September 21 - Leonard's birthday

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
zodkavombie

Re: September 21 - Leonard's birthday

Post by zodkavombie »

You will remain in our hearts for ever. Thank you for all the good times you have given us.
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

No words to describe the loss that is still so deeply felt.....
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
anny

Post by anny »

Happy Birthday Leonard, you're still here in spirit, thank you !!!
Violet

Post by Violet »

resurrection.jpg
I miss him.

Violet
Violet
Kush

Post by Kush »

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna cross that river
I'm gonna catch tomorrow now
You're gonna wanna hold me
Just like I always told you
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
Nobody here will ever find me
But I'll always be around
Just like the songs I leave behind me
I'm gonna live forever now

When this old world has blown asunder
And all the stars from fall this sky
Remember someone really loves you
We'll live forever you and I

- Billy Joe Shaver
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

Happy Birthday, dear Leonard. Bittersweet this first one without you in our midst. I imagine you still being touched and bemused by all the fuss wherever you are, yet neither you nor us would have it any other way.

I miss Leonard, and occasions such as this heighten that entanglement of gratitude and longing. His life and creations are gifts beyond measure, and help to ease a way through. I always remember the hummingbird...

How fitting that just after Leonard's passing there was a rare celestial event, a special moon, and now Rosh Hashanah, a new beginning, right on this first birthday with Leonard amongst the stars. Special thanks for the wonderful posts by holydove and B4real, and for Dennis Barman's touching video tribute that Jarkko posted.

My thoughts are with Leonard's family and friends and all the fans who love him.
Will... If It Be Your Will
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie and Patrycja,
Thank you both for your kind words about my tribute to Leonard.
I shed some tears putting it all together.
My offering comes from the heart as does every single other post here.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

It is so hard to think of Leonard not being with us. However, I am so grateful for being in his presence in Las Vegas and Boston. Magnificent concerts and will never be forgotten, as will he.

Thank you Jarkko and this Forum for making this possible. Much love to his family and all of us who loved him. He will live forever and never be forgotten for the wonderful legacy he left us.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Vicomte wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm
how will they (the dead) manage to read Facebook? "

Anytime I am missing Leonard, I have albums, CD s and Dvd s to play and watch to remember him by.

Well said, Vicomte and Geoffrey.

One of the things I admired about Leonard Cohen was that he was never afraid to face up to reality, however unpleasant.

When you're dead you're dead.

Sad but true.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

It seems to me that threads like this are rather like funerals: they are for those who are still alive, providing a place and a way for people who choose to do so to express feelings, love, and memories for the departed. Some people obviously express themselves, remember, and grieve in different ways, and perhaps it would be nice if everybody could be respectful of that. If this sort of topic isn't your thing, fine, but there is no need to criticise and ridicule those who find solace here.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:52 pm It seems to me that threads like this are rather like funerals: they are for those who are still alive, providing a place and a way for people who choose to do so to express feelings, love, and memories for the departed. Some people obviously express themselves, remember, and grieve in different ways, and perhaps it would be nice if everybody could be respectful of that. If this sort of topic isn't your thing, fine, but there is no need to criticise and ridicule those who find solace here.
i have only a minute or two, but would like to thank those involved for their comments. don't know how it is elsewhere, but public announcements to dead people are quite strict where i reside, so i guess it is for a good reason. here, for example, are the rules of our newspaper that have to be obeyed when writing memory tributes. anyway, this is a very worthwhile discussion, and one that leonard would enjoy following, were he able to see it. stay cool . . . and peace :-)
minneord.jpg
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I wish like Facebook one could like a post because I very much like the post made by Geoffrey and endorse his comments 100%.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

clive cass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 pm I wish like Facebook one could like a post because I very much like the post made by Geoffrey and endorse his comments 100%.
thank you for all of the support. it proves that many people believe it is better to write about a deceased person than to them.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

So glad I wrote in the 3rd person style. I would hate to think I caused offence.

People have different approaches and different beliefs. Why not leave everyone to write their own message as they see fit?

Wendy
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:47 pmWhy not leave everyone to write their own message as they see fit?

Wendy
you mean let everyone write whatever they want with no rules? i don't think that would be such a good idea, wendy. it's probably best that someone keeps watch, or else who knows what might happen. anyway, sometimes people greatly benefit from being gently nudged in the right direction :-)

Return to “News”