New DVD: NFB Treasures: Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

New DVD: NFB Treasures: Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man

Post by jarkko »

NFB Treasures - Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man - From Montreal to the World
2 DVD Box, Released on April 5, 2015 (? Or should it be 2016??)
A rare collection of National Film Board of Canada movies focusing on poet, singer and songwriter Leonard Cohen, with on-screen comments from friends, family and collaborators. This eclectic set includes an informal documentary about the young Cohen in 1965, as we see him reading poems, chatting with friends – and even taking a bath! Cohen also appears in an offbeat feature film about Montreal in the 1960s, for which he wrote the score. Other unique finds include short animated films inspired by Cohen’s songs and poems, as well as a selection of cinematic works exploring themes that are near and dear to the artist, such as Canadian poets, St-Laurent Boulevard and Buddhism. It’s an enriching way to explore and experience the world of Leonard Cohen
(Amazon.ca link provided by Dominique Boiloe)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: New DVD: NFB Treasures: Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man

Post by jarkko »

Format: NTSC
Language: English
Number of DVDs: 2
Release Date: April 8 2016
ASIN: B01BD0MAUS
https://www.amazon.ca/NFB-Treasures-Leo ... B01BD0MAUS

We would need a complete list of the contents.
If you've got the DVDs, please share the info here!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

401307950831441788.jpg
ordered form Amazon.ca and sent to my friend's address.
I will get it, hopefully, 15 days later, if shipping from Toronto to Beijing goes OK. :lol:
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
Ria Bellen

Post by Ria Bellen »

Not for Europe ?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Dominique got his copy yesterday; I have asked him if it is region coded or not.
I'm going to post the list of contents very soon (now my time & energy is tied up in our house renovation).
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here we go (thanks to Dominique for the scans).
The DVDs are all-regions, DVD 1 in English and DVD 2 in French (Update: see below)

Mkevenson

Post by Mkevenson »

From ONE review on Amazon:

"1.0 out of 5 stars... it would contain lots of Leonard Cohen - just like the cover suggests
By Richard on April 28 2016
We bought this DVD set on the understanding that it would contain lots of Leonard Cohen - just like the cover suggests. But really read the information carefully before buying. There's not a whole lot of him anywhere! Mainly it's just dreadful and typically Canadian 1960s human angst acting in a couple of weak productions - without any sign of Leonard! I've watched almost all of it. I guess I wanted to see the oncoming train wreck happen. It did. In the one decent segment, the first video featuring Leonard in his early Montreal days, he scrawls "CAVEAT EMPTOR" on a wall. I really believe he was meaning it for that particular film. That was his astute and wry personality. In hind site he was so right! BUYER BEWARE."

Mark
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

They do seem to have included a fair bit of non-Cohen content on this release, but that is sort of the point. As the blurb in the first post (above) says, this DVD includes, in addition to the things directly about Leonard and/or using his songs, "a selection of cinematic works exploring themes that are near and dear to the artist, such as Canadian poets, St-Laurent Boulevard and Buddhism. It’s an enriching way to explore and experience the world of Leonard Cohen."

So, I would be wary of taking the advice of one negative anonymous amazon reviewer who clearly missed part of the memo...
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The DVD is not available from Amazon shops in Europe, except Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/Tresors-LOnf-Leon ... nard+cohen

According to Amazon,
Région : Région 1 (USA et Canada). Ce DVD ne pourra probablement pas être visualisé en Europe.
Google translation: Region: Region 1 (US and Canada). This DVD may not be viewable in Europe.

However, Dominique did not have any problems in viewing the video iwith his standard DVD player.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Perhaps it should be mentioned that, of the features on this DVD that are actually about Leonard and/or use his music, they have all previously been released on a DVD entitled "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen," by the National Film Board of Canada (NFB). This earlier DVD can likely be found new or used at all the usual online places, if you just want the Cohen content, but do check the price, as it may cost as much as this new release. Also, the older release that I mention may be more widely available (it is on the UK amazon site).

Return to “News”