Leonard Cohen Day officially declared

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

Leonard Cohen Day officially declared

Post by B4real » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:42 am

http://blogs.forward.com/the-arty-semit ... milwaukee/

Leonard Cohen Day Proclaimed in Milwaukee
By Renee Ghert-Zand

We’re not sure if he’s going to be presented with the keys to the city, but we do know that March 15 has been officially declared Leonard Cohen Day in Milwaukee by Mayor Tom Barrett.

It’s not every day…or every year…or every decade that the legendary singer-songwriter plays Wisconsin’s largest city. So, his first performance there in 38 years is indeed a reason to celebrate.

Friday’s show at the Milwaukee Theatre is part of his “Old Ideas” 2012-2013 tour. Cohen, 78, is doing gigs in 12 cities in March alone, with the Milwaukee stop squeezed in between Chicago and Tampa.

Fans may refer to Cohen by one of his 156 (and counting) nicknames, like Lord Byron of Rock ‘n Roll, Poet of Holy Sinners, Troubadour of Travail and Maestro of Melancholy, but we can tell the people running Milwaukee know who he really is. He’s the guy who was “born to Nathan Cohen and Marsha Klonitsky” of Montreal, according to the second paragraph of the official Leonard Cohen proclamation:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Re: Leonard Cohen Day officially declared

Post by holydove » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks for the post, Bev! I salute the mayor of Milwaukee for this fabulous & well-deserved proclamation.

Excuse my compulsiveness, but, since this is an official proclamation, I think they need to make a correction: Leonard's mother's name was Masha, not Marsha.
B4real

Post by B4real » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 am

Hi Rachel,

I didn't notice that! I've just looked up wikipedia and both names are given. I suspect Masha is the Lithuanian way of spelling it.
His mother, Marsha (Masha) Klonitsky, was the daughter of a Talmudic writer, Rabbi Solomon Klonitsky-Kline of Lithuanian Jewish ancestry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Cohen
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Someone can cash in by making cards now...things like "What made Milwaukee famous made a beautiful loser out of me"!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 pm

B4real wrote: I've just looked up wikipedia and both names are given. I suspect Masha is the Lithuanian way of spelling it.
Or maybe simply a short form name (as in Dick for Richard or Peggy for Margaret) or an affectionate family name.

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masha
Masha = Maria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha
Marsha = Marcia

Marsha doesn't sound Eastern European enough for me, rather like a 'more American', emigrant version of the name.
An Ukrainian Canadian children's writer Marsha Skrypuch:
My paternal grandfather came to Canada in 1912 and was interned as an 'enemy alien.' My dad's siblings were all renamed with English names by the school system. My dad's name is Myroslaw, and he's Marshall. A sister Alice is supposed to be Olga. Feschuk became Forchuk. They weren't allowed to speak Ukrainian at all.
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
holydove

Post by holydove » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Goldin wrote:

Marsha doesn't sound Eastern European enough for me, rather like a 'more American', emigrant version of the name.
I had the same thought, Goldin. I'm sure her name was, at least originally, Masha - that's the name given in every biography I've read, & I know that Masha is a pretty common Eastern European name. Perhaps it's been re-interpreted as Marsha by some westerners, but I doubt that this revision has any real connection to her actual name (except for having 4 of the same letters. . .). It's a different name from a different culture.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:22 am

I lift my glass (of beer) to this decent city.

Masha, Marsha, Warsha... wilmaukee iz all mixxxek... cheers! I drink to that! Any Leonard Cohen Day is a good day.

As Mirkipedia is not a reliable source of information, I would rely on this :

http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/06/08/masha ... d-cohen-3/
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Kiddy1Dingo2

Post by Kiddy1Dingo2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 pm

I am on a cloud, knowing I will be in LCohen's presence this evening. 38 years' wait is so, so long. I do hope he is/was able to visit the Joan of Arc Chapel on Marquette University's campus in downtown Milwaukee, just 1/2 mile from tonight's venue.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:36 pm

How lucky you are. How interesting : http://www.marquette.edu/chapel/index.shtml

But I would guess that it will be Joan of Arc who will go to see and hear Leonard Cohen! 8)
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 am

Masha, Marsha, Warsha... wilmaukee iz all mixxxek... cheers! I drink to that! Any Leonard Cohen Day is a good day.

As Mirkipedia is not a reliable source of information, I would rely on this . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Ides of March and the day my divorce became final. Another reason now to remember March 15!
Well done, Mayor!!!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”