Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
st theresa1

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by st theresa1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Love and peace to Leonard's family and friends. Leonard has been a constant in my life for about 47 years and his comment in a recent interview that he was confined to barracks brought me home once again. My father confined us to barracks as kids. He was also a drunk in a midnight choir. Thankful to have had this beacon of light in my life for so long.
auds.starkey

Post by auds.starkey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:40 pm

I have spent today in a kind of stupor, devastated by the news of Leonard's passing. I want to share how he entered my life many decades ago. Every Sunday afternoon the late John Peel played a haunting song "Hey that's no way to say goodbye" but I always missed his naming the singer. Determined to buy the music I went to the local record shop and explained I wanted to buy some music, no idea of who the singer might be or even what the song was called. They were unable to help so I idly began looking through the rows of LPs. I eventually came to an album with a with a head and shoulders of a massively handsome man on the front and was so drawn to it that I decided to stop looking and play the album. The album was Songs From a Room and from that day to here it was all meant to be. He was always there with words and songs and I felt calmness and peace and when at long last I had the immense good fortune to watch him live in concert, I felt strangely honoured; he radiated humility and the evening will always remain a treasured memory. To his family,Long Life and,to all of you who loved and admired him, May the Almighty comfort you amongst the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem
dharma

Post by dharma » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 pm

'When people talk about Leonard, they fail to mention his melodies, which to me, along with his lyrics, are his greatest genius. Even the counterpoint lines - they give a celestial character and melodic lift to every one of his songs. As far as I know, no one else comes close to this in modern music.' ~ Bob Dylan

So long, Leonard...
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
shortestblondestgirl

Post by shortestblondestgirl » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:44 pm

So the 'lazy bastard living in a suit' has left us to go to 'where it's better than before'. He prepared us for this in his wonderfully eloquent and elegant farewell to Marianne, but he then did a mischievous recent interview where he declared he intended to live forever ... Oh if only.... I wasn't however prepared for the profound sense of loss I now feel. I'm also profoundly grateful for his beautiful music and poetry which has made my journey from early teens thus far so much more enriched. I'm so thankful I got to see him in these latter years and experience those few concerts that transcended any experience apart from the wonder of childbirth. They were magical, spiritual and fun.
His impact on my life has been immense & I'm grateful that we will have his songs for the rest of our lives
Thank you Leonard X. ... And thoughts and prayers are with his family and his friends at this very sad time. I hope it helps to know millions share in their grief at such a loss
Kush

Post by Kush » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Rest in Peace. To quote Joan Baez in song....You were so good with words, and at keeping things vague
goaskaliceok

Post by goaskaliceok » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Heartbroken…
I loved him so much.
Deepest condolences to Adam, Lorca, the grandchildren, and to all who loved him, as I did.
steffi lavender

Post by steffi lavender » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:04 pm

I have "known" Leonard for nearly 50 years and like us all I mourn his passing, The man brought so much to the world and it is a better place for him having been with us. I will miss him but will always remember him and I hope he finds peace with Marianne.

Hineni, Hineni I'm ready, my lord
Cate

Post by Cate » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:09 pm

My condolences to Leonard's children, family and friends. His words and way of being moved and gave great comfort to many, I am grateful for having been around at the same time as him.
Cindee

Post by Cindee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:15 pm

I used to go to the Blackening Pages which was started by Jarkko. So sad that Mr. Cohen is no longer with us in the flesh, but his music will carry on for years. Condolences to Adam and Lorca and friends. And thank you Jarkko for starting the Blackening Pages years ago. I feel like crying. I was just trying to find the note he sent to Marianne's funeral about how "our bodies are failing us. I won't be far behind you, reach out your hand and you will feel me joining you very soon." Not the exact quote, but I thought it was a gracious thing to do I had no idea he was ill. I remember he said in an interview on Canadian T.V. I don't fear death just the preliminaries. I hope he wasn't in pain. Regardless, thank you Leonard. We will be hearing very much about him although they just released the news last night the media is saying Montreal will have many ceremonies for him. He wasn't just loved in Montreal, he was loved around country and the world. They showed another quick quote from Leonard saying only in this country (Canada) would I win male vocalist of the year. So humble and beautiful. Thanks again and rest in the Tower of Song.
EllenErkens

Post by EllenErkens » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Thank you so much, Leonard Cohen. A deep bow to you. May your soul travel safely to wherever it may be travelling.
thoughtcat

Post by thoughtcat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:24 pm

I was in floods when I first heard the news this morning, and have been struggling to maintain my composure all day.

I really do feel a sense of grief like I haven't felt about anyone or anything in decades.

Leonard touched me deeper than any singer/songwriter ever.

Gonna miss you, man. Been a fan for 30 years this year. Thank you for EVERYTHING.

As a father myself separated from my children and their mother, special thanks to Adam for his words in the article posted here.

Love and condolences to his family.
Lumi2414

Post by Lumi2414 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Today I lost a very dear Friend. What more is there to say?
Herbsttag

Post by Herbsttag » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Farewell, friend. You will be missed..
Alexandra
Mary72

Post by Mary72 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:47 pm

The signs were sent.
Your letter for Marianne, your "I am ready my Lord", my dream of us, the Yiddish Hallelujah that I played over and over yesterday. Judy Collins post saying she would love you forever, me wearing my Dublin Leonard Cohen event 2014 t-shirt and your book, Death of a Lady's Man under my pillow. It is Shabbat, Leonard. This week's Torah Portion says " Go from your land, from your birthplace and from your father’s house, to the land which I will show you.” What shall I do now my beloved Poet? What shall I do now my Lover? You will say, "don't cry, darling". What can I possibly say? Thanks for the trouble you took from my eyes, Leonard. With all my Love, yours Maria

To all of you my friends in Cohen, ThankYou for your Love and Kindness along the road. I will honour his presence in my life until the day I die. Endless Blessings, Maria Viana
ellen

Post by ellen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:56 pm

The light has gone out of the sun for me today. Leonard Cohen, my beloved and constant companion in words and music for the last 46 years of the journey of my life. I will continue to hold you in my heart as you begin the next journey of yours. God Bless you X

Return to “News”