Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Roy

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by Roy »

I am completely shocked and saddened. I always thought Leonard Cohen was the type of person who would live to be 100, or even 120. Rest In Peace.
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

I never found religion, though I was always slightly jealous of those who found comfort in some form of belief. But ever since I was 14 there was one man who I could turn to in the darkest moments. His was a unique understanding of the interrelationships between love and death and war and sex and hatred and family and religion and laughter and loneliness. It could boost you out of even the darkest depths. I was just 15 when the Isle of Wight Festival brought him to my door. At two o'clock in the morning, after four non-stop days, I was unable to rouse any of my fellow travellers, so I made my way, alone, to the front of 600,000 people and spent a magical hour being swept away by Suzanne, Marianne, The Bird on a Wire, and The Partisan. Over the next 40 years I re-lived that experience a dozen times or more, and always came away rejuvenated. To hear of his death this morning leaves me very sad, but with a curious satisfaction at the knowledge of a life lived to something resembling total completeness, and a huge catalogue of 700 tracks that I can visit whenever I need to.
R. I.P. Leonard, and thank you from the bottom of my soul.
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
rike

Post by rike »

Rest in Peace, dear Leonard Cohen.
Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends--to all of us on this forum whom his work has touched so much.

He was honest to the end, from his beautiful lines for Marianne to his words of guidance on how to approach it, in the songs of his final album. But I believed him when he retracted in his own peculiar style--he planned to live forever. His words and melodies will.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
KIA

Post by KIA »

Last evening i felt profound sadness when i heard of leonard's passing. I had flown to nyc just an hour earlier by co-incident. Helplessly alone in my hotel room, i immediately took a cab to hotel chelsea to find that a few others where setting up a make shift memorial for him. I went to the wine store a block away bought a bottle of red wine from my hometown of napa and shared it with his fans. We left the last glass and the bottle for him while "waiting for a miracle" was playing. His words and music healed my soul over the years and his wisdom inspired many people. All my love to his fans and family, may his words heal the pain and lets hope for ethernal love. "a glass of wine, a cigarette and then it's time to go"

Kia
Last edited by KIA on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I wish Adam and Lorca a "Long Life" as is the phrase expressed to the children (parents and siblings) of a Jew who has died. In addition I would add the traditional blessing "May the Almighty comfort you amongst the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem"

Can I also express my heartfelt sympathies to the wider family and friends as well as all of Leonard;s fans on this forum and around the world.

Leonard has felt like a surrogate father to me for 40 years now and whilst none of us are entitled to any piece of a person whose only connection to us is their life as a performing artist I am utterly convinced that Leonard knew of his status to many of his fans and accepted to a degree his position and allowed us some part of his incredible heart.

It always seemed to me that Leonard understood life on a level that most of us could not and whilst he himself at times struggled with his own life he so often provided some comfort to others with their own difficulties including myself.

His music, often crudely described as depressing, was in fact the very opposite. I found it so uplifting especially in times of need as his voice, music and words managed to provide so much comfort and even understanding to my feelings.

Leonard has provided so much richness to my life and joyous times at his concerts and events and talking to others about him as well as just in private contemplation of the man, his music and poetry.

Thanks for your life and the memories.
Last edited by clive cass on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
Roy

Post by Roy »

THE LATEST CBS VIDEO : LEONARD COHEN - 3 MINUTES AND 10 SECONDS
http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/singe ... -has-died/
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
grandfather

Post by grandfather »

So Long Leonard, from Italy. With your famous blue raincoat and your crazy woman near the river, your hunchback stepped into an avalanche and your King lost in the Beauty. You're in my deep, with the need of you...
Simon

Post by Simon »

So long LC... You live on in my heart.
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
Lataborda

Post by Lataborda »

Eskerrik asko guztiagatik, Leonard, gure Euskal Herriko etxean, beti entzungo dira zure kanta hunkigarriak.
Adam, Lorca, besarkada haundi bana!

Thank you, Leonard, in our house in the Basque Country they will always listen your beautiful songs.
Adam, Lorca, my condolences.
Susan B.

Post by Susan B. »

There are no words.

The last track on the new album might be the most arrestingly beautiful final song of a career ever created.
Danny57

Post by Danny57 »

'Our man' Leonard Cohen passed away, such a very sad day. He gave us so much with his songs, his poems, the concerts and his kindness. I'm so glad I've met him in 2013 the day of his 79th Birthday. We sang a birthday song for him and he listened very intently as only Leonard could do. The moment he shook my hand is burned in my heart. Thank you so much, Leonard, may your rest in peace, we will never forget you.
Bunbun

Post by Bunbun »

Laughing Leonard, RIP, you kept our days gleeful with your good humour, your charm and your music & books. We will miss you. :(

It was so sad to hearth tragic news today that an artist of this fine calibre who has finally "...cut the cord.." and has passed on. I will always remember him with great love as his albums have brought me through my teenage years in 1972 right up to now (56). He has always played a part in my life and his music has always been a cut above all other musicians. This has ben proven with the concert "Came So far For Beauty" where over 40 different artists, of world renown, joined together to sing his praises using his songs.

I would like to add that his current album "You want it darker" is one of the greatest albums I have heard.

Leonard, keep on playing that mean guitar and keep them all entertained and you can now speak again to Marianne and hold her hand again.

Keep on playing your guitar and entertaining.
silverangel

Post by silverangel »

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

I was completely shocked hearing the news this morning.

I wish the family and friends of Leonard a lot of strenght and wisdom dealing with this huge lost and sadness.

Thanks Leonard for writing beautiful , wise songs who guided me in life from time to time.

R.I.P. old friend.
Boro

Post by Boro »

I thought that listening at the last CD everyday was a preparation for his death and it was indeed. But of course it's not been enough. I'm completely devastated and cannot stop crying. His loss is inmense, I've lost my guide for so many things during almost all my life, the one he saved very often.

I am in panic.

And so sad
devilsinkwell

Post by devilsinkwell »

Farewell my friend and inspiration ,condolences to all leonards family ,rest in peace .
dublin june 14th manchester 18th june birmingham nov 22nd manchester nov 30th

Return to “News”