Marianne Ihlen 80 years (also video)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Marianne Ihlen 80 years (also video)

Post by jarkko »

Marianne celebrated her 80th birthday on May 18 on Hydra.

http://cohen.1g.fi/kuvat/Marianne+80+ye ... +years.mp4
Here is a birthday video made by Jan Christian Mollestad. Snapshots from the film Jan is making about her, Adam singing "So long, Marianne" in Oslo,
and finally Marianne and Judy Collins improvising "Famous Blue Raincoat" last year!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Re: Marianne Ihlen 80 years (also video)

Post by mutti »

Thank you Jarkko for posting this video. Marianne has such a beautiful laugh and smile.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This video overflows with charm and beauty. Two classy and lovely older women with their incredibly sweet voices singing the song lightly and in tune.
A beautiful tribute to our Marianne. She does not look or seem 80 and owns her age so naturally and beautifully from the inside out.

Thank you so much for this, Jarkko.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dar

Post by dar »

120 people viewed this so far and only you commented Lizzie. Breaks my heart.

Finally a video of two women aging beautifully who were integral to LC's life and work. I just get a sense of such beauty and mystery in thee two women; and power too. No disrespect to LC but these women "behind the man" seem to share an open heart that is filled with joy - something I think LC may have envied.
Poor guy; he may still be seeking that woman's education but he's still not a woman yet. Women...ya gotta love 'em!
dar

Post by dar »

Oops, sorry Mutti. Didn't see your comment. And spelled your name wrong Lizzy? Apologies. Two people commented. grrrrrr
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Good, I see you caught it. I was about to say that mutti commented, too.

Right ON, dar! :
I just get a sense of such beauty and mystery in thee two women; and power too. No disrespect to LC but these women "behind the man" seem to share an open heart that is filled with joy - something I think LC may have envied.
Beauty, mystery, power, and joy! All of that... and the substance of lives well lived 8) .

I don't understand the lack of comments, either... maybe those viewers are the newer ones here and don't feel the same bond we do? Or just aren't the commenting types... ?
~ Oscar Wilde
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

I have tried to view the video but can't so that might be the reason why there are so many "views" and not many comments.

I would love to see it.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you for the post, Jarkko - I just got around to watching this (twice) & what a delightful video!! These two women are still so very beautiful, energetic & lively - & it's so inspiring & uplifting to see them singing Leonard's song together!! I would love to know the secret to youthfulness that these women, as well as Leonard, have clearly discovered. I also love Adam's passionate singing of So Long Marianne. Thanks again for the smiles this brought my way today. And a belated happy birthday to Marianne!!
Last edited by holydove on Sat May 23, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Thank you, Jarkko, a truly special and delightful video. Such a privilege to see such a natural portrayal by these beautiful ladies.
jackiet

Post by jackiet »

Thank you for posting, what a wonderful video, two truly graceful, beautiful 'older' ladies, brought tears to my eyes!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, truly graceful, indeed. I totally agree.

And, I also had to finagle around with various clicks to get it to play. Don't give up. There's a big X on the upper left that if you click it, the video appears. Something like that. Like I said, I had to keep trying until I got it right. Once I got it, though, I forgot about having had trouble getting to it, so that explanation didn't occur to me. And it's true that this very thing may be a reason for views of Jarkko's post vs. comments on the video itself.
~ Oscar Wilde
anny

Post by anny »

Thank you Jarkko

Goosebumbs all over and a big smile on my face, soooo cute to see and hear those two elegant and beautiful ladies singing with such a steady voice !!!! I just love it !
Happy birthday Marianne and keep on singing Leonard's songs (it keeps you young) :)
Thank you for sharing
dar

Post by dar »

Notice there are only a few men (one as of now) commenting on aging..."These women are still sexy and seductive at 80", etc. ect. like women do about LC in his 80's.

I don't know what the lesson is here. Well, back to aching where I used to play. O, and although LC talks about the fact that he's aching he certainly keeps the company of much younger women. Never really hear of him "hooking up" with old ladies.
Last edited by dar on Sun May 24, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

What a joy ! Thanks for sharing .
Their voices are still great
dar

Post by dar »

Ah, ha. Dan commented so my above comment about no men isn't true now. I'm going to edit it to "few" men. hehe

Return to “News”