darker," The Flame includes carefully selected excerpts from Cohen's voluminous notebooks, which he kept faithfully over the years. Readers will find in these pages the subjects that have always preoccupied Cohen: the dimensions of love, the secret code of existence, and the hope for transcendence in a broken world.

In the words of Cohen's longtime manager and friend, Robert Kory, The Flame "reveals to all the intensity of his inner fire" to the end.

ISBN: 9780374156060
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Pages: 336
Hardcover
Price: 20,80 eur (in Finland)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
gretabertella

Post by gretabertella »

Thank you, Jarkko!
Yet, even though The McClelland & Stewart edition is due out on October 16th, Amazon.com says that the Farrar, Straus and Giroux edition is due out on October 2nd.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-Poems-Note ... lame+cohen

Moreover, this one has 336 pages, while the McClelland one counts just 288 pages.
A foreword's issue, or The Flame just burnt 48 pages? :shock:
We grope in the residual smoke of that huge fire.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

gretabertella wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:26 am Thank you, Jarkko!
Yet, even though The McClelland & Stewart edition is due out on October 16th, Amazon.com says that the Farrar, Straus and Giroux edition is due out on October 2nd.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-Poems-Note ... lame+cohen

Moreover, this one has 336 pages, while the McClelland one counts just 288 pages.
A foreword's issue, or The Flame just burnt 48 pages? :shock:
We grope in the residual smoke of that huge fire.
Wait until 18 October and you get 464 pages, apparently:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flame-Leonard- ... 120&sr=1-1

Simply physical size of book or ....?

Any advance on 464?

Wendy
gretabertella

Post by gretabertella »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm Wait until 18 October and you get 464 pages, apparently:
Wow, 128 pages more!
I'm gonna definitely wait for the October 18th edition, Wendy! :lol:
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I'm sure contents in all these editions will be the same! The font size, page layout and page size may vary, and thats why the number of pages is not identical. eBooks also often have more page than the print editions.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
B4real

Post by B4real »

I just found this cover art on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flame-Leonard- ... 1786893134

Here's a print listed as Burning Bush -
burning%20bush.jpg
burning%20bush.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 22003 times

Burning Bush (on No Middleman page) 2002.JPG
Burning Bush (on No Middleman page) 2002.JPG (36.11 KiB) Viewed 21987 times

Interesting connotations here. In the song Leonard just won a Grammy for You Want It Darker, the Hebrew word "Hineni" is translated as “Here I am”. Those words are said to be spoken by Moses when God speaks to him through the Burning Bush.

EDIT: Editing to include more info about the cover artwork at Cohencentric: https://cohencentric.com/
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

I have rivers of feelings and thougths, the most urgent being silence.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Some forthcoming editions:

GERMAN/ENGLISH EDITION:

Hard cover, 500 ages
Publisher: Kiepenheuer&Witsch (October 4, 2018)
ISBN-10: 3462052217
ISBN-13: 978-3462052213
Nora Bossong, Nicolai Kobus, Simone Kornappel, Nadja Küchenmeister, Léonce W. Lupette, Christian Lux, Kerstin Preiwuß, Ron Winkler

INTERNATIONAL EDITION (in English):

Hardcover 336 pages
Publisher: Farrar, Strauss and Giroux (October 2, 2018)
ISBN-10: 0374156069
ISBN-13: 978-0374156060
Size: 15,5 x 23,5 cm

(Information from Amazon Germany via Dominique)
B4real

Post by B4real »

I am waiting not so patiently ;-) for this book to be published!
Not that I want to wish my life away, but roll on October!!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Got an email today from “ Bol.com” which is the largest online bookseller in the Netherlands that the long awaited book “ The Flame” was available and would be delivered within 4 to 10 days.
Can anyone confirm that the release date has been changed? As far as I know the release date was October 16th.

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/the-flame/9200 ... ifications
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.

Return to “THE FLAME - news and information”