Community Homage to LC in Ottawa December 8th 2012

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Sochijava

Community Homage to LC in Ottawa December 8th 2012

Postby Sochijava » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi there,

I'd like to both call attention to, and get advice from, those who live in Ottawa or will be in the city for the December 7th concert please.

My neighbourhood (New Edinburgh in downtown Ottawa) is the original home to the National Film Board of Canada (NFB). From time to time we have community NFB film nights. I'm organizing an NFB homage to LC on Saturday December 8th, the night after the concert. We will show Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen of course, plus a couple of other shorts.

In addition to being the original home of the NFB and home to many Leonard Cohen fans, New Edinburgh is an historic neighbourhood at the confluence of the Rideau and Ottawa rivers, home to Canada's Governor General, several embassies, many wonderful riverside parks and near Canada's beautiful national cemetery, Beechwood Cemetery.

In late November New Edinburgh will become home to two large plaques along Ottawa's Poets Pathway, with poems by Confederation Poets Archibald Lampton (To the Ottawa) and Alfred Garneau (La riviere). These poems will be found on large boulders along the bike/hiking path along the Rideau River, near where the Rideau River empties into the Ottawa river at Rideau Falls. These plaques and the Poets' Pathway in general commemorate Canada's Confederation Poets, many of whom are buried in nearby Beechwood Cemetery. I've pasted some information about the Confederation Poets and the Poets' Pathway below.

Anyway, I thought it would be fitting on our LC night to also have a short reading of the two poems that will have just been erected in our community. Plus probably a reading of a couple of LC poems too.

We will also have wine and cheese and lots of time for mingling and discussing the previous nights' concert. I'm open to other suggestions for the evening as well - any ideas?

This is a humble community event, but I thought it might of interest to those in and around Ottawa for the concert. It might be a nice get together.

I need an emcee for the evening too - I'm too reserved to do it I'm afraid. Ideally the emcee will be a lover of LC first, plus a lover of film and poetry too. If any of our local Ottawa area LC fans have ideas/suggestions please let me know.

I hope a few of you can come and join our community homage to LC, it should be fun. I will post a poster advertising the event in another month or so.

All the best,
Paula in Ottawa

http://www.poetspath.ca/pathway.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Poets
http://www.newedinburgh.ca/
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
Sochijava

Re: Community Homage to LC in Ottawa December 8th 2012

Postby Sochijava » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:52 am

Just a reminder for those in Ottawa this weekend for the concert.

Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
DeborahMajicAfoot

Postby DeborahMajicAfoot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:22 am

Oh to be in Ottawa for that evening. Only in spirit for me though! The poster is beautiful. Paula, it sounds like you are the perfect MC - remember LC reports a great deal of fear of "performing" and look at him now.....:-) Looking forward to reports of this glorious evening.
Portland 2010
Sochijava

Postby Sochijava » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:31 pm

Deborah - thanks for the good wishes, we wish you were here too. I should be a fun night. We have a very talented local poet, Blaine Marchand, who has agreed to emcee the event tonight, so I'm off the hook. I'm still energised from the great concert we had here last night, so I can't wait for tonight.

Best,
Paula

Return to “News”