Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
denise knowles

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Postby denise knowles » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Thank You Mr Cohen for smudging the air with your songs and poetry.
My condolences to all your family and friends.
James T

Postby James T » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:06 pm

I am grateful I had the moment to take him by the hand and thank him for his work, and what a wonderful man he was for that minute we crossed paths.

I am deeply upset by this news, and I wish much strength to you all as well as, of course, his family and friends at this time.

I will never forget the great man, and I forever changed the moment he came into my life.
Habswin

Postby Habswin » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:06 pm

An hour ago, on behalf of the Leonard fan club and all the wonderful people from all over the world that I've met at events in both Dublin and Amsterdam, I placed a lit candle at the vigil being held in front of Leonard's home on Rue Vallieres in the Plateau Mont-Royal district of Montreal, a city that is in mourning on this Canadian Remembrance Day. Leonard lives across from a small park (Parc du Portugal) with a gazebo, which would make a fantastic memorial to this iconic Montrealer should we all get together to make it happen!
Lorne
Anna-Maria

Postby Anna-Maria » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Heart broken but full of love and grattitude. I wish you Leonard a good jourbey back home. <3
UrPal

Postby UrPal » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 pm

"And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity and beauty."

Bereft.....but accepting this inevitable defeat with dignity, compadre. Thanks for the beauty.

Love always

Paul x
Lizbuff

Postby Lizbuff » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 pm

I have no words, they're stuck inside me. All I can say is farewell to a constant companion and friend who has soothed me through all my adult life. Maestro the world will never see your like again. I say not in sorrow that you are gone but in joy that you were. Goodnight sweet friend xx
sandraa

Postby sandraa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:17 pm

Leonard has enriched all our lives and we can only thank God that we were blessed with his presence and his talent. How fitting is it that he's already so graciously and lovingly been buried by those who loved him the most.He spent his golden years entertaining us, who could forget the endless encores and the joy he seemed to receive in entertaining us.I was lucky enough to have thrown all financial concerns to the wind and got to see him on 8 occasions in recent years.It was a joy and I'm delighted to have taken my 14 year old to see him in Sligo, an experience which she'll always remember.
Padma

Postby Padma » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:21 pm

I am simply grateful that Leonard's music and poetry carried me through so many tumultuous and good times in my life. Grateful for the friends and people I met through his music. Grateful for the wonderful memory of sitting in Hydra Harbour in 2002 at the first meetup singing his songs until dawn broke when the guitars rested and we returned to our beds. I cherish some of those friendships even to this day.

My heart goes out to those that Leonard was close to and were close to him. Silent prayers are being said for you.
Padma
hs44

Postby hs44 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Feeling very sad but also grateful for Leonard's work & to have experienced 8 of his wonderful concerts.
Satu

Postby Satu » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Thank you so much, I miss you.
Oriel9

Postby Oriel9 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:59 pm

Very hard to come to terms with the sad news of Leonard's passing.His songs and music have been an inspiration and consolation to me for the last 50 years.I saw three of his concerts in Dublin and what an occasion each of them was.May God now show Leonard the place and may he rest in peace.My condolences to his family and friends and his legions of fans.
harald

Postby harald » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:00 pm

(I gave my farewell on page 18 of this thread)

There may be tristesse in many homes tonight.
That must not be so.
Leonard Cohen surely would not have wanted your tears.
A great life of an outstanding man came to a good end.
What privilege that we could be a small particle to it.
Let´s celibrate him with joy.
You might stay home tonight in serious thoughts, but please with a cheerful smile in your heart.
You could as well go out and dance to the persistance of love.
Leonard Cohen remains.
Be happy.
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:01 pm

So long, Leonard. Thanks for the music and words that have touched my life so deeply. Although I have nothing but tears today, hopefully soon, I and everyone else who loves you can laugh and cry, and cry and laugh about it all again. Farewell, dear friend -- you shall never be forgotten.
so_long_marianne

Postby so_long_marianne » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Though there were hints that this day was coming, I didn't want to imagine a world without Leonard Cohen. Reading all the wonderful tributes on here, I feel as though the sense that I have lost a true friend isn't a foolish one after all.

Since discovering Leonard at 15, I had never, and still haven't, found a musician whose words and music resonated with me so deeply. I'd normally listen to LC in a situation like this, but it's too hard to at the moment.

Through the tears, I keep trying to remind myself that we are incredibly blessed to have been alive at the same time as Mr Cohen and that the suffering he has endured more recently is finally over.

The world seems like a darker place now. Thank you, Leonard, for everything you have shared with us. May you rest in peace.
Manchester 2008
Dublin 2012
Manchester 2013
Dublin 2013
Stuart Marley

Postby Stuart Marley » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:10 pm

The day Leonard Cohen died
And the news came flooding through
My mind went back to younger days
When his words to me were new
I had an unrequited love