New book:Everybody Knows by Harvey Kubernik

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
LeonardCohenBook

New book:Everybody Knows by Harvey Kubernik

Post by LeonardCohenBook »

OMNIBUS PRESS & PALAZZO EDITIONS LTD LAUNCH NEW LEONARD COHEN BOOK MARKING HIS 80th BIRTHDAY

Omnibus Press and Palazzo Editions are pleased to announce the publication of Everybody Knows by Harvey Kubernik. This coffee table book is a special tribute to Leonard Cohen and will be published on 22nd September 2014 to coincide with Leonard Cohen’s eightieth birthday on 21st September.

A video preview of the book including images and quotes is available here

Starting with his life as a young poet and author in his home town of Montreal, and concluding with his acclaimed international tour of 2013, Everybody Knows honours Leonard Cohen’s legacy. The book traces his rise to stardom through 200 rare photographs and memorabilia, many previously unpublished, and includes thoughts and comments from those who have both worked with or have been inspired by him, along with poignant quotes from Cohen himself. Author Harvey Kubernik has interviewed Cohen on many occasions.

“I’m very pleased with this book. The combination of visual images, colour and black and white photographs, and archive items reproduced, coupled with prose and the employment of multi-voice oral history narrative serve the legacy of Leonard Cohen.” – Harvey Kubernik

"This book is a work of special passion for all of us at Palazzo. We wanted to produce a book that would truly celebrate the genius of Leonard Cohen - in many ways it is a birthday present for him and his fans, like ourselves, who have lived through his work as poet and troubadour of our times. The combination of first-hand memories, rare photographs and impeccable design and production is a package that is as cool as Leonard himself and we are hugely delighted that the UK edition is being published by our friends at Omnibus Press simultaneously with editions in the USA, Canada, French Canada, France, Germany, Spain and Russia." - Colin Webb, Publisher at Palazzo Editions Ltd
Attachments
cohen pic from book.jpg
jacket lifted from AI.jpg
Cheshire gal

Re: NEW LEONARD COHEN BOOK MARKING HIS 80th BIRTHDAY

Post by Cheshire gal »

I received my book today. I am looking forward to reading this. It has some great photos of Leonard. 8)
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: NEW LEONARD COHEN BOOK MARKING HIS 80th BIRTHDAY

Post by jarkko »

I was anyway to post info about the book nearer the official publishing date. Will also add to the Files.
I have got my copy of the book some time ago. In my opinion it's really stylish, coffee-table type of book, packed with a lot of useful information and a great selection of photos. Highly recommended. Many members of our community have also contributed with texts and other information, and Jim Devlin made the discography.

About our Forum policy: Commercial ads posted here will be removed, but with information about a Cohen-related item we usually made an exception.

Some more info below. More about the various editions at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/newbook2014.html (until its own page is available at The Files). All new books in 2014 are listed on that page; there will be 13-14 new titles this year. Some are already available, some still forthcoming.

Cover of the US and Spanish editions
(The first message in this thread shows the UK edition)

Editions: English, German, French, Canadian French, Spanish
Publishers:
Omnibus Press (UK)
Monti Publishing (Canada)
Hal Leonard (USA)
Knesebeck Verlag (Germany)
Blume (Spain)
Éditions Transcontinental (Canada/Quebec)
Éditions de la Martinière (France).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Goldin

Re: New book:Everybody Knows by Harvey Kubernik

Post by Goldin »

I feel no harm while reading such advertising (I'd say, informative) posts here. In my opinion, it's good that the Forum attracts publishers' attention. (Surely, I'll change my mind when the Sony-bot will appear among us, requiring to remove all YouTube links))

Anyway, it's a proper idea to have a look at the post before its submission - the link to a video preview of the book including images and quotes is missing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooNT0rWu_g8
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This thread has been edited. I moved a number of messages to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34877
It's the thread about all new 2014 books. Many of those messages discuss the avalanche of books around Leonard's birthday.

This way this thread concentrates on Kubernik's book!

Meanwhile I have made this new page: www.leonardcohenfiles.com/kubernik.html
You will find details of all editions there (except the Russian one - I don't have those yet)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This is the German edition:

dick

Post by dick »

Pleased that Amazon managed to have the book delivered to me today. Unusual to have Sunday deliveries.

At first glance, a remarkably attractive book. Am sure all fans are going to like it.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Still zero information on the Russian edition.

UPD: I've asked Ripol Classics (a local publisher, mentioned on Palazzo Editions website). Will report the answer.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Russian edition: not in the Spring schedule; maybe later.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Several pages from the Spanish edition: http://issuu.com/editorialblume/docs/issuu_cohen
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

For those in the UK who have not yet bought this book.

Bought a copy yesterday from my local The Works shop for £6.00.
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

The updated version of this Harvey Kubernik book was published in mid-June 2015; the discography has been expanded to include a few corrections and also details of the 'Popular Problems', 'Live in Dublin' and (Starbucks) 'Opus Collection' albums. But not the 'Can't Forget' album as it came out several weeks after my print-deadline.
Anyone wishing to have the full text of my additions (some of which were not incorporated into the final version) - please PM me. Thanks.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Amazing news from our friend from Volgograd!

The first LC biography published in Russia!
Kubernik Russian.jpg
Kubernik Russian.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
Title:
Леонард Коэн. Биография = Leonard Cohen. Biography

Russia 2015

Publisher: Ripol Classic

Translators:
Zaur Mamedyarov, Evgenia Fomenko
(Заур Мамедьяров, Евгения Фоменко)

Pages: 224

Hardcover

ISBN 978-5-386-08830-9
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Kubernik RU.jpg

2nd Russian edition (unillustrated):

Ripol Classic, 2019
270 pages
ISBN: 978-5-386-12545-5
Hardcover

New material: "Instead of afterword" by Boris Grebenshchikov.

Return to “News”