Did everybody know about this LC card?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:21 am

Cate

Re: Did everybody know about this LC card?

Post by Cate » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:11 am

Very cool!!!

Thank you Helen.
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:29 am

You made me curious as to how long ago it was that this was originally announced. I found Jarkko's announcement from December 14, 2003. The card is indeed beautiful and it is a wonderful idea, very appropriate during this holiday season.

jarkko wrote:This news story is taken from Marie's circular and was
first posted on Yahoo's site:

Poet and singer Leonard Cohen's artwork graces War Child Christmas card

Fri Dec 12, 4:56 PM ET

TORONTO (CP) - Poet and singer Leonard Cohen is displaying yet another artistic side this holiday season - his drawing of an angel watching over children is featured on War Child Canada's annual Christmas card.

Requests for cards are pouring in to the charity, which raises money for children in war zones around the world and works closely with the music industry to generate awareness, support and action for children's rights everywhere.

The artwork, Cohen's first-ever for a holiday card, is his second donation to War Child this year. Earlier, he contributed the song Anthem to the benefit album Peace Songs, which features more than 20 artists performing in support of the charity. So far, it has raised over $200,000.

"Only with donations and contributions of this kind have we been able to give everyone the ability and opportunity to support a good cause by buying holiday cards or CDs," says Samantha Nutt, executive director of War Child Canada.

"Leonard Cohen's generosity over the past year has been overwhelming and we really appreciate it."

Holiday cards can be ordered online at http://www.warchild.ca.
Direct link to thje card: http://www.warchild.ca/holidaycards.asp

Source:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ld_cohen_1
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1706

PS: Thanks, Helen, for bringing these back into the spotlight. I just order some and received a receipt in response, so they would appear to still be available.
Attachments
wch_cohen_greetingcard.jpg
wch_cohen_greetingcard.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
Marie
Speaking Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 am

Thanks for that, Marie. I kept thinking how I'd seen them before, but in what context.
Now, it's clear again.
Thanks for bringing it to us, Helen.
What's wonderful is that 10 years later, we can still order them 8) !
They're beautiful and a perfect card for Christmas.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:05 am

Thank you for posting this. It's a beautiful Christmas card and I have ordered some immediatly.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Already 10 years. Time flies.

I remember having had a cold feeling in the spine while looking at the black form on the background of the picture. At the time, thinking it was a weard Xmas Card, picturing what looks to me as the devil. Ey! The ram being the common earthy symbol for it, eh?

But this morning, still half asleep, my unconscious is working better : It is Leonard Cohen's art : this huge and glorious angel who is guarding the suffering characters from evil. As much as possible.

It is said in my religion that the devil (the evil, or whatever) is so poweful because people do not believe in it and or are not aware of it, or are not seing it. This is not the case of guardian angels, and this is not the case of Leonard Cohen.

He can look at it straight in the eyes any time. And laugh about it. Or cry. Whatever is necessary. And the evil is neutralized or powerless.

It feels like that for me, at least.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
anneporter

Post by anneporter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:18 am

[quote="Tchocolatl"]Already 10 years. Time flies.
It is Leonard Cohen's art : this huge and glorious angel who is guarding the suffering characters from evil.

I like Leonard's version of thus well-known image.
newfoundland--understand?
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:54 am

Ah thank you.

I thought it was inspired by this one :

"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
jeremek

Post by jeremek » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:35 am

Hi,
or necessarily need to register and log in?
I'm trying without it, but when you select "checkout" I have : "your basket is empty"
how to buy? :)
Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
holydove

Post by holydove » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:10 pm

jeremek wrote:Hi,
or necessarily need to register and log in?
I'm trying without it, but when you select "checkout" I have : "your basket is empty"
how to buy? :)
Beata
I vaguely remember having to register before buying, but it's very easy; just type in your email address & a password - only takes a minute.

And the cards were shipped pretty quickly; I already received them & they are beautiful. Thanks to Helen & Marie for alerting us to this.
jeremek

Post by jeremek » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Holydove! I thank you for the important news. This means that the shop works properly :D

...I checked, but nothing could login. There are no more cards made ​​by LC...I`m very sad
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always

Return to “News”