Leonard Cohen A Life In Art: Austin - Oct 30, 2012

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

KUT’s Views & Brews presents Leonard Cohen a Life in Art

When: October 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm
Where: Cactus Cafe, Austin Texas

Sylvie Simmons, Roscoe Beck, & other band members will participate in a discussion of “Leonard Cohen A Life In Art” on the eve of the first concert of the North American Tour

Leonard Cohen just celebrated his 78th birthday while on a world tour with his new album “Old Ideas.” On Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, 2012, he and his band will kick off the US portion of this tour right here in Austin, TX.

Join Roscoe Beck, Cohen’s collaborator, producer, bassist and local Austinite, along with Sylvie Simmons author of I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen, along with Cohen’s band members to explore the life and art of living legend Leonard Cohen. What does it mean to live your art? How and why does his work continue to impact generations of artists, thinkers, and seekers?

The event is being organized by Austin Radio station KUT and will be held in the Cactus Cafe. Views and Brews events are free, but we will be asking for a suggested donation of $10 at the door. Seats are pretty limited so early arrival is suggested.
Last edited by DrHGuy on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rike

Re: Leonard Cohen A Life In Art: Austin - Oct 30, 2012

Post by rike »

It sounds wonderful. Wish I were closer to Austin. Then again, I can hardly believe that the Los Angeles concert is practically around the corner. It's so good to have something to look forward to.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Wish that we weren't going to be getting into Austin so LATE [about 9 PM]. Looks like we'll be missing this wonderful event, which I would LOVE to see!!!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
DrHGuy

Leonard Cohen A Life In Art to be live streamed

Post by DrHGuy »

I heard from Rebecca McInroy, the producer at KUT Radio in Austin, who provided two additional pieces of information:

1. The event will be broadcast on the net via live streaming. The link will be posted on Heck Of A Guy Monday Oct 29, 2012.

2. Rebecca writes that "Roscoe has confirmed Sharon Robinson and 90% on the Webb Sisters, also Mitch and Neil."

More information at http://1heckofaguy.com/2012/10/26/leona ... om-austin/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

DAAAANG!!! This is going to be excellent! And happy to know that we won't be missing it entirely!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
holydove

Post by holydove »

I searched the heckofaguy site for the link to the live stream, but couldn't find it. Does anyone have it?

Also, does anyone know if this will be video, or just audio?
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Rachel....I think this might be the link. http://kut.org/category/storyboardausti ... rews/feed/

It should start at 830pm EDT.....730pm CDT. About another 20 minutes. Hopefully this works.

Diana
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

regensburg

Post by regensburg »

I seen it, it was very lovely.
B4real

Post by B4real »

I just watched this but I missed the first 20 minutes, so if anyone can tell me what happened that would be great!

It would have been excellent to have been there!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
I stayed up to watch the live stream and I don't regret it at all! Loved to have been there too... It's 3:30am here in Belgium, so I'm going to bed now.

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

It was wonderful - delightful!!
Worth burning the midnight oil - eh Maarten?

I hope KUT makes it available as a video!
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

sturgess66 wrote:I hope KUT makes it available as a video!
Relax and stay tuned... :-)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
DeborahMajicAfoot

Post by DeborahMajicAfoot »

I'm "relaxing and staying tuned" - missed most of first part - tuned in with Alexandra Leaving. Oh my - what a treat for that audience. Felt odd to be on this side of the globe for a US event and having to set my alarm for 4:30am! Really hope a video is forthcoming or at least an audio. I think she told the audience if they signed up for the email list they would have access to an audio of the event.
Portland 2010
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Just back in our hotel after a wonderful evening. Started with Sylvie's reading and performance at Waterloo records. She was eloquent and moving in both her selections from "I'm Your Man" as well as her commentary about the passages that she read. This was followed by a great performance of "Sisters of Mercy" where Sylvie was accompanied by a great guitar and probably the first ever performance of a Leonard song with a Theramin (sp?) and Sylvie's uke. They also performed "Famous Blue Raincoat."

The event at Cactus Cafe was a full house plus-I'm not sure how many in line were turned away, but it seemed like a lot. We were surprised to learn that some of the band were performing. First Sylvie answered questions posed by our host from KUT and spoke eloquently about aspects of Leonard's life. Then Roscoe introduced Mitch, Alex and Javier and they did a spectacular instrumental version of "It Seems So Long Ago." The crowd was in awe. He then introduced Hattie and Charlie who performed "Show Me the Place." The intimacy of the venue, the rapt attention of the crowd along with their emotionally charged performance brought tears to my eyes-I don't think I was alone. Then Roscoe introduced Sharon who performed "Alexandra Leaving." I have intentionally not watched any YouTube recordings so that I could savor the live performance of this stunning song. I'm not sorry I waited. It will always be a highlight of my concert viewing life.

Sylvie and the band then took some audience questions which they handled thoughtfully with much eloquence and wit. They were each asked about the first time they met Leonard and it was refreshing to see how they each relished the unique story that brought them to this day and how much it meant to them.

Charlie and Hattie closed the event with "Coming Back To You." Words can't do it justice. I know I'm missing details, but it is late and it is a big day tomorrow. More later.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."

Return to “News”