Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MarieM

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by MarieM » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Leonard as seen through the eyes of his friend Leon Wieseltier

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/opini ... raise.html

The New York Times

My Friend Leonard Cohen: Darkness and Praise
By LEON WIESELTIER
NOV. 14, 2016

“Dear Uncle Leonard,” the email from the boy began. “Did anything inspire you to create ‘Hallelujah’”? Later that same winter day the reply arrived: “I wanted to stand with those who clearly see G-d’s holy broken world for what it is, and still find the courage or the heart to praise it. You don’t always get what you want. You’re not always up for the challenge. But in this case — it was given to me. For which I am deeply grateful.”

The question came from my son, who was preparing to present the most irresistible hymn of our time to his fifth-grade class and required a clarification about its meaning. The answer came from the author of the song, who was for 25 years my precious friend and comrade of the spirit. Leonard Cohen was the most beautiful man I have ever known.

His company was quickening in every way. The elegance and the seductiveness were the least of it. The example of his poise was overwhelming, more an achievement than a disposition, and much more than an affair of style.

He lived in a weather of wisdom, which he created by seeking it rather than by finding it. He swam in beauty, because in its transience he aspired to discern a glimpse of eternity: There was always a trace of philosophy in his sensuality. He managed to combine a sense of absurdity with a sense of significance, a genuine feat. He was hospitable and strict, sweet and deep, humble and grand, probing and tender, a friend of melancholy but an enemy of gloom, a voluptuary with religion, a renegade enamored of tradition.

Leonard was, above all, in his music and in his poems and in his tone of life, the lyrical advocate of the finite and the flawed. As he wrote to my son, who was mercifully too young to understand, he was possessed by a lasting sensation of brokenness. He was broken, love was broken, the world was broken.

But “Famous Blue Raincoat” notwithstanding, this was not the usual literary abjection, or any sort of bargain-basement Baudelaireanism. Leonard’s reputation for bleakness is very imprecise. His work documents a long and successful war with despair. “I greet you from the other side of sorrow and despair/ With a love so vast and shattered it will reach you everywhere.” The shattering of love has the effect of proliferating it.

Leonard had an unusual inflection for darkness: He found in it an occasion for uplift. His work is animated by a laudatory impulse, an unexpected and profoundly moving hunger to praise the world in full view of it. His attitude of acceptance was not founded on anything as cheap as happiness.

Leonard sang always as a sinner. He refused to describe sin as a failure or a disqualification. Sin was a condition of creatureliness, and his feeling for our creatureliness was boundless. “Even though it all went wrong/ I’ll stand before the Lord of song/ With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah!”

The singer’s faults do not expel him from the divine presence. Instead they confer a mortal integrity upon his exclamation of praise. He is the inadequate man, the lowly man, the hurt man who has given hurt, insisting modestly but stubbornly (except in “I’m in Your Man,” when he merrily mocked himself) upon his right to a sacred exaltation.

Leonard wrote and sung often about God, but I am not sure what he meant by it. Whatever it was, it inspired “If It Be Your Will,” his most exquisite song. He sought recognition for his fallenness, not rescue from it. “There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” He once told an interviewer that those words were the closest he came to a credo. The teaching could not be more plain: fix the crack, lose the light.

All this gave Leonard’s laughter an uncommon credibility. He put punch lines into some of his most lugubrious songs. He delighted in expressing serious notions in comically homely ways. (On ephemerality, from an unreleased early version of a song: “They oughta hand the night a ticket/ for speeding. It’s a crime.”) We laughed all the time. At the small wooden table in his kitchen the jokes flew, usually as he prepared a meal. While he was genuinely in earnest about the pursuit of truth, Leonard had a supremely unsanctimonious temperament. Whether or not darkness was to be relieved by light, it was to be relieved by lightness. Before Passover, which commemorates the biblical exodus, he sent this: “Dear bro, happy Pesach. I miss Egypt! Love and blessings, Eliezer.” Before Shavuot, which commemorates the giving of the Torah in the desert, he sent this: “Dear bro, See you at Sinai. I’ll be wearing headphones! Love and blessings, Eliezer.” The laughter of the disabused was yet another of his gifts.

Eliezer was his Hebrew name. We sometimes read and studied together, Lorca and midrash and Eluard and Buddhist scriptures and Cavafy. We could get quite Talmudic, especially with wine. In Judaism there is a custom to honor the dead by pondering a text in their memory. Here, in memory of Eliezer ben Natan ha’Cohen, is a passage on frivolity by a great rabbi in Prague at the end of the 16th century. “Man was born for toil, since his perfection is always being actualized but is never actual,” he observed in an essay on frivolity. “And insofar as he attains perfection, something is missing in him.

In such a being, perfection is a shortcoming and a lack.” Leonard Cohen was the poet laureate of the lack, the psalmist of the privation, who made imperfection gorgeous.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
tombrisbane

Post by tombrisbane » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:26 pm

I don't have sufficient words to describe how saddened by Leonard's passing. I learned of him from my father and my earliest memories are of my father singing Leonard Cohen songs to me. I'm much older now and my father passed away 4 years ago, as was fitting we had many Cohen songs throughout his funeral so my earliest memories of my father and the last ones I have are forever linked with the gifts that are Leonard Cohen songs.

Thank you for everything Mr Leonard Cohen, you'll never be forgotten.
martisan

Post by martisan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:44 pm

I have loved Leonard's music for so many years, yet I have no sense of tragedy at his passing. He surely knew life well enough to look clear eyed, open hearted and unflinching into the death that awaits all of us.
This smokey life is light he told us, "light enough to let it go."

It was only after emerging from my own monastery years that I learned Leonard too had been there. I have since met several Dharma brothers and sisters that were with him at Mount Baldy, or were friends with him in Mumbai afterwards. I celebrate the depth of his exploration of life, the potency of his practice, and the jewels of poetry and beauty that he shared with us all.

Godspeed Leonard. What good fortune for us all to have lived and loved a little with you.
irundel

Post by irundel » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Dear Leonard Cohen,

it was Friday morning at 5 o'clock when I read you were gone. My heart stood still for a moment and I couldn't breathe. Even this early day seemed to be soaked with sadness - it was raining, the wind was hunting dark clouds and the leaves were falling. Some days before I had bought your last album. Listening to it I knew, it was a Good-bye to your friends from all over the world. But I hoped I would be wrong. I hoped it so deeply. Did you know who essential you have been to lots of people? And also for me? You have saved me several times. When I was restless or unhappy, I escaped in your great cosmos of songs. I stayed there for a while and after returning I was comforted and had got my power back. Your songs have accompanied me most of my lifetime. They belong to me. And they will ever belong to me.
But despite all sadness I'm grateful to have lived at the same time like you. I'm grateful that I could meet you in person on stage. For example I remember deeply touched your "Old Ideas World Tour" - Berlin, Waldbühne, 5. September 2012. Unforgettable.
In my thoughts I'm also with your family who has to struggle with this big lost. And I also want to thank your son Adam who encouraged and supported you to make your last album, your Farewell.

Leonard, wherever you may be at this moment -with the angels or not - please think of us! (and excuse my poor English and all the Grammar-mistakes...)

Yours Irundel
TGuy

Post by TGuy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:37 pm

To Adam, Lorca and family, my love and thoughts are with you. May you know no more sorrow.

המקום ינחם אתכם בתוך שאר אבלי ציון וירושלים ולא תוסיפו לדאבה עוד
2008: Prague, l'Olympia Paris | 2009: Tel Aviv | 2010: Moscow | 2012: l'Olympia Paris
"So come my friends, be not afraid. We are so lightly here ..."
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted in here yet.

Anyway, it's a shortened YouTube version of LEONARD COHEN - The Last Interview (September 2016) published by David Remnick on Nov 10th:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PqY-VgSsI

Andrew D.
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
ronumd

Post by ronumd » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Dear Leonard,

Thank you for your wisdom, your warmth and your humanity. Thank you for never hiding from your Jewish identity, but rather amplifying it and for paving a path to others, young and old, trying to reconcile the struggle with optimism. May your memory be a blessing.

To Lorca and Adam, and all of the family, friends and bereaved: May the Almighty comfort you amongst the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

Aaron
sean hiboy

Post by sean hiboy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Dear All,

Following the news of Leonard's passing the following poems came to me as I walked the streets of Derry last Friday Morning trying to make some sense of the news. I was lucky enough to see him live twice, once in 2008 and again in 2012 both times he exceeded all expectations on every human level God bless him.
With much love and music enjoy:.

How can a Mountain disappear

I got the message from Los Angeles
saying you were gone
there's been some mistake I thought
somebody's got it wrong

How can a Mountain disappear
A whole Sea get swallowed up
Stunned I sat in silence
Tears falling into my cup

Outside the Dawn was breaking
the Darkness ebbed away
Rejoice in the Morning
is what it seemed to say

So I embraced the Sorrow
with a heavy hearted sigh
and switching on the Radio
heard you singing 'Hey
that's no way to say Goodbye'

Endless Love

Leonards always out there now
smoking in the Rain
nodding at the pretty girls
like some old exiled King

Raincoat buttoned up
Fedora at a rake
His Heart, deep and open
giving more than it would take

seeking out the melodies
and the words as old as time
its always been his destiny
to enrich your life and mine

Stepping into a Doorway
to let the thunder pass
he hears the steeple bell
calling time for mass

then through the little graveyard
up to a door of Oak
he lifts the latch and enters....
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Dear Adam, Lorca, and all Leonard's family and friends. I hope you can find comfort in knowing how loved Leonard was, is, and will be forever. No one has impacted my life in the way that he did, and to say I am broken hearted is an understatement.

RIP dear poet. All my love, always. Thank you for the memories.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
himjmw

Post by himjmw » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Dear Lorca , Adam . No one of us can express enough our genuine sadness at this very dark time for you .
I was so fortunate to meet your father when your beautiful Aunt brought me to " meet my brother " in 2008 in NYC in a venue called Joes's pub . To me he was serenity , peace and gentlemanship .
You knew the real Leonard better than anyone and my heartfelt condolences to you .
May he finally be at peace as he always longed for in his work .
In the words of Lou Reed , let's us be all thankful that we were all alive at the same time he was

Joseph Baillie , Halifax . U.K

PS. What are we all going to do now that he has gone.?

Coninue to celebrate what he left us with
Last edited by himjmw on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 pm

I forgot to mention the friends. To my mind they are family if they are as close as this. this is why.

Now that I am here.

Maybe it is my particular way to mourn. But I can't help seing signs in the sky. Like this supermoon. And the fact that it appears 7 days after the 7, which is a sacred number in the Jewish tradition.

Seven

Seven is one of the greatest power numbers in Judaism, representing Creation, good fortune, and blessing. A Hebrew word for luck, gad, equals seven in gematria. Another Hebrew word for luck, mazal, equals 77.

The Bible is replete with things grouped in sevens. Besides the Creation and the exalted status of the Sabbath, the seventh day, there are seven laws of Noah and seven Patriarchs and Matriarchs. Several Jewish holidays are seven days long, and priestly ordination takes seven days. The Land of Israel was allowed to lie fallow one year in seven. The menorah in the Temple has seven branches. The prophet Zechariah describes a strange celestial stone with seven eyes (Chapter 4).

This emphasis on seven continues post-biblically with seven wedding blessings, seven circuits performed about a groom, and seven days of mourning after the death of a close relative.

Events, prayers,and esoteric observances that involve multiples of seven are also common. Entities both natural (gold) and supernatural (angels) are often grouped by sevens (I Enoch 20; II Enoch 19). Seven is a factor in many occult elements and events.

The first verse of the Torah consists of seven words and seven is the recurrent number in Pharaoh’s divinatory dreams in Genesis. The walls of Jericho fall after the Israelites encircle it seven times. In the Zohar, the seven lower sefirot are those aspects of God that are present in asiyah, our world of action. Seven is also the preferred number in spells, magic squares, amulets, and the like (Genesis 7:2; I Kings 18:43; Deuteronomy 16:9; Pesahim 54a; Sotah 10b).

Then now you have 7 + 7 = 14
14 is the number of his last album
14 of novembre is the superfullmoon to be seen... once in a blue moon

1+4 = 5

Five

There are five books of Moses and five divisions to the Psalms. Magical/mystical texts are also sometimes separated into divisions of five. Five is the number of protection, as symbolized in the hamsa,the talismanic hand.

Shalom!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
phammond

Post by phammond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:19 pm

I was devastated when I heard that Leonard had passed away and since then have done nothing else apart from listening to his songs and still have a terrible feeling of loss. What a wonderful man who has no equal. I offer my condolences to his family and hope that Adam can release any work what is father could not finish. Leonard helped me through a difficult time and my life, RIP my friend.
Leonardfan1

Post by Leonardfan1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:16 pm

When I heard the sad news and I cried. I feel that a good friend has passed.
A month ago, I wrote a poem about Leonard. I don’t know why, but it just came out. It’s one of the first poems that I ever wrote in my 59 years. I never meant to show this to anyone. I am not a poet and the poem sucks, but under the circumstances I just wanted to honor Leonard with it today.

Thank you Leonard

Thank you Leonard for being there for me
Thank you Leonard for being there with me.
Thank you Leonard for being there in my time of need.
Thank you Leonard for being my friend.
Thank you Leonard for helping me in the end.

You’re with me when I need you.
You’re with me when I don’t
You’re with me in spirit
You help me when I won’t

I don’t know why you help me.
It must be your voice.
Could it be an escape?
Of course there is no debate

When I need you you’re always there
It seems like you just magically appear
Just to hear.
It brings me magnificent absolute cheer.

I’m going through stormy times now
The wind blows cold through my soul
I look to you to help me achieve my goals.
My evil negative thoughts you always disallow

You give me hope
You give me peace
You give me pleasure
You really are a magnificent treasure.

When there is horrible fright
Sometimes I just want to take flight
Then your music and poetry guide me to new heights
I listen to you into the dark silent night
Then everything seems all right

I’m going through bad times right now.
Unemployment, moving and a divorce
My money and life will soon be gone
I have so much remorse

Your songs fill me with hope
Your songs fill me with promise
Your songs create my tears
I hope your songs eliminate my fears.

I know we’ve never met.
I’ve seen you so many times.
You are my true friend.
And there have never been regrets

I’ve noticed the many signs.
The way you looked at me.
Like there is a spiritual connection
You’re in my life in so many ways
It is so hard to say
My passwords are you
My stuffed animals too

I know you had hard times too
I tried reaching out to help you
Spoke to a friend of yours who you told to say thank you
Thank you Leonard for being my true friend
I just hope it will never end.

Your Darkness speaks to me
It’s what I am going through.
I can’t wait to hear more.
I can’t wait to soar.
segelregina

Post by segelregina » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:39 pm

My deepest condolences to Leonard Cohens family and friends.

Dear Leonard Cohen,
thank you so much for your spirit and thoughts and words and music and songs you gave to us.
All that accompanied me since I've been 15 years old.
And it will never end.
And I hope the same for the world.
It's so important.
With my sincere thanks
Regina
1980 / 85 / 88 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava, Las Vegas (2x) / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zurich, Amsterdam
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Instagram:

patrickmarty29 RIP Leonard Cohen ❤

Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “News”