New Leonard Cohen biography by Sylvie Simmons

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
AlanM

Re: New Leonard Cohen biography by Sylvie Simmons (Fall 2012

Post by AlanM »

My copy has just arrived from Amazon US.
I know what my reading will be in the immediate future.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
regensburg

New Leonard Cohen biography by Sylvie Simmons (Fall 2012)

Post by regensburg »

I thought the US ones come out in Nov. Maybe I will get mine soon.
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

comehealing wrote:Here are the publication dates:

http://1heckofaguy.com/2012/08/22/sylvi ... -premiere/
Updated info from LC Files:
Harper Collins, USA (September 18)
McClelland & Stewart, Canada (October 23)
Jonathan Cape/Random House, UK (November 1)

Germany: btb Verlag (October 1, 2012)
The Netherlands: Nijgh & Van Ditmar (October, 2012)
Spain: Editorial Lumen (October 4, 2012)
dick

Post by dick »

Good work Di!

Had similar urge, but didn't act on it in one of my local Barnes and Nobel stores. I even needed help to find it -- there were 5 copies available -- but on the bottom shelf in Music between something on the Kinks, and another book on Dylan. No Author, subject, or title scheme to the placement.

Here is another good review -- from the Boston Globe:
It includes this nice sentence:
"Simmons, throughout, is not just a skillful reporter but a blisteringly good writer."

The Boston Globe -- September 19, 2012

For more than half a century — in prose, poetry, and song — Leonard Cohen has shared his often spellbinding notions of passion, spirituality, and despair. Such songs as “Suzanne,” “Bird on the Wire,” and “Hallelujah,” both in his versions and as covered by others, have given a wide and dedicated audience a chance to take his measure. The challenge for Sylvie Simmons, who has written books about Serge Gainsbourg and Neil Young, is one faced by all biographers of writers: how to write something new about a subject who has already written so much and so well about himself.

That Simmons succeeds so thoroughly, creating an illuminating and authoritative portrait, is partly because Cohen is an ideal interview subject — patient, witty, and introspective — the rare person who can, in a way that seems offhand, say something as intricate as “I think everyone lives their life as an emergency.” Wisely, Simmons lets Cohen speak for himself, and the book is imbued with his charisma.

She begins with Cohen’s childhood in Montreal in the 1930s and 40s and follows a carefully drawn linear narrative, covering his years as Canada’s most famous young poet, his decades, beginning in the ’60s, as an enigmatic and often reluctant singer-songwriter, and a more recent episode, in which Cohen reemerged on the music scene after years of absence, following a dispute with his business manager that left him broke and needing to sing for his bread.

Simmons, throughout, is not just a skillful reporter but a blisteringly good writer. She deftly captures the sound and atmosphere of the two distinct periods of Cohen’s music: the stark and haunting resonance of his early recordings, and the later songs, in which he sings with a much deeper voice, at once sinister and playful, over sounds of synthesizers and female backup vocalists, sounding, in an ineffably good way, “ . . . like an old French chansonnier who had mistakenly stumbled into a disco.” Like all good music writing, this makes you eager to listen to the songs with your newly attuned ear. And she creates what ought to become the enduring snapshot of Cohen in the present tense, a man well into his 70s enjoying a rather miraculous late-stage career.

Cohen’s arrival at this semi-resting place, as an elegant elder statesman of pop, is somewhat unlikely, given that his life has been marked, perhaps above all else, by its aloofness and uprootedness.

Simmons presents Cohen as a man called on quests, some physical, some chemical, and others spiritual. As a teenager, he began walking the streets of Montreal at night, passing among off-duty sailors and other witching-hour revelers. Later, his urge to explore would lead him to travel the world (one memorable trip found him stuck in Cuba during the Bay of Pigs invasion). He has rarely stayed in one place for long and has seemed allergic to stasis or domesticity. This, combined with years suffering from depression, has made him an unreliable romantic partner; yet the women who passed in and out of his life — lovers who included Joni Mitchell and the actress Rebecca De Mornay — seem most often to remember him fondly.

Cohen’s most adventurous explorations, in the end, have been spiritual ones, culminating in a fascinating period in the mid-’90s when he removed himself from public view, choosing to live for some years in an unadorned hut atop a mountain under the rigorous instruction of a Zen monk. “You just think about your sleep, your work, the next meal, and that whole component of improvisation that tyrannizes much of our lives begins to dissolve,” he explains. Before he came down the mountain, back to the music that has perfectly combined, as Simmons writes, “the erotic and the spiritual,” Cohen had been ordained as a monk himself, and perhaps had found, through a rigorous life of ritual, an alternative to wandering.

Ian Crouch writes about culture and sports for newyorker.com. He can be reached at iancrouch@gmail.com.
dick

Post by dick »

Columbus Dispatch -- SF Chronicle

Book Review | I'm Your Man: Biography captures soul of musical poet
By Tom Nolan

SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE Wednesday September 26, 2012 7:20 AM

Leonard Cohen, the Canadian poet and novelist who decided in the mid-1960s to move to New York and become a singer-songwriter at the height of the pop-rock era, seemed as unlikely a candidate for stardom as Tiny Tim.

He spoke-sang his downbeat ballads of erotic and spiritual angst in a low and somber voice, to the accompaniment of a Spanish-tuned acoustic guitar, and was so shy that he trembled at the prospect of performing in public.

When a renowned producer and talent scout, John Hammond, told colleagues at the Columbia label he intended to sign Cohen, one of them exclaimed: “A 32-year-old poet? Are you crazy?”

Cohen was perceived in America as moody, self-absorbed, “serious” — a downer.

Europe, though, loved his work from the first “for the very things,” Sylvie Simmons writes in the pleasurable biography I’m Your Man, “that had turned the North American music industry off: his dark humor, old-world romance, existential gloom and poetry.”

And, through decades of persistent excellence and through many twists of fate, Cohen (and, for that matter, Hammond) earned vindication: The reluctant performer evolved into a polished stage presence, Simmons writes, “in his sharp suit, fedora and shiny shoes, looking like a Rat Pack rabbi.”

Cohen has had hits in the United States as well as Europe, and those hits became anthems: Dance Me to the End of Love, inspired by an account of the orchestra at Dachau, is a wedding- reception staple. Hallelujah, covered by hundreds of artists, shot to No. 1 on the download hit parade.

At age 78, he continues to tour with great success.

Simmons, the author of biographies of Neil Young and Serge Gainsbourg, does a superb job telling Cohen’s strange story: a saga full of colorful characters (including figures such as Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan and Phil Spector).

Granted access to Cohen’s archive and to the artist himself (for a series of conversations) and drawing on original interviews with many others, the author traces his history from infancy to 2012 in a graceful style with more than a few of her own poetic touches.
FatherDougal

Post by FatherDougal »

I ordered a US copy via ebay last wk, & was very surprised ;-)
that the snail mail, delivered it here to Craggy Island, 6/7 later!
Total cost $33.00. Great prices, also, on pre-order from amazon.uk!

Great paper quality, & in hardcover! Reading it, the author Sylvie Simmons,
makes you believe that you're in the room with herself & LNC in her Epilogue.
The writing style allows you to delve into different chapters, as you so wish.

The perfect cure after a particularly gruelling day @ work... I know!

Now Mrs Doyle, where did you put my book.....
Well, Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again.
Chubi

Post by Chubi »

The German translation has been delivered today to my favourite local bookshop, so I suppose it is now available country (Germany) wide, and not only through amazon.de anymore.

Véronique
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Chubi wrote:The German translation has been delivered today to my favourite local bookshop
I had a quick look at it, and the translator (Kirsten Borchardt) seems to have done a really good job.

Here you can read an excerpt of the German translation:
http://www.randomhouse.de/content/editi ... 346667.pdf
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A review by A. M. Homes in the New York Times -
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/books ... ss&emc=rss
Crazy for Love
‘I’m Your Man,’ Leonard Cohen Bio by Sylvie Simmons

By A. M. HOMES
Published: October 12, 2012

He is poet and prophet, Buddhist bard “born in a suit,” a wandering Jew ever searching. A man of many generations, Leonard Cohen is still debonair, “looking like a Rat Pack rabbi.” His languorous voice grows deeper year by year as he gets us on his wavelength with recurring themes of love, religion, sex and loss.

Roz Kelly/Michael Ochs Archives — Getty Image
Leonard Cohen, circa 1960.

Leonard Norman Cohen was born in Montreal in 1934, into an upper-middle-class Jewish family. His mother was the daughter of a Talmudic scholar, Rabbi Solomon Klonitzki-Kline, his paternal grandfather, Lyon Cohen, a leader of the Canadian Jewish community. Nathan Cohen, his father, worked in the clothing business and died when his son was 9 years old. Cohen has talked about having had a “messianic” childhood and the strong sense that he was going to do something special, that he would “grow into manhood leading other men.” He was also “well aware that he was a ­Kohen, one of a priestly caste.”

A poet in the 1950s who wrote “Let Us Compare Mythologies” (1956) and a novelist in the 1960s with “The Favorite Game” (1963) and “Beautiful Losers” (1966), Cohen became disappointed with his lack of financial success and moved to the United States to pursue a career as a singer-­songwriter. His first album, “Songs of Leonard Cohen,” was released in 1967 and now, 45 years later, Cohen has put out “Old Ideas,” his 12th studio album, while embarking on a tour that will spin him in circles around Europe and North America.

In 1969 he told The New York Times: “There is no difference between a poem and a song. Some were songs first and some were poems first and some were simultaneous. All of my writing has guitars behind it, even the novels.”

In taking on this artful dodger, Sylvie Simmons, a well-known British rock journalist and the author of biographies of Neil Young and Serge Gainsbourg, bumps up against the inherent difficulty of telling the story of a storyteller. “I’m Your Man” demonstrates that it’s hard to write about a writer whose work is so language- and phrase-specific, so intimate and distant at the same time, perpetually engaged in the dance of seduction.

One reads Simmons’s hefty volume longing for a bit more historical context or counterpoint; Cohen came of age against the backdrop of World War II, the growing sexual revolution, the advent of LSD, and so forth. But once one realizes it is unrealistic to expect the biographer to write with the same gift of voice and precision as the artist, there comes great joy. There is a familiarity to much of Simmons’s material, the sense of being on the inside, as though the reader were sitting at the table during the conversations Simmons reports, and the overall experience is of a thoughtful celebration of the artist’s life.

And, it turns out, she tells us an enormous amount that even I, a Cohen aficionado, didn’t know, including exactly how Jewish Cohen’s upbringing was — he was steeped in Judaism — and that his religious exploration included a brief period as a Scientologist. This detail illuminates the line in Cohen’s song “Famous Blue Rain Coat,” “Did you ever go clear?,” an explicit reference to Scientology that until now was always opaque to me.

It was in London in 1960 that Cohen heard about Hydra, a small Greek island, sunny, warm, a colony of writers, artists and thinkers from around the world. With his inheritance from his grandmother, Cohen bought a house there for $1,500 and began a long relationship with a now celebrated woman called Marianne (Ihlen), not to be confused with the slightly more celebrated muse Suzanne (Verdal), whom he didn’t actually bed — or the second Suzanne (Elrod), the mother of Cohen’s two children, Adam and Lorca.

In the mid-1960s in New York, Cohen met Judy Collins and played her a few songs. She immediately recorded “Dress Rehearsal Rag” and “Suzanne,” and released them on “In My Life” in 1966. A short but fruitful relationship with Joni Mitchell is echoed in Mitchell’s classic songs “Chelsea Morning” and “Rainy Night House,” the second of which makes reference to Mitchell spending the night in Cohen’s mother’s house. Listening to the song again with the knowledge of their relationship adds a newfound resonance. Simmons’s illuminations of Cohen’s artistic cross-pollination give the reader the experience of dipping into cultural ephemera — the kind of extended liner notes that all fans love.

Women play a huge role in Cohen’s life — his need for female affection, along with his difficulty in remaining involved, is the stuff of legend. The biography features some brilliant passages on marriage, Buddhism, therapy and Cohen’s book “Death of a Ladies Man” (1978). In later years, Cohen has frequently quoted a line from his poem “Titles,” which was part of a collection, “Book of Longing”: “My reputation as a ladies’ man was a joke / that caused me to laugh bitterly / through the ten thousand nights / I spent alone.” In the mid-1990s a Swedish interviewer asked Cohen about love. “I had wonderful love, but I did not give back wonderful love,” he said. “I was unable to reply to their love. Because I was obsessed with some fictional sense of separation, I couldn’t touch the thing that was offered me, and it was offered me everywhere.”

Other surprises: Cohen’s decision to add stops at mental hospitals to his 1970 European tour, akin to what Johnny Cash did with prisons; and his persistent experience of war. Cohen was in Cuba at the time of the Bay of Pigs invasion of 1961, and in 1973 he traveled to Jerusalem to sign up on the Israeli side in the Yom Kippur War. He was assigned to a U.S.O.-style entertainer tour in the Sinai Desert and performed for the troops up to eight times a day.

In 1993, Cohen retreated to the Mt. Baldy Zen Center near Los Angeles and in 1996, three years into his stay, he was ordained a Zen Buddhist monk, taking the Dharma name Jikan, meaning a kind of silence. Cohen spent five years at Mt. Baldy, most of it working as the assistant and chauffeur to the Zen master Joshu Sasaki Roshi.

By 2004 Cohen had come down from the mountain and was living in Montreal when, Simmons tells us, he discovered that while he was gone, Kelley Lynch, his business manager and friend, had stolen almost all of his money. Cohen ultimately got a judgment against Lynch, but most of the money could not be recovered. He was broke and forced back on the road, only to find that his fan base had continued to grow and that he’d gone from being a cult hero to an icon, especially in the United States, where there are now multiple generations of Leonard Cohen fans. With his children grown and with children of their own (Cohen became a grandfather for the second time in 2011, when his daughter, Lorca, had a child with the singer ­Rufus Wainwright), it seems that Cohen is ­finally able to allow the love in.

Simmons has deftly narrated Cohen’s evolution, bringing the past into the present and reminding us of the breadth of the journey. “I’m Your Man” is an exhaustive biography, an illumination of an artist who has repeatedly said he’s not much of a self-examiner. Among the book’s side effects is that it sends you back to the source material; as you’re reading, you find yourself craving Cohen’s music in the background. In her interview excerpts, Simmons captures the elliptical nature of ­Cohen’s speech, the wry turns of phrase that are almost like stand-up comedy. Behind it all are a smirk and a wink; you know that Cohen knows how absurd it all is.

And in the end, this biography has the oddest effect: as soon as you finish reading it you feel an overwhelming impulse to go back and begin again, revisiting the story with what you’ve learned along the way. As Leonard Cohen sings in “Anthem”: “Ring the bells that still can ring / Forget your perfect offering / There is a crack in everything / That’s how the light gets in.”

I’M YOUR MAN
The Life of Leonard Cohen
By Sylvie Simmons
Illustrated. 570 pp. Ecco/HarperCollins Publishers. $27.99.

dick

Post by dick »

From Montreal Gazette

I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen

By Sylvie Simmons

McClelland & Stewart

576 pages, $35

“Not I, but the poet discovered the unconscious,” Sigmund Freud is quoted as saying. Who, then, discovers the poet? In Sylvie Simmons’s biography of Leonard Cohen, it will be you.

The central surprise in the 500-plus pages of I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen is that for all the artistic and hedonistic glamour, the bottomless psychic suffering, the mystic mystery, Leonard Cohen emerges as surprisingly knowable. The Leonard Koan is cracked. But in perfect irony, through most of the book and the life, Life is not entirely knowable to Cohen himself.

Happiness, equilibrium, marriage, a regular mailing address — these things elude, or are eluded by, Montreal’s titanically honoured poet laureate of rock, who was interviewed extensively by Simmons for this book.

There are ample surprise revelations, oddities: who knew Cohen was a frat joiner at McGill, that he wrote failed TV scripts, almost hosted a CBC show? He was an early Mac adopter and a Jerry Springer watcher (!) later in life. Jammed with Jimi, almost “double dated” with Iggy Pop. Fun to know, but the least of it.

The career arc, from meteoric young poet to legend, is officially enshrined in every corner of Canadian cultural honour and across the globe. But credit Simmons and her rigorous research for scouring the details of six decades of struggle and triumph in the Tower of Song. I’m Your Man doggedly reminds us that the tower was on fire.

Poetry, Music, Women, Spirit — those might be the headers if you pulled the life and the book apart into nastily confined sections. Instead, we can start with the guy, raised in conservative upper-middle-class Jewish Westmount, adored by mother Masha (a coddled Jewish son — who knew?), lost his father at 9, went to Westmount High, strolled the pre-dawn streets of Montreal as a teen, refining his emerging artistic sensibility and chick radar. Simmons bracingly confirms he was “not anti-establishment by any means,” in the words of Arnold Steinberg, his college pal and now chancellor of McGill University. No, Cohen sought and expected inclusion into the elite poet caste, and with Let Us Compare Mythologies (1956, McGill Poetry Series) would have it, entering into a lifelong elder/scion admiration society with Irving Layton.

And what a cheeky poet. When hanging out at Columbia in New York — there was no studying — Cohen proposed and succeeded in writing a term paper on … Let Us Compare Mythologies. So he had the rock attitude down. Though poetry was “the passport of all ideas,” he had deduced “the only economic alternative was … teaching or university or getting a job in a bank … but I always played the guitar and sang.”

He would flee to Hydra, an isolated Greek island populated by characters from a bad spy novel, where “everyone was in everyone else’s bed.” He would meet and win a jilted Oslo beauty named Marianne and buy a primitively perfect house with a $1,500 inheritance. Those were the days. And Marianne — might be a song in that. He would return to New York.

It was the ’60s, when “there’s music on Clinton Street all through the evening.” Cohen plunges in, writing Suzanne, meeting Judy Collins (who covers it) and experiencing performance — by dying onstage at the Village Theatre in 1967, slinking off when his voice and guitar fail him. It will be a major theme: the perceived failures, the self-castigation, the persistence.

Now, many will want to zoom forward to a chapter titled Taxes, Children, Lost Pussy, but hold off. The middle of the book is a catalogue of the many highs and psychic lows of a music career that now has the burnish of the icon, but was forever at risk. Yes, his first real song would become a standard and Hallelujah is a modern psalm. He will be revered by a younger generation — Nick Cave, Pixies, REM, Bono, the latter heralding him as “our Shelley, our Byron.” But at the time of the 1967 debut, Songs of Leonard Cohen, critics dismissed “a sad man cashing in on self-pity” whose albums should come “with razor blades.”

Still, the highs are high in two senses. On his 1970 European tour, he and his band ride horses onto a French festival stage, and Cohen is known as Captain Mandrax for the drug he gobbles. He drinks like a rock star and smokes like a Frenchman, jetting from Hydra to New York to Montreal to L.A. to Oslo to Paris and back while the records tank in Canada and the U.S. and he becomes a god in Europe. It’s the glam life you’ve yearned for as you light your Gauloise from the Chianti candle. It only gets better when crazy Phil Spector embraces Cohen and presses a gun to his neck, saying “I love you, Leonard.” And bilks him of half the songwriting for Death of a Ladies’ Man, crediting the album to “Spector & Cohen.”

Amid this colourful bio, Simmons provides us with something absent from most rock biographies: musical analysis. You (or I) might disagree with some of her readings, but Simmons has spent the time with the records. She has spent time with the people who made them — who adored Leonard, or did not. She gathers and cross-references a library of in-studio detail for every single record — personnel, arguments, Cohen’s ceaseless rewriting, the penniless backing band they found in a dive for his debut, the library of lost songs. “I’m cold as a new razor blade,” he says, but burns candles during every vocal. Rather than cold, there is a deep warmth.

There are vivid portraits from Simmons here of lost hedonistic Edens — Hydra, ’60s New York, the Chelsea Hotel. Portraits of the women are no less vivid: a couple of Suzannes, a Marianne, Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, later Rebecca De Mornay. The women — they are in the titles. Suzanne you likely know: it was Suzanne Verdal, wife of sculptor Armand Vaillancourt. He titled Sisters of Mercy for two female hitchhikers he invited into his Edmonton hotel room and watched over as they slept. And by the late stages of the story, Cohen has gone from Ladies’ Man to Man for the Ladies, eventually partnering musically with Sharon Robinson and Anjani Thomas in ways he perhaps could never do romantically. He will end up wanting to “be reincarnated as my daughter’s dog.”

Well, spirituality comes in many guises, and Simmons spends a significant page count on it. Cohen was lured by Scientology before pursuing Zen Buddhism and master Joshu Sasaki Roshi. And here, the disparate elements coalesce into one character who ties up the wine, women, song and soul: the Seeker. As Simmons catalogues, he had good reason to seek the light.

The threnody line running through the book and story is: Darkness Visible, a lifelong struggle with depression. There is family history. Beautiful, volatile Masha will spend time in the infamous Allan Memorial Institute. Cohen will live in the greys and blacks for most of his life, despite the loves, the success. He is the depressive who rescues a worldwide cult of suicidals.

Depression — to some extent, you can see his point. Why not? How many artists of his stature had a U.S. label bluntly refuse to release an album (Various Positions)? Dylan said, “Somebody’ll put out Leonard’s record here. They have to.” (So, the record industry has always been that dumb.) Depression — even a triumph, the hit I’m Your Man was made “under the usual dismal and morbid conditions”: Suzanne Elrod was suing him for child support. And how many septuagenarians who have poured a soul’s worth into their lifelong Book of Song find themselves betrayed by a trusted financial handler — the apparently deranged Kelley Lynch — and defrauded of an eight-figure sum? Just the one. In 2008, Cohen is forced out onto the road again.

It could be a sad story. Instead, enlightenment arises. Cohen breaks with Roshi, bows to guru Ramesh Balsekar in India and eventually finds the veil of a life’s gloom disintegrating. Meanwhile, a younger generation —Nick Cave, Pixies, REM, Bono — heralds him as “our Shelley, our Byron.” The tour is a global smash.

“There is a crack in everything / that’s how the light gets in.” The perfect lines on imperfection. On the shortest possible list of greatest writers this country has produced, in three disciplines — poetry, prose, pop — Leonard Cohen can be known here, to an extent. Because Simmons’s comprehensive, insightful book ultimately reminds us that the answers to the koan are less important than the irreconcilable mystery itself.

markjlepage@yahoo.com
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Original source article: I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen by Sylvie Simmons

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertai ... z29egs07pP
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

What a beautiful review, thanks for sharing :)
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
gui01

Post by gui01 »

The Dutch translation has just been released. I bought my copy yesterday. The price is 19,95 EUR.

Greetings from Belgium,

Gui
quetzalcoatl80

Post by quetzalcoatl80 »

I possess this biography US version.
Anybody could say me if a french edition is planned?
After the dutch, german and spanish versions, it would be logical?
Thank you.
Clem

Post by Clem »

Interesting excerpt for those of us who know these parts of London well

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... oment.html

Return to “News”