Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
oul

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by oul »

Please send sincere condolences to Leonard's family and friends I am so sorry for your loss. Leonards songs books and poems gave reached out to me since 1970 and I feel an emptiness I cannot describe Leonard was so wonderful to gift us with his last album which has soothed my loss a loss which must be so small in comparison to that felt by his family kind regards
daniD

Post by daniD »

Good evening,

we are still shocked since yesterday morning we heard leonard has passed away...

any words may express our deep deep sadness. May the blessings be always be with him as he wished the same to us whenever ending his concerts.

We also think about Adam and Lorca and feel close to them and hope there are beloved people helping them through this dark time. But remember the both of you: there is a crack in everything...some day!

I hope I could express clearly, what I intended to "say".... at that time my english seems to fade ou of my head.
zenon5

Post by zenon5 »

We're all orphans now, he was only passing through....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQa01ISZRI
Thank you for the many ways you have touched my life
bella

Post by bella »

a bow for leonard cohen- love, gratitude and respect
long life to adam and lorca and all his family
sincere thanks to jarkko and marie
to follow your muse and be so loved takes a rare soul
thank you
dreamermusic

Post by dreamermusic »

Lots of tears from my eyes. My idol since I was 15. He´ll be alive forever iin my heart and mind and in our live concerts with our Cohen´s Tribute Band "A Bunch Of lonesome Heroes" where I'm the singer. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Xa29 ... 5sUZVdoiRw

https://www.facebook.com/abunchoflonesomeheroes/.

He´ll never die for me.

Love you so much, my dear Leonard. Forever alive. THANKS SO MUCH, FRIEND!!!
Attachments
12240032_1019980358059920_4174477794041412955_n.jpg
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
murrayter

Post by murrayter »

DarkBalkanSubject wrote:Few weeks ago, as I turned on the radio in my car, I heard his song playing and my blood chilled and rushed to my head... I had to pull over and frantically search the news online... only to find out seconds later that it was a re-run of his USA's NPR / Terry Gross / Fresh Air's interview, from 2006 I think.

I had lived through this news. So now, when it came, it somehow did not feel that abrupt and... painful... until it started to settle...

I am so thankful that he gave us what our own words and minds could not, but badly needed, still badly need.

Лека ти пръст, Леонард, почивай в мир!

p.s.
I had tickets for his last New York concert. Bought them some 10 months in advance, but ended up missing the show because of reasons outside of my control. Ever since then, I have been sure that there will be another tour. I was even ready to travel to any destination in the world, to see him live...

Following the "car" episode I - desperately, naively, felt that I have to force a concert. The ludicrous idea became to materialize, when a friend help me talk it trough and kinda said "why not". The plan was to crowd-fund the rental of a couple of nights of the LA concert hall under a fake act, then round up the musicians from his last tour and albums. All this swiftly and in secrecy from him until as late as possible. So that EVERYTHING would be setup for him to just come, sit in a chair, sing a few songs and go back home.

Researching for contacts, I started seeing all the news reports of his health... his son's account of how the album was recorded, his own words about what was coming... I felt a little ashamed of my selfishness, but then I thought how right it would feel, if such an event happens as a tribute... even without him, if all the people from both sides of the curtain, who loved and appreciated his work got together to celebrate and say one last thank you!

Today I hope that someone does organize something like this. It will be my, and I think many others' closure. I so much hope for something like this to happen

I think that would be a great idea
Actually

Post by Actually »

There's not much I can say.

But I want to express my deepest condolences to everyone, who was close to him.

What a terrible loss for his family and friends.
And for us. And for the entire world.

I still can't believe it. And in a way I hope I never will.

Good bye, Mr. Cohen. Thank you for everything.
JimZ

Post by JimZ »

Silence
and a deeper silence
when the crickets
hesitate

Since this sad news, it certainly feels like even the crickets did hesitate.

As a young man, your words struck a chord in my heart that left me forever changed. Your golden voice, your poetry, both raw and fine, have inspired and moved me. And in a world where the future is murder, your words have brought a honey coated comfort to its sharp and jagged edges.

For those of us who have loved you and your work, there is now a bitter searching of the heart, from which we hope to rise and, and perhaps, thanks to your undying words, we may all play a greater part.

Au revoir dear Leonard, for 'goodbye', is no way to say goodbye.

JimZ
Malta
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

http://www.vg.no/rampelys/musikk/leonar ... /23845680/

***just read the very first post in this thread on page 1 / Jarkko***

Thanks, the first post has been changed to contain more information, I see that now.
Last edited by BlizzardofIce on Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

I was shocked when I got the terrible news, yesterday, and I'm tainted with sadness.
But I'm deeply grateful for 44 long years. Leonard's songs, lyriks and his wisdom enriched my life.
Rest in peace, Leonard and may you be in a better world now.
The world here will miss you!
My sincerest condolences to Lorca, Adam and the whole family.
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

Attachments
Marianne gave me this photo in 1973 it goes perfectly with this Emmy Lou Harris rendition of "Together Again"
Marianne gave me this photo in 1973 it goes perfectly with this Emmy Lou Harris rendition of "Together Again"
Jazz
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

...all words are unnecessary. He left us all. But I know that left only the body, the heart and the words are with us and will be with us forever!

Leonard loss for me is comparable to the loss of a family member....terrible pain.

Condolences to Adam and Lorca and their families

SuzanneT
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Eighty-two years, all lived with such class.

Thanks for the words, thanks for tunes, they are forever.

Condolences to Leonard's family, and to all those who treasure his work and are grieving.

Curt and Joann
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
henrik1967

Post by henrik1967 »

I first saw the great Man at the Kelvin Hall Glasgow in 1972. With my girlfriend at the time who has now been my wife for 41 years. Thank you Catherine. He was and will remain an important part of our lives. Two great kids and four grandchildren later we still love his music. Converted many people over the years to his music.
Been with us in the moments of joy and sadness.
We were fortunate to see the Man in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, and Leeds over the last few years.
Rest in peace Old Friend.
We have watched some old DVD;S and raised a few glasses to you tonight.

Going home behind the curtain, going home without my burden, going home to where it's better than before.

Much love and happiness Mr C see you down the road in The Tower Of Song. Catherine and Neil xx
Last edited by henrik1967 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zoila

Post by zoila »

I have deeply appreciated Leonard's talent since I was a teenager 50 years ago.

I hope to offer some comfort...

As one who has worked professionally as a hospice counsellor, I believe that we stay close to those whom we love and who love us; it's just that for those of us left behind, our bodies and their senses fail to discern this...

Leonard has not left us. It is not just his body of work and the memories of the past that remain with us, but Leonard himself, in Spirit. I capitalized "spirit" because in many ways it is clear his was and is a Great Spirit, full of compassion, wry humour, humanity.

I also believe there are no accidents.

Perhaps we needed new attention to Leonard's gift for healing, for mourning, and this serves to bring him freshly both to his loyal fans, and to new admirers at a time when many are grieving. Who better to console, to teach how to grieve, but also how to live through the loss in order to love again, and deeper, and darker perhaps.

I had wanted to write him recently, to let him know that I was "kything" him. It is a Gaelic term that means "to come alongside in spirit and to provide comfort---as in com forte---which in Greek is to make strong for the task or the journey".

I believe Leonard is kything us, even as he goes about readying himself for his next assignment along life's journey.

Return to “News”