Sad news: Marianne Ihlen dies

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jongrep

Sad news: Marianne Ihlen dies

Post by jongrep »

It is with sadness that I read that Marianne Ihlen died yesterday.

"Marianne Ihlen, the woman immortalized in “So Long, Marianne” and the woman in Leonard Cohen’s life through the 1960s, died July 28, 2016 after being diagnosed with leukemia less than a week ago."

http://cohencentric.com/2016/07/29/mari ... anne-dies/

Jon Grepstad
Oslo
somewhat_nifty

Re: Sad news: Marianne Ihlen dies

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I was really sad to see this. So soon after diagnosis, my thoughts are with her family. I must confess, I actually had to have a little cry in the toilets at work - not claiming any sense of personal loss, but it's terribly sad that someone who inspired such beautiful songs is no longer with us. But thanks to her and Leonard, they exist and we can share them. And they will always exist.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Very sad and unexpected news. Rest in peace. So long.... Marianne....
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Greg Ross

Post by Greg Ross »

Farewell to the lady so many of us grew up singing about, perhaps even, as I, lusting gently over as a teenage boy, studying that famous Hydra photo of Marianne in the chair, while I listened intently to Leonard sing. Hopefully a silver lining around the cloud, of just one week between diagnosis and release.
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I am shocked and saddened by the news. I had the pleasure of meeting Marianne in Oslo. She was kindness itself, a beautiful lady in every sense of the word. She will be greatly missed.

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

This video is shared by many friends on facebook, so let me post it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12p-rCbr3o
The girl from the most beautiful and sincere love song I've ever heard, she will live forever.
RIP ...
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

I am so sorry to read this. May she rest in peace, thank you for the memories we will never forget you.
captrenault

Post by captrenault »

Alas. Safe journey, Marianne.
Toronto, June 17/93; Toronto, May 13/06; Toronto, June 1/07; Hamilton, June 3/08; Montreal June 23/08; Montreal June 24/08; Hamilton, May 19/09, London, Dec. 11/12, Hamilton, Apr. 9/13; Irving Layton's 85th birthday party.
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Sad news. My thoughts are with her family and friends.
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Philwilli

Post by Philwilli »

Very sad to hear about Marianne,many of us will be thinking about her today.
This video takes me down to Hydra and the good times she shared with Leonard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxyEN9ddQyw
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Photo from Jan Mollestad. taken just four weeks ago

Marianne slept slowly out of this life yesterday evening.
Totally at ease, surrounded by close friends who hummed Bird on a Wire, the LC song she loved most.
Marianne had planned to go to Hydra for finishing the biographical film on her life. Now her friends Sosan & Jan Christian Mollestad will do it.
Eija and I will cherish the memory of those few moments we spent with her in Barcelona and Oslo.
Rest in peace, Marianne.
Love
Eija & Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
holydove

Post by holydove »

This is really heartbreaking news. Leonard brought Marianne into our lives & hearts through his incredibly beautiful & moving song, & she will live there forever; but even though I never met Marianne, it feels like a part of my heart has been suddenly torn away by the loss, & I can't bear to think how this must feel for Leonard.

Deepest condolences to Leonard & all those who loved Marianne, & may she be filled with boundless peace & love wherever she is.

Thank you, Jarkko, for posting that beautiful photo & for letting us know that she was at ease & surrounded by loving friends in her passing - it certainly helps to know that.
drsing

Post by drsing »

So sad to read this,
So Long Marianne, Rest In Peace
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

I am so sorry to read this this sad news. May she rest in peace,
rike

Post by rike »

Rest in peace, Marianne. Sadness, but everlasting memories for so many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxyEN9ddQyw
Last edited by rike on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."

Return to “News”