What Do Artists Do All Day?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
ScottM

What Do Artists Do All Day?

Post by ScottM »

As part of the BBC 4 Documentary Series "What Do Artists Do All Day?", the popular self-taught Scottish painter Jack Vettriano was featured, mainly in his studio discussing his techniques, his critics, the resentment of the art establishment about his success, and his own misgivings about his work.
A number of members of the forum may already be aware that Mr Vettriano is a huge admirer of Leonard Cohen. Indeed, he has titled some of his portraits after Leonard's works. These include; "Dance Me To The End Of Love", "Bird On The Wire" and "Beautiful Losers".
Throughout the 30 minute programme, as well as showing his paintings, a soundtrack featuring a number of Jack's favourite musicians was played. These included Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan and Patsy Cline among others. The Madeleine Peyroux version of "Dance Me To The End Of Love" featured a couple of times. Also, during a break from the easel, Jack chose a CD to play and we were treated to Leonard's "Tower Of Song".
When addressing a misconception about his own personality, Mr Vetrianno tells us:
"To quote the Bard, Leonard Cohen. He says that people think I'm miserable, that I'm suicidal, but I'm not... Its just that this is my mode, this is my personality....I like to examine religion, I like to examine love..."
Whatever you think of Jack Vettriano's work this programme provided a very interesting insight into the artist,the man, his methods and his personality. In my opinion, well worth a viewing.

If you want to see it the programme is on the BBC website for another 5 days. Hopefully the link below will take you there:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Vettriano/
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
B4real

Re: What Do Artists Do All Day?

Post by B4real »

Thanks Scott, for this info.
And yes, I am very familiar with Jack Vettriano - his artwork and his admiration for Leonard. Over the many years of my professional involvement in the art industry I have bought and sold hundreds of his prints. I have to say that in reference to Leonard, "Dance Me To The End Of Love" was probably the most popular print. Another generally favoured one was "The Singing Butler".

.... and being an artist myself, I can tell you what we do all day ...... if not actually painting a picture, mostly planning the next painting :)
But since I've been studying the violin, I've been sharing my passions, with a leaning during the last year towards the latter!

I will watch the programme soon.
EDIT: I've just tried to watch the programme and got this message: "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only".
What a shame :( I really would have liked to have seen it!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Bev

I have heard that you can get round the BBC territorial restrictions - though as I am in the UK I have never tried them out and don't know how to do it.

May be worth Googling something like "Watching BBC iplayer from outside UK".

Wendy
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

You can pay for a proxy server.
I use Overplay VPN, about $6 a month then you use a UK based server and you can access UK tv.
BBC has a good range of films & music progs, as well as the factual, documentaries, kids TV.
Misunderstood
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thank you Wendy and Rodin for both your suggestions,

but I didn't want to change my proxy server etc just for this one time.
I found episode 1 on you tube but it was blocked and episode 2 though viewable, was not to my liking.
Maybe episode 3 (Vettriano) will appear there later on.

I did find this, but it keeps saying an error has occured, again it may just not be available in Australia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3V2v5-Wsgc
Jack Vettriano - Talking Pictures episode 13

EDIT: I was able to watch the above Talking Pictures today - at least that's some compensation.
Last edited by B4real on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

This was repeated again last night/this morning (at 1.40 a.m GMT*). These BBC4 programmes are often shown several times so if you keep an eye on the listings, you may find it is on again in the next couple of days or even weeks.

Helen

*Sorry I think that should be British Summer time (GMT+1) as we put the clocks forward recently.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Did not know about this. Thank you for the info.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

He's an awful artist.
I prefer to have classy pics on the wall like my poster of the tennis player scratching her bottom.
Misunderstood
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Oh that's so last week..........
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
B4real

Post by B4real »

B4real wrote:Maybe episode 3 (Vettriano) will appear there later on.
Found the links for this on YouTube for myself or anyone who also can't get access to BBC iplayer either, as well as those interested:

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=902K9eWfNX0

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSkXjwFC22U
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

"Re: What Do Artists Do All Day?

"I prefer to have classy pics on the wall like my poster of the tennis player scratching her bottom."
15-love to Vettriano
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"

Return to “News”