"Crack in Everything" post-card

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Violet

Re: "Crack in Everything" post-card

Post by Violet »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:20 am thank you, violet, for spanking me with the metaphorical mechanical corset and lifting me back into the pram. you know i have an irritating habit of shaking a tree just to see if any fruit falls down - forgive me. i believe you may be right, the drug called 'crack' first became all the rage in the mid-1980s - so that would fit in with the time scale. leonard produced 'the future' not long afterwards, mentioning crack and sodomy, so was apparently influenced by all the talk.
You mean to say I might actually be onto something?

(I had no idea.)

What you say could be true, I guess, given the word itself was out there.

.. 'course, the word wasn't exactly new in a rock context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEvAvIGK-w
Violet
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello violet. firstly may i apologise for late response. a lot going on, the clock never seems to run out of petrol. secondly i wish to thank you for the david bowie link. i used to own his 'ziggy stardust' album, and the song that always refused to go to sleep after being put back into its comfortable sleeve was 'suffragette city', and 'cracked actor' is quite reminiscent of that song - the latter being much slower. you know, that tends to happen, a magnifying glass gets held over a golf course, and how exciting when a mole breaks though the turf. with dylan it was 'the titanic sails at dawn', five words inadvertently summing up our existence, mankind navigating from labour ward to graveyard. leonard once said "our hope lies in the distant seed" (as mentioned earlier in this forum), and that line stayed tattooed on the forearm of my soul. it made sense, could be understood. i still reach for him, but fear of ridicule is like a glue that seals one's lips. occasionally one hears a prosaic sentence, and exerting no effort, it gets pinned to one's memory. such as "two of those wonderfully fattening chocolate eclairs please, sam" from a movie that once seen cannot be unseen. anyway, enough of this rant. i leave you with an exclusive view of leonard during his final appearance in norway; you see, there was a crack in the curtains :-)
oslo.jpg
Violet

Post by Violet »

Hi again.

I wasn't sure if your last post required a response, only then I noticed a slight error in the line you cited from that movie we all know so well. (Seems I'm always correcting things.)

.. so.. just for you cinephiles out there, the correct version of the line goes:

"Play it again, Sam, once you've passed me two of those wonderfully fattening chocolate eclairs."

Now, by a process of elimination one assumes it was Ingrid Bergman's Ilsa who wanted the chocolate eclairs, since it couldn't possibly have been Humphrey Bogart's rather lean looking Rick.. but, no, it actually was Rick who was craving something both fattening and (nostalgically) Parisian to go with the bourbon he'd been downing ever since Ilsa's unexpected arrival in Casablanca. If this comes as a surprise to most of you it's because Director Curtiz wisely downplayed the weight problem Rick was battling for the more pertinent themes concerning Vichy water (I believe it was) as revealed in the last scene of the film. Of course, seeing that the Vichy water is disposed of for once and for all in that scene, the audience can safely assume that Rick and his beautiful new friend Captain Louis Renault (played so charmingly by Claude Rains) will soon be putting away some serious eclairs in the not-too-distant future -- confirming once again that the Germans were bested not by something as health enhancing as Vichy water, but by something luscious, and fattening, and dangerously French as the chocolate eclair.

To those of you in doubt as to the power of the eclair, I offer you the following etymology (from Wikipedia):

The word [eclair] comes from French éclair 'flash of lightning', so named because it is eaten quickly (in a flash).

Thus, our newly allied heroes, Rick and Louis, will, one assumes, not only be happily overweight for the conceivable future, but will get that way "in a flash," it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vY-4zWKsJM
Violet

Return to “News”