Wanted: Your opinions on the LC Forum for PhD Thesis

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Re: Wanted: Your opinions on the LC Forum for PhD Thesis

Postby BEATRIZ SALLES » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Done!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Mamtear ~

Can you actually use MORE than 100 from us?
Or does your sampling need to be a specific number, to keep it consistent with the others?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mamtear

Update - Some Results of PhD Thesis Study

Postby mamtear » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Hello to everyone on the Leonard Cohen forum, especially Jarkko and those generous people who filled out my survey :-)

I have some news on my thesis work and wanted to update you with what's been going on. After a long haul with some structural equation modelling software (which I will not bore you with) it looks as though my model is working. I have a theory about what makes communities like this succeed or not, and you have helped me by giving me data that helps me test that theory. And the awesome news is, the model works. Yay! I've placed a copy of some preliminary model results here so you can take a look. This model is with another community's data; the LC forum data works in regression analysis but I would need more surveys to see how it looks in structural equation modelling.

The survey is still open, to anyone who is interested...

http://queensbusiness.qualtrics.com/SE/ ... yNGJ5UriGU

It would be great if I could get enough to run the LC forum responses in this type of model too. I will follow up again once I have written up all of the results. I'd like to thank you again for your generosity and time in helping me get this information. The people in this community were very kind and supportive in their comments, and I really appreciate that.

All the best,

Maggie
prelim-WTS-SEM-results.jpg
The number in the lower right corner under RMSEA (.059) gets me in the right area to be able to say my model has a good fit with the data. This means that based on the theory I developed, real life data seems to support it.
mary emma

Postby mary emma » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:57 am

Hello,
Done. What a great survey and it makes you think what a great community this is...
Good luck with your thesis!
MaryEmma
mamtear

Postby mamtear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 am

Thank you, MaryEmma,
I'm quite excited by the results so far...this community has been wonderful about participating.
Take care,

Maggie
crista

Postby crista » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Having discovered the Forum only on the occasion of the pre-sale for the New York concert on 6 April, when I completed the survey, I said I did not have an opportunity yet to make sacrifices for the Forum community while I have enjoyed tremendously all the good things that are on offer here. It occurred to me afterward that I did devote some time to completing the survey, though it was hardly a sacrifice as it is very well constructed and I usually complete them as I send out quite a number of them myself in the course of my work.

Maggie, I hope you receive the 100 surveys and I am very interested to see your results - and good luck with your PhD!
1979 Cologne Messehalle 8 - 2012 New York Madison Square Garden - 2013 New York Radio City Music Hall x2; Zurich Hallenstadion
lindyasimus

Postby lindyasimus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:28 pm

I have added my response to the survey.

Good luck with your thesis.
And yes this is a very special bunch of people.

Thanks to all.

Lindy
Caren

Postby Caren » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 pm

I haven't seen this thread before but added my responses to the survey now. Those are interesting questions.

All the best for your Phd, Maggie.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
mamtear

Postby mamtear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Thank you everyone,
I'm getting closer in terms of numbers...I'm about 30 surveys away :-)
Again, I am very grateful to all of you...it has been challenging at times to get data. Everyone is so busy these days, and I truly value the time and effort you and your colleagues have made to help me get enough data for my study. I do hope that some of the findings will be useful and informative to you when I have the write-up completed.

All the very best,
Maggie
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 am

Dear Maggie ~

Only this late afternoon, I learned of our loss of someone whom I've come to regard as our Forum's matriarch, Arlene Dick. I've only just regained Internet access, and there was a PM awaiting me when I logged on from st theresa with this tragic news. She had the sense that I didn't know about it and was right. She wrote me two days ago to let me know. That's the kind of caring you find here.

Immediately beneath your thread is the one that Arlene's dear friend, sharon.e, initiated to share with so many who loved Arlene the news of her death. Sharon cared that we be notified, so came here as soon as she could to let us know. If you read through the many messages, you will get a palpable sense of how much people loved her, having met her or not... and you will experience our loving and supportive community first hand.

Beneath that thread you will get a sense of the kinds of people we have on this forum, with a sterling example of Arlene and how devoted she was to our Forum. She enriched us with photos, recordings, videos, information, and her own impressions, opinions, and ideas.

Finally, from that same thread, is this example of 'who' she was, as it so clearly signifies her approach to everything she did:
Thank you for your kind words. Yep, Lizzie. I am still going to Krakow even though I have "graduated" to walking with two canes. Neither floods, volcanoes or limited mobility will keep me from attending this outstanding Event.
My best to you with your research. I couldn't help but notice that these three threads in a row aligned so well with your topic, and as examples of a beautiful woman and member of our beautiful forum at their best.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
clive cass

Postby clive cass » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 am

I would be happy to assist if you need any further surveys completing.

Generally the forum is excellent and the moderators work hard to tidy it up. The forum uses a template system which itself is really good.

The trouble with forums is that some topics get spread over several threads and that some threads drift off topic and my advice to moderators is to take a much more pro active role in joining up threads and then closing down old threads. they should even open new threads and transfer anything off topic to the new thread. Moderators should also re name threads if the original name is unclear or elongated. Can I offer as an example / current threads Sad News Arlene Dick has Passed Away and Remembering Arlene as a good example.

However when moderators make changes as above or when they delete a post an automatic email should be sent to the originator of the the thread (and possibly to anyone who has posted on any of the merged or amended threads) to tell them of the change. Likewise any one who has a post deleted should be notified. This could be an automated email and members could choose to switch off this notification service in their preferences.

I think it is important to be notified if a post is deleted otherwise you think you have gone mad and not pressed submit but it also helps you understand what is and what is not acceptable. The automated email should ideally provide a copy of the deleted post so you can reconsider it, repost an amended version or use it to appeal to the moderator concerned or head moderator. Ideally the moderators should be willing to discuss the matter but I would equally understand if the moderator concerned was not even identified or did not want to engage in a discussion or appeal as I assume they are only volunteers.

I hope this helps
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
mamtear

Postby mamtear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 am

Dear Lizzy,
Thank you for commenting on this. I had noticed the sad news and was struck by how many people this lady had touched in one way or another, and the genuine sense of loss that people in the community are feeling.

There is a special sort of chemistry here that is very evident in the threads about Arlene. I am very sorry for your loss.
Respectfully,
Maggie
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 am

Thank you for your comments on Arlene and our community, Maggie. Your perceptions are spot on.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
DeborahMajicAfoot

Postby DeborahMajicAfoot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm

In answering these well-crafted questions, I realized how very amazing this Forum is. All the best with your research!
Portland 2010
mamtear

Postby mamtear » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:42 am

Thank you, Deborah and Clive, for the words of encouragement!
I very much appreciate your taking the time to fill out the survey.
I'm hoping to get another 30 or so and then I should have enough to resolve the model. As I look through the comments that many of you have written in the surveys I see so many terrific quotes that support the ideas that I am trying to explore.
Take care,
Maggie

Return to “News”