CBC documentary examines Leonard´s poetry

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

CBC documentary examines Leonard´s poetry

Post by jarkko »

from Zbig P:
I just finished to listen to an hour-long part 1 of the CBC two-part
documentary examining LC poetry: "Various positions, part 1, Magic is
Alive" - Very informative...

It is available to listening on-line at...
http://music.cbc.ca/modularpages/dynami ... n-part-one

... so our friends around the world can enjoy it too.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Cate

Re: CBC documentary examines Leonard´s poetry

Post by Cate »

Thank you Zbig and Jarkko for the link, I've just listened to the first couple of minutes of part one and am looking forward to listening to the rest later this evening.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
This 2 part documentary was already discussed earlier here on the forum. If anyone wants, I can upload my MP3 files of both parts for you to download. Just drop me a line. See details in the older thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31335

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

tried the link not alloud in Ireland too bad
Canadians only
However, the vast majority of our content remains open to all.

Take a moment to browse one of the sections below.

Artists
Concerts on Demand
Podcasts & Programs

Are you in Canada? Please see our FAQ.

Gregor
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Maarten wrote:Hi,
This 2 part documentary was already discussed earlier here on the forum. If anyone wants, I can upload my MP3 files of both parts for you to download. Just drop me a line. See details in the older thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31335

Maarten
Hi Maarten

I seemed to miss this the first time round (or I've simply lost the files!) so it would be great if you could upload it again!

Thanks

Wendy
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

maarten should I PM you

G
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

I'll upload the files tomorrow or within the next few days and post the link here.

M

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
I couldn't sleep, so you got lucky!

http://we.tl/4iuvY6G30v
contains 2 files:
2012-01-30 CBC Radio 2, Inside The Music – Various Positions - Magic is Alive (part 1) - by Philip Coulter
2012-02-06 CBC Radio 2, Inside The Music – Various Positions - Waiting For The Miracle (part 2) - by Philip Coulter

Total of 148MB
Available until Jan 22 2013

Enjoy!
M

Caetlin

Post by Caetlin »

Thank you :)
I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Thanks to all concerned for making it possible to hear this. I've just listened to pt.1, and thought it was excellent. There was a substantial amount that I can't remember hearing before, with some fine contributions from Leonard. I particularly liked the answer he gave when he was asked whether he would prefer to be described as a poet, novelist or songwriter, and said he would prefer to be described as a vegetarian! I wish I had had that answer to hand when Sylvie Simmons asked me if I would prefer to be described as an astrologer, writer or Cohenologist. I chose writer because it seemed the least pretentious, but later I wondered if the opposite might be true.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Thanks for the links .
This was an excellent listen :D
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I've just listened to pt. 2, and indeed it is equally excellent. This is exactly the spirit in which it should be done (no references to Laughing Len and razor blades, here!). Excellent choice of songs too, to represent the different albums. Although it is suggested that Leonard's career has three phases (the poetry, the music 67-85, and the music 88 to now), I tend to see the music in three phases (67-77, 79-85, and 88 to now). In many respects the middle period that includes "Recent Songs" and "Various Positions" is the most important of all, albeit the most overlooked. This may be the second best radio audio programme about Leonard that I've heard (the other was "How the Heart Approaches What It Yearns", which I believe was from the early Nineties, and where Leonard was interviewed by an Irish priest).
holydove

Post by holydove »

Maarten, thank you so much for the download. I listened to Part 1 last night & I loved it!

Looking forward to Part 2 asap!
dperrings

Post by dperrings »

Has part 2 come out yet ?

David Perrings
There is a crack in everything that's how the light gets in. lc
holydove

Post by holydove »

dperrings wrote:Has part 2 come out yet ?

David Perrings
The link provided by Maarten contains part 1 & part 2. Like John said, both parts are equally fantastic! There are a couple of segments from interviews, which I'd never heard before, & the whole thing provides a wonderful level of insight into Leonard's perspective on his own work through the years. I listened to part 1 again yesterday, & will listen again to part 2 also; it is really an excellent program, & I enjoyed it immensely, so thank you again for the link, Maarten!

Return to “News”