Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Henning

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by Henning »

With Lenny gone
Whose eyes do compare with the morning sun
Not that I did compare
But I do compare
Now that he's gone
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Command-Er

Post by Command-Er »

This graceful, humble, articulate man has left the table but I don't think he is out of the game.

Thank you Mr Cohen, not least for one last album of deep and thoughtful songs.
himjmw

Post by himjmw »

I'm heartbroken too.
I saw him 11 times,( never enough) met him once in 2008 and I can't watch a dvd or hardly listen to his music without breaking down.

May god find us the peace that Lenny now enjoys.

Joe Baillie , Halifax UK.
rpan

Post by rpan »

Apologies if already posted - a few words from Rufus Wainwright in a radio interview about Leonard Cohen's death:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainm ... ns-9318995
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
rainfarn

Post by rainfarn »

Thank you Dear Leonard
For a longtime compagnionship. For Poetry and Music.
For founding a very valuable Friendship to Someone from a foreign Country. Your songs were always there (and will be), when we have the chance to met.
For the one Concert I was able to attend, a real gift.

There is a crack in everything.
That´s how the light gets in.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Lovely tribute special in the new issue of the Irish publication, Hotpress, out today.
Terri31

Post by Terri31 »

I'm so thankful to this man. His was the first album I ever bought, back in 1970, I've loved him and he's been with me ever since, barely a month goes by without me listening to his songs. I'm heartbroken by his death but I also know he will never be gone. As others have said, he has been my companion throughout my life, my gentle guide, taught me so much, helped me to discover what I loved, who I am, what is important to me when I was a 16 year old far from home with no idea of the world or myself. I can't express how important this lovely, gentle soul is to me. There will never, of all those I've never met, be anyone so important and so loved. thank you and rest bathed in love and light.

Swansong... Ode to Leonard Cohen

his song
yours
his voice
the deepest
caress
his guitar
your mystified heart
his hand
strumming the rhythm
of your calling
his solace
tuning the longing
of your soul

~
With love and thanks to the best of mankind
TVLS
BKoffman

Post by BKoffman »

So sad.

Leonard and I both attended the same Zen monastery and the same synagogue, both of us Jews from Montreal relocated to LA.

I just read that he died of leukemia. I too have leukemia. Does anyone know the type?

I work as the founder and volunteer medical director of the nonprofit CLL Society to educate others about my particular flavor of cancer, namely chronic lymphocytic leukemia or CLL so they can get their best possible care, so I would interested in knowing more about his illness. Many with CLL chose not to share their diagnosis and I am very respectful of that choice.

Mostly I am just sad. Hoped for selfish reasons that he had another 10 years in him. His music is always rattling around in my head.

Stay strong my friends

We are all in this together

Brian Koffman MD
Bkoffman@CLLSociety.org
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Let me guess, that fall would have had something to do with some complication to leukaemia.
dannycarey

Post by dannycarey »

Took me some days to think about what has happened.

I think it was the day before we've all heard the sad news, when I was driving through the city in my car and listening to Leonard answering some questions about his new album on the radio.

Unbelievable that he's gone now.
I felt in love with his music when I was 20 or 21 and I was lucky to have seen him playing live twice in Germany around the same time that I had just discovered him.
Over the years I've shaken many musician's hands and met some of my icons and I always thought that I might meet Leonard one day, too.
Unfortunatly this won't happen anytime soon or anywhere near.

My condolences to his family and everyone around. May he rest in peace, but he will never be forgotten.
Mrhush

Portrait of a lifetimes moment...

Post by Mrhush »

Hi I am Bill a portrait artist and I hope it's OK to share this here...
Leonard Cohen:
Leonard was always part of my father’s record collection and so I grew up with the sublime sounds of Mr Cohen rumbling through the house. However it was not until I was 15 years old that I truly encountered the soul of Len. I had my own suitcase record player and was rifling through my fathers collection and dug out ‘Songs Of Love and Hate’ I remember placing the needle on the opening track… a slight crackle…beautiful hypnotic guitar, a wave of violin and then “I stepped into an avalanche it covered up my soul….” I was arrested in the moment, frozen to the spot. I clutched the album cover and simply stood there staring at the vinyl spinning around. Cohen connected with me on a level I had never experienced before and has continued to do so throughout my life. Suzanne was one of the first songs I learnt to play on the guitar. I was privileged enough to see him perform live in a small theatre in Manchester when he retuned to the road after his long absence looking after his mentor in the California mountains. I was expecting to see an old man creeping on stage and croaking a set… an immaculately suited man ran on stage and performed for nearly three hours… I was arrested in the moment, frozen to the spot. Thank you Leonard Cohen.
https://vimeo.com/192237246
Jaynie Abbott

Post by Jaynie Abbott »

Like so many who loved this humble, deep, honest and wonderful man Leonard, I am numb with his loss . He has been part of my heart,day and life since the early 60's, long before leaving school, having a husband and children and grand children..I have grown with him and become deeper in to his words, music, sentiment, vision and life, and now the living candle burns no more , but the soul candle burns brighter.
Thank you Leonard Norman Cohen for all you have given freely to my life and heart, you are singing to me now from another room, fly free and be at peace, you have left us so much to hold you closer by, and you will sing to me on my journey when my end comes..It is carved in stone, love always..My heart goes out Lorca, Adam and families, to Sharon Robinson, Hattie and Charley and all the earlier and later members of Leonard's backing bands, no-one can fill the void left by your dear friend.Be at peace, he lives on and on and on ......
Last edited by Jaynie Abbott on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mingxin

Post by Mingxin »

Love & Profound Appreciation
I loved Leonard Cohen from the very first time I heard his 1967 debut album when I was 15 years old (a teen baby boomer). His flowing melodies and strange, beautiful lyrics enchanted me. Cohen became a part of my Canadian identity. What do I mean by that? Hard to explain but it was like I was proud to be Canadian because Leonard was too, something like that.

When he was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, Adrienne Clarkson, our then Governor-General, spoke words that seemed to come straight from my own heart. Deeply touched such that he cried, Leonard responded in his humble, generous and eloquent way: "Dear friends, the brevity and poverty of these remarks [his] do not reflect the abundance of feeling in my heart for all of you and the deep hospitality you have given to my work over the years..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3tMW65t60

Since Leonard's passing, I have read many articles on him and watched many videos of/about him and his music and time again find myself crying afresh. I feel sad, yes, and empty and full at the same time. Empty with a sense of loss and full with the thankful belief that he WAS who he came to BE and DID what he came to DO; that he moved on, satisfied with the life he'd lived and shared with the world and satisfied with the way he'd been able to touch the hearts of so many. God bless his beautiful soul. If anyone should care to read my tribute blog, I'd be honoured. If you do, please leave a comment. I'd really like that. http://ramonamckean.com/if-it-be-your-w ... ard-cohen/
LiiviSandra11

Post by LiiviSandra11 »

Dear Leonard,
Rest in peace. I admire your wonderful creation everyday. I really love "Dance me to the end of love", "Heart with no companion", "The Partisan", "Closing time".....and all the other songs.

Always in my memories!
Hallelujah <3
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

cohenadmirer wrote: . . . that's why i also feel a need to know more about why and how he died. I hope that doesn't sound like too much of a invasion of privacy.
not to me, dave; i believe it's quite natural - although people react differently. well, you mentioned somewhere that you had qualifications within psychology, so i suspect you are likely to know more about the human condition than myself. on another website there has been a constructive discussion precisely about the scant details surrounding leonard's passing, instigated by . . . well, you can probably guess (!) - it felt good to be able to give freedom to thoughts we might not otherwise have dared to share. stay cool :-)

"help me, for a grave divides me from all that i love" - (leonard cohen 'beautiful losers')
254.jpg
judaism does not employ the cross symbol, but leonard had respect for all religions. therefore i hope and believe he will forgive me for corrupting reality on this occasion.

Return to “News”