New book: LEONARD COHEN - His Essential Quotations

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

New book: LEONARD COHEN - His Essential Quotations

Post by jarkko »

Andrew Delaplaine (Author), Renee Delaplaine (Illustrator)
Series: Delaplaine Essential Quotations
Paperback: 58 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (December 22, 2016)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1541070402
ISBN-13: 978-1541070400
Here are his most essential quotations culled from as wide a variety of source materials available. They have been compiled, edited and carefully selected for inclusion in this book by that well-known Quote Collector, Andrew Delaplaine. The original illustrations are by his sister, Renee. Learn about the man’s wit and wisdom from his very own words.

About the Author
Delaplaine lives on South Beach, Miami’s Billion Dollar Sandbar. He writes in widely varied fields: screenplays, novels (adult and juvenile) and journalism. He also has a series of Long Weekend Guides covering 80 or more of his favorite cities around the world. Email: andrewdelaplaine@mac.com He writes several series: The JACK HOUSTON ST. CLAIR political thriller novels. “THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES IV,” a series of novels starring the great-great-grandson of the famous consulting detective. The AMOS FREEMAN detective series, beginning with the first book, MIDNIGHT MASS. “THE ANNALS OF SANTOPIA” series, an epic that follows a Santa born in 1900 through to his death 82 years later. Has written and directed three features (one doc, two narrative features), and won several awards for his film work. (See imdb.com for details). His latest film, “Meeting Spencer,” starring Golden Globe and Emmy winner Jeffrey Tambor, won the prestigious Milan International Film Festival Award for Best Screenplay. DELAPLAINE’S “LONG WEEKEND” GUIDES These no-nonsense guides contain Delaplaine’s recommendations and advice for travelers visiting these places for 3 or 4 days. Annapolis Appalachicola Atlanta Austin Berlin Beverly Hills Birmingham Boston Brooklyn Buenos Aires Cancún (Mexico) Cannes Cape Cod Charleston Charlotte Chicago Clearwater – St. Petersburg Coral Gables El Paso Fort Lauderdale Fort Myers & Sanibel Gettysburg Hilton Head Hollywood – West Hollywood Hood River (Ore.) Jacksonville Key West & the Florida Keys London Los Angeles / Downtown Las Vegas Lima (Peru) Louisville Marseille Martha’s Vineyard Memphis Mérida (Mexico) Mexico City Miami & South Beach Milwaukee Myrtle Beach Nantucket Napa Valley Naples & Marco Island New Orleans New York / Brooklyn New York / The Bronx New York / Downtown New York / Midtown New York / Queens New York / Upper East Side New York / Upper West Side Orlando & the Theme Parks Palm Beach Paris Philadelphia Portland (Ore.) Provincetown Rio de Janeiro San Francisco San Juan Sarasota Savannah Sonoma County
Thanks to Dominiqe Boile!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: New book: LEONARD COHEN - His Essential Quotations

Post by jarkko »

Customer review copied from Amazon:
I received this book (more a thick pamphlet, really), in today's post, about an hour ago. 58 pages indeed. Of which there are 8 pages of adverts (tourist guides, restaurant guides...!) and 15 pages of quotes about Leonard Cohen, from such informed and insightful luminaries as Prince Charles, The Edge, and Neil from The Young Ones. Of the 34 pages of quotes by Leonard Cohen (which is really what the whole book should be all about) some pages have only 4, 5, or 6 lines of text, quoted without order, source or context. The entire book consists really of a jumble of indiscriminate and wholly unsubtle copy-and-paste jobs from unnamed sources. It'll be back in the post tomorrow.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you for posting the review Jarkko. I wasn't going to say anything but seeing this post I must.
I was very disappointed in this book.
It appears to mostly be quotes I have seen before in many places. Lots of advertising and reviews which have nothing to do with quotes. The quotes are good of course as they are Leonard's words but none were new to me and there aren't that many.
I personally am looking for a quote I saw in one of my mother's Canadian magazines 35 years ago so thought I'd buy this book. I love Leonard's 'words of wisdom' (I choose my favorites that inspire me and keep a file on my computer) so a book of quotations intrigued me.
Thats my feedback but then again others may like it.
Leslie PY 8)
Last edited by mutti on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Thanks for posting your thoughts Leslie.
We usually post about the forthcoming editions when they are announced, often months before they are published.
It is important that we get comments from members who have the new books etc. and are able to share their views after reading the book.

Leonard's death has sadly tempted "authors" who only want to cash in his fame. The booklet we are discussing in this thread seems to be another "copy and paste" product without any merits.

Next I'd like to hear comments about these self-produced books:

https://www.amazon.com/LEONARD-COHEN-Re ... llustrated
A P Sparke: LEONARD COHEN - Complete Recordings Illustrated. Essential Discographies Book 32, 72 pages

https://www.amazon.fr/Leonard-Cohen-Jus ... NARD+COHEN
Ian Carroll: Just One More Hallelujah, 194 pages

(These might be quite ok, I just want to know before posting about them on The LC Files)
Ria Bellen

Post by Ria Bellen »

Agreed with the customers review on Amazon. I'm very very very disappointed !!!!!
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

The "Complete Recordings Illustrated" book by A P Sparke is no such thing. Not only is it not complete, but what is in its 60 pages is often inaccurate. Two examples of the shoddy writing are on page 3, even before we get to the first album: Leonard's first album is NOT called 'The Songs Of Leonard Cohen', and the correct title of one of his songs is 'Bird On The Wire'; 'Bird On A Wire' is the title of Tony Palmer's wonderful 1972 tour documentary. On page 19, there are no details of the recording dates/venues for the 'Cohen Live' album; pages 23 and 24 - three incorrect song-titles, and on page 25 there's a song (Chelsea Hotel #2) attributed to a Beacon Theater performance that comes after the end of the 'Live In London' concert. Clearly the writer does not possess the discs.
The 'Collaborations' listings on page 39 are incomplete; the 'DVDs' section omits the 'Live In Dublin' release, about which the writer is totally confused when you read his earlier text on page 29; and so on and so on. The final section 'Poems, Lyrics and Novels' is incomplete, incoherent and would be more than misleading for a newcomer to Leonard's work.
At £8.99 - extremely poor value for money. "Caveat emptor", as Leonard himself attested back in the mid-60s!! And an update could be "Caveat lector"

Apologies friends: this review should have the heading New book: LEONARD COHEN - Complete Recordings Illustrated.

Return to “News”