Leonard Cohen's health

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
HugoD

Re: Leonard Cohen's health

Post by HugoD »

Came across this tweet today and it made me smile

https://twitter.com/CanCGLA/status/786757973133627392

"I said I was ready to die and I think I was exaggerating. I intend to live forever." - Leonard Cohen, tonight
#YouWantItDarker
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Jeffs98119

Post by Jeffs98119 »

Jeffs98119 wrote:I don't know how to process my feelings about Leonard's health in light of the New Yorker article. He is clearly on a journey toward a destination that is drawing closer. I am not a friend or family member and have no right or expectation of being invited to take part in that journey. Leonard owes me nothing. That said, I don't want to wake up one morning and read the inevitable headline on the NY Times website without some form of preparation. As followers (a better description, in my mind, than fans), is there some way to communally get ready for what is to come? :(
I didn't intend, with my comment, to imply that I took his comment to mean that he is on death's door. The article as a whole just saddened me, as it made clear that he, like the rest of us, is on a one-way trip and that the end is getting closer every day. Seeing him twice on the last tour, with all the energy he showed every night, I was able push that reality to the side. What I was trying to describe was my feeling that I feel very close to Leonard, that he is an important part of my life, and I will feel a great sense of loss when he is gone. But I am not part of his life, and he has no reason to include me on his journey. That disparity means that I (and, I presume, most everyone in this community) will wake up one day and get some heartbreaking news through my chosen medium. How do I prepare for that? How will I respond to that? I'm not looking for answers here, just sharing feelings the New Yorker article raised within me.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Here's a cautionary tale for you all.

When Leonard started touring again in 2008, at the end of each concert, that year and the following years, I would wonder sadly if it was to be the last time I heard him live, if death would intervene between us.

I was right to fear that death would come between us, but quite wrong in its manner. For on 17 May 2012, without any warning, I was taken seriusly ill on Hydra and was evacuated immediately to Athens's Evangelismos Hospital. At triage it was made very clear to me that I should not expect to survive the night.

Fortunately the Greeks did everything right and saved my life. I was repatriated on my travel insurance (always take out travel insurance) and once back in my home city I had an operation in a top hospital that has given me many years of extra life.

It took about three months to recover fully, and, appropriately, the first independent trip I made without family support was to one of Leonard's concerts. There I reflected on my earlier fears, and noted wrily that at no time while worrying about death had I considered that it might be my death that parted us!

Leonard is very likely to outive quite a number of us.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Wow. I am sorry to read your tale, and you are right; we don't actually know who will drop first. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

MarieM wrote: Image
Tweeted by Dylan Sanford @blackdogdylan
"a night to remember in the presence of the legend #LeonardCohen, listening to #YouWantItDarker. wow, you guys. just, wow."
Leonard's leg looks very thin in this picture, which greatly concerns me. It reminds me of the last public pictures of David Bowie attending the Lazarus opening night just one month before he died:
2376010-david-bowie-et-sa-femme-iman-au-theatre-950x0-3.jpg
At the time all the media were banging on about Bowie looking great with his silver fox hair, but that leg was a warning something was amiss. I thought so at the time, although I never dreamed we'd be mourning his death just a month later. Always thin, Bowie looks skeletal here. You can find shots from the Lazarus video shot just weeks before that show how much weight Bowie lost in the interim.

So Leonard, even though I know you're "ready to die", if you really do want to live to 120, or forever, please force down a few more sandwiches and put on a bit of weight so that I for one don't worry about you quite so much.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

I'm so sorry to hear that he had been dealing with cancer for a while. It all makes sense now I guess.
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Is that confirmed? Where was it reported?
mvdh

Post by mvdh »

Hal E. Lujah wrote:Is that confirmed? Where was it reported?
http://www.southwesternontario.ca/whats ... by-cancer/
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

I just saw the terrible news in the NY Times. I am truly stunned. I had hoped the great man, Leonard Cohen, would have had a good year left in him. I am devastated. I received a horrifying diagnosis around this same time; if he died on Thursday, that would be my birthday, of all coincidences. My condolences to all of us who are so deeply wounded by this sad event.
-Hal
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

On Dutch television it was said by a woman ( Iris Hond) who claimed she knew Leonard well that he suffered from leukemia and was in a coma the last month after a fall.

Don't mean to speculate but wanted to share this
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

I just finished reading all the sad posts about the demise, partly to convince myself it was true. I am glad he got to finish his final album: well done. He showed us how to live and how to die. He will never be forgotten, when all the rest are in the ash heap. He will last longer and burn brighter. A true poet in an age that went vulgar. I will never forget those last performances, about which he said he would give his all. He did. A finer man I never met. He spoke for so many of us, what we could never have perceived. I hope one day to see the verses he threw out, which I am sure are better than I could have written at all. I pray that he is free now of this aching world, whose pain he did a great deal to mitigate for hundreds of thousands, even millions of his fellow humans. Bless you, Sir Leonard Cohen.

Hal E. Lujah
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

On Dutch television it was said by a woman ( Iris Hond) who claimed she knew Leonard well that he suffered from leukemia and was in a coma the last month after a fall.
He wasn't in a coma; I received my last email from him on Sunday night, and several during the last month.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Jarkko

Thank you for clarifying the rumours on Leonard having been in a coma...

Warm regards
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Maarten wrote:Jarkko

Thank you for clarifying the rumours on Leonard having been in a coma...

Warm regards
Maarten
Jarkko,

Indeed thanks for claryfying this!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thank you Jarkko.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"

Return to “News”