Major LC Exhibition to debut in Montreal

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Major LC Exhibition to debut in Montreal

Postby jarkko » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:12 pm

http://canadianart.ca/news/leonard-cohen/
Major Leonard Cohen Exhibition To Debut in Montreal
March 24, 2016
BY Canadian Art

The Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal is organizing a major exhibition on the life, work and influence of Leonard Cohen.

The exhibition “Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything” is due to travel internationally following its premiere in Montreal in 2017.

“Leonard Cohen has filled our collective imagination with thoughts and songs on a number of topics that touch us all as human beings,” Musée director and chief curator John Zeppetelli said in a release. “One of the major themes of Cohen’s work, the imperfection of the human condition, is clearly evoked in the exhibition’s subtitle, A Crack in Everything.”

This multidisciplinary exhibition will include brand-new works commissioned from local and international artists who have been inspired by Cohen’s style and themes.

Film, performance, visual art, music and the written word are all genres to be included in the tribute.

The exhibition is presented as part of Montréal’s 375th anniversary celebrations, which will take place in fall 2017.

Leonard Cohen is said to be supportive of this project, which will allow the museum to delve deep into his career.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Major LC Exhibition to debut in Montreal

Postby jarkko » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:15 pm

http://www.macm.org/en/expositions/leonard-cohen/
Exhibition presented in collaboration with the Society for the Celebration of Montréal’s 375th Anniversary

The MAC is pleased to present Leonard Cohen: Une brèche en toute chose / A Crack in Everything, an exhibition of international scope presented as part of the festivities for Montréal’s 375th anniversary, which will take place in fall 2017.

Through his poems and his music and lyrics, Cohen touches a huge audience and influences countless artists across all disciplines and generations around the world. The exhibition is an homage to this global star and touchstone of Montréal culture.

Created exclusively for the MAC for the occasion, this multidisciplinary exhibition will allow the Musée to offer the public a collection of brand-new works commissioned from and created by local and international artists who were inspired by the great master’s style and recurring themes. These artists represent the visual arts, performance art, music, the written word and film, thus providing visitors with a dynamic, participative and immersive experience. Leonard Cohen will be part of the programming for the celebration of Montréal’s 375th anniversary.

The MAC is thrilled about Leonard Cohen’s support of this project, which will allow the Musée to delve deep into his career in order to present an innovative and original exhibition.

As MAC Director and Chief Curator John Zeppetelli explained, “Leonard Cohen has filled our collective imagination with thoughts and songs on a number of topics that touch us all as human beings. One of the major themes of Cohen’s work, the imperfection of the human condition, is clearly evoked in the exhibition’s subtitle, A Crack in Everything. This expression comes from Anthem, one of Cohen’s most famous songs. Immediately after those words, the artist suggests that there is always room for redemption and hope, because that very crack is what lets in the light that allows life to grow.”

There is a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.
(Anthem, Leonard Cohen, 1992)

About Montréal’s 375th

The Society for the Celebration of Montréal’s 375th Anniversary is a non-profit organization with a mission to plan festivities for 2017. With an accent on local Montréal expertise, it acts as a catalyst for unifying forces in achieving its mandate: to mobilize the community, implement a financing strategy, meticulously administer the funding collected, develop high-quality programming, and ensure the promotion of festivities. Driven by its desire to create bridges, it relies on the support of its board of directors, council of governors and many committees. The Society benefits from the support of the Ville de Montréal, the government of Québec and 10 Great Montrealers.

For more information, visit http://www.375mtl.com/en/programming
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:50 pm

She MADE MY DAY when I visited my former place of employment yesterday [looking through them for a higher paying job ;-) ] and one of my former co-workers there made me aware of this! She said, "It was on 'What's Trending" and when I saw it, I thought of you. Check it out!" So with computer access this morning, I did... and am sooooooo HAPPY to see the wisdom of Leonard's great city in their choice 8) . Wish I could attend. Perhaps... one never knows? Will have to make a lot more money between now and then, but it's a worthwhile goal :D ! YaY, Leonard! So much of note that he's getting to experience in his own lifetime, more and greater evidence of his legacy 8) . I am so happy :D .

Thanks for posting this, Jarkko :)

I love you, Leonard,
Lizzie xxx
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:21 pm

>. . . to offer the public a collection of brand-new works commissioned from and created by local and international artists who were inspired by the great master’s style and recurring themes . . . Driven by its desire to create bridges . . .
>
>For more information, visit http://www.375mtl.com/en/programming
---------------------------
well, as someone who has painted and sold more portraits of leonard than most people, even receiving his personal endorsement, i visited this website and on 28 march 2016 wrote to them, attaching several examples of my work. never received a reply, so i guess their "desire to create bridges" did not extend to me :-(
cohenadmirer

Postby cohenadmirer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Geoffrey wrote:>. . . to offer the public a collection of brand-new works commissioned from and created by local and international artists who were inspired by the great master’s style and recurring themes . . . Driven by its desire to create bridges . . .
>
>For more information, visit http://www.375mtl.com/en/programming
---------------------------
well, as someone who has painted and sold more portraits of leonard than most people, even receiving his personal endorsement, i visited this website and on 28 march 2016 wrote to them, attaching several examples of my work. never received a reply, so i guess their "desire to create bridges" did not extend to me :-(
Seems to me inconsistent that the organisers of an exhibition on the ever courteous Mr. Cohen should fail to have courtesy to acknowledge your offer
Here's hoping they eventualy respond and include some of your work . The exhibition is still 18 months away and presumably is still in the planning stage.
I hope, after montreal, it arrives at a venue near me , since montreal is a long way to go for a Cohen exhibition ,though i was happy to go for a couple of Cohen concerts back in 2012!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:07 pm

Geoffrey wrote:well, as someone who has painted and sold more portraits of leonard than most people, even receiving his personal endorsement, i visited this website and on 28 march 2016 wrote to them, attaching several examples of my work. never received a reply, so i guess their "desire to create bridges" did not extend to me :-(
That is unfortunate. I know how disappointing it can be to take the time and effort to write to someone, to share with them something important to you, into which you have so clearly poured your heart and soul, and then to be ignored, as if what you offered was of no interest or value to them whatsoever. I just don't know what is wrong with people. Do they not realise that there is a human being at the other end of the messages they receive, or do they just not care? Maybe all "men"/people are islands, after all, and nobody can be bothered to build bridges to connect them, regardless of what they may say.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 am

cohenadmirer wrote:Here's hoping they eventually respond . . .
LisaLCFan wrote:I just don't know what is wrong with people.
thank you so much, david and lisa, for your comments. i do not feel insecure, my ego remains intact, and the lack of response from those organisers does not make me feel inferior - and neither was that probably their intention. truth is, most of us have ignored somebody at some time, for whatever reason given the 'silent treatment'. it's a good way of inflicting pain without visible bruising. according to articles i have read, it seems the same area of the brain that registers physical pain (anterior cingulate cortex) is activated when a person is ignored. perhaps they assessed my work as being so bad that they deemed silence to be kinder than a letter of rejection. i prefer to conclude, however, that they are not serious people, and merely lack the courtesy of contacting me. as in 'occam's razor': the simplest answer is usually the right one.
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:53 pm

Geoffrey wrote: as in 'occam's razor': the simplest answer is usually the right one.
I am rather surprised that a man of your obvious intellectual stature, with your inquiring mind and your recognition of the vast complexity of life and the universe, would suggest that this old chestnut from William of Ockham, derived from his simplistic Medieval knowledge and understanding of the world, is "usually" correct. I will concede that Ockham's Razor is likely to be "sometimes" correct, simply because, sometimes, things are, indeed, simple. But, often things are not simple at all, and thus simple explanations would be quite insufficient, in which case Mr. Ockham's principle would fail miserably.

You do realise that if we continue to distance our discussion from the original purpose of this topic, our friendly Moderators will relocate us to the dungeon of "Writing, Music and Art by the Forum Members". ;-)
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:45 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:You do realise that if we continue to distance our discussion from the original purpose of this topic, our friendly Moderators will relocate us to the dungeon of "Writing, Music and Art by the Forum Members". ;-)
well, i was never under the impression that this discussion would remain permanently here. the moderators are just big frogs in a very small pond that is slowly drying up, and in time they will disappear - as will we all. can you name 10 people who lived 500 years ago? no, and in 500 years from now nobody will be able to name 10 people who are alive today. nothing matters. we are all unimportant organisms, inevitably doomed to go down a dead-end street into total annihilation. the earth, our sun, the milky way, the entire cosmos - will be gone in time. there is no reason to believe that anything is permanent, least of all this discussion ;-)
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:30 am

Geoffrey wrote: nothing matters. we are all unimportant organisms, inevitably doomed to go down a dead-end street into total annihilation. the earth, our sun, the milky way, the entire cosmos - will be gone in time.
Ah, Geoffrey, we can always count on you to provide a cheerful and uplifting sentiment! I did mention, recently, that you've missed your calling as a writer of greeting cards. As you undoubtedly know, Leonard's songs have been referred to as "music to slit your wrists by" -- perhaps your personal line of greeting cards could follow up on that theme?

And, that brings us right back to the original topic of this thread, the exhibition, which is described as follows: this multidisciplinary exhibition will allow the Musée to offer the public a collection of brand-new works commissioned from and created by local and international artists who were inspired by the great master’s style and recurring themes. What could be more inspired by Leonard's style and recurring themes than a collection of "artistic greeting cards to slit your wrists by"? It would be perfect, and they may respond to your email if you proposed that! I've seen the future, baby, it is murder! ;-)
James T

Postby James T » Sun May 08, 2016 3:20 am

I'll keep a keen eye out to see how this comes along. Do we know if there will be any launch event or such? Would be nice to see a Q&A with the great man himself. I would love to visit Montreal one day, and I will certainly look into flying over from the UK for this should it look to be an exciting enough event.

Return to “News”