Leonard Cohen art in Manchester Uk

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
cohenadmirer

Leonard Cohen art in Manchester Uk

Postby cohenadmirer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:29 pm

I came across a gallery in manchester which has prints of leonard's art for sale , much of it signed

http://www.richardgoodallgallery.com/co ... -c-10.html
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Geoffrey

Re: Leonard Cohen art in Manchester Uk

Postby Geoffrey » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:27 pm

cohenadmirer wrote:I came across a gallery in manchester which has prints of leonard's art for sale , much of it signed
very interesting, david. in my experience, when i read "contact us for price" it usually means they are quite expensive, and they do not wish to frighten away fishes that are swimming near the hook. for the sake of curiosity, do you have any information on this? i could write and ask them myself, but if i discover they are being greedy i will have to send a nasty reply, and i am trying to be good. does the shop manager decide the price, i wonder, or the artist?
Davido

Postby Davido » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Richard Goodall hosted the European premiere of Leonard Cohen's art in July 2007. I attended that premiere along with a number of other forum members. Leonard was there, as was Anjani.
Here are 2 interviews with Leonard at the gallery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMiJy7UZ-Gg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyrUyl-2KAw
If you search 'Richard Goodall' on the forum there are lots of posts, including mentions of prices.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8967&hilit=+goodall+art+gallery
-Dave
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:23 am

Davido - Thanks so much for posting the link! Although, as you probably remember, I was much involved in that day (and though I'm friends with Gina), I can't remember ever seeing the whole of the interview. I hope to see Julie Felix tomorrow, so I must give her the link.

It's interesting to know that Richard Goodall is still selling some of the prints. I believe these originally cost £1000, £2000, and £3000 according to size. I wouldn't be surprised if the prices have escalated somewhat since then. Totally out of my league, but I have a signed catalogue from the event.
cohenadmirer

Re: Leonard Cohen Art in Manchester UK

Postby cohenadmirer » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:51 pm

I love the last 3 minutes of the second video - especially given the subsequent course of events - now history.
Clearly the gallery was THE place to be on that night in 2007- missed it myself .
It is still well worth a visit if you happen to be in manchester or near.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Sqezekid

Postby Sqezekid » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:00 am

I live in Manchester and over the past few years have made several visits to the Richard Goodall Gallery. Richard is the official supplier of prints in the UK and it is fascinating to chat to him.
He had several meetings with Leonard before the gallery exhibition and decided jointly with Leonard which prints should go into the display.
He also designed the catalogue.
He is certainly not out to make an "over the top" profit and I believe his prices are the same as prints from other galleries around the world.
He also has a lovely way of framing the prints so that they are elevated from the background and really stand out, they appear to be "floating" - he is a pleasure to deal with.
When I was redecorating a couple of years ago, I asked him to frame a print that I had won in a charity auction on eBay so that it would fit in with 2 prints that I had previously bought from his gallery, and I asked his advice on which order to hang the prints - he came out personally to deliver the framed print and advised on the height and order of how to hang the prints.

Return to “News”