Goodbye, Dolores

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MaryB

Re: Goodbye, Dolores

Post by MaryB » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:48 pm

I am sorry to say that I did not know Dolores, so I thank all the members here who have given me an insight through their personal experiences of this lovely person. That Mr. Cohen has sent his condolences also says so much as to how she was so highly esteemed in this community.

My deepest sympathy to her husband, children, friends, and all who had the priviledge of knowing her.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:19 pm

It is so great to read all these comments about Dolores.

I had the pleasure of walking her back to her hostel in the early hours of the morning with Trish.

She just had this amazing child-like innocence about her, that I think she truly believed that all was always well.

I just wish I had some of her attitude to life. It was not even bravery, it was the belief that all people, even strangers are inherently good.

So delighted I met her. I saw her husband and daughter briefly in Haiger last September, when they called to give us a report on her health.
I could really feel the sadness in their hearts.
It is wonderful that her memory will linger on here for ever with these posts

We never forget the people we love, they live on in our imagination and memories
Cate

Post by Cate » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm

My condolences to all of you who are feeling the loss of Dolores today.
To be remembered so well with such warm and heartfelt words speaks well of a person.
andrea wrote: We met her all over the world at the cohen events, concerts, meet-ups, she managed to get everywhere and to talk to everybody even with her little english notion...she was unique , she was Dolores .....

I will light a candle for Dolores today in a church(in Berlin (where I am right now) ....

It seems this lovely lady had so many friends around the world - I'm imagining candles being lit in so many places for her.
foreverfan

Post by foreverfan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 pm

Such sad news. Dolores was ever so kind to me at the Berlin 2006 event. A fun, caring and very kind hearted person.
My heartfelt condolences to her family.
Breda
1993 Madrid | 2008 Dublin, London | 2012 ...
Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:36 pm

I am sad and I almost can't believe this... Since I don't speak german, I couldn't call Dolores a "close" friend, but I just can't picture not seeing her around everywhere where there is a Cohen meeting, or not coming up with a funny "Dolores moment". I remember the very adventurous, very early-morning arrival we had last year on Hydra (Ken and "his ladies"), which included a night on the Athens airport. I never, ever, imagined that the woman who had the courage to go on such a journey in a foreign country was so close to death.

Laura
B4real

Post by B4real » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:59 am

It is always a more than sad moment on the forum when we lose one of our own. The memory of Artur's passing is still with me. Age seems to make no difference. When your number is up, it is up. Delores seems to have been a person who made the most of every moment. More importantly, made the most of everyone else's moment if you were lucky enough to be with her. Last night I played some special LC songs for her. My prayers and thoughts are with her family and friends.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:44 am

Dolores has been a part of this wonderful Forum for so many years. I never met her, and that is my loss. If that wonderful photo of her at the Green Note is any indication, she was quite the lady! What energy! She seems to have loved life to the fullest. My thoughts are with all of you who DID know Dolores, and have so many memories of her. And my thoughts and prayers are with her family, and all those who loved her deeply. Her joy made so many feel good...may her joy now, being at peace, also touch many hearts.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:56 am

You're so right, tinderella... it was exactly like that with Dolores... part of the lightness of her home safe-and-sound attitude with having become lost on the New York City subway system in the middle of the night.
She just had this amazing child-like innocence about her, that I think she truly believed that all was always well.
. . .
It was not even bravery, it was the belief that all people, even strangers are inherently good.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 am

Goodbye, for now ....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:03 am

This is sad news indeed. I have fond memories of Dolores amongst us at various times over the years.

She was a warm, effusive, delightful person - with her lovely bright happy hats symbolic of the colour she added to whatever occasion she was part of with us.

I'm sure all of us who knew her will agree that she will be sadly missed at our gatherings.

My condolences to her husband and other family members.

Andrew D.
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:40 pm

this is so sad

dolores for those of us lucky enough to have met her was such a wonderful and joyful person

i have so many happy memories of our times together at various cohen gatherings

it is hard to believe that within a couple of weeks of us all enjoying her company on hydra last year dolores was to start what was to be a 10 month long battle for her life

even though ulrich and henning kept us regulary informed on dolores' health situation it was still a terrible shock when the news came through of her passing

dolores will always have a special place in my heart

we have all lost a good friend

my thoughts at this time are with ulrich and the rest of the family

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Wybe wrote: When we walked to our hotels and said goodbye, there was a clear sign that she was not feeling well. She said “I have to look around to remember this beautiful place, this will be my last time here.”
Wybe, your post about Dolores' last time in Hydra is really moving and brought tears in my eyes. I'm glad she could enjoy Hydra a last time. Maybe we should find a place there in Hydra to remember her?

Goodbye Dolores! It was really nice I have met you. R.I.P.

My condolences to Ulrich and Dolores' children. I wish you comfort and power for the coming days.
Here some lines from a gospel:
Touch me Lord,
I need your helping hand.
Touch me Lord,
I need to understand,
why my feet
get tired and weary,
and I seem to loose my way.
Send your angels down,
don’t let me go astray.
Padma

Post by Padma » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:32 pm

The image I've held in my mind for many years is of Dolores at the GN with outstretched arms - it still makes me smile. This is very sad news.
Violet

Post by Violet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:56 pm

.. I didn't know Dolores, but there is such love here for her, it's truly moving to see.

.. my heart and sympathy go out to her family, and all her many friends.

v. x
Violet
don

Post by don » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:33 pm

This is very sad news.

My most vivid memory of Dolores comes from the New York Event in 2004. She was always so engaged in the activities -- including Evelyn's guided tour of Manhattan Cohen sites -- even though she could not understand English. The language barrier never stopped her from participating in everything that was going on.

Dolores always marched to her own drummer. One night after an event downtown, she got on the subway by herself and headed uptown toward our accommodations at Columbia University.

She missed her stop.

Those of you who know NYC will understand that the next stop takes you into deepest Harlem: not the best place for a lady of a certain age with no knowledge of English to wander after midnight. But Dolores was dauntless. She got off the subway and walked back to Columbia. The next day we all had a new respect for this fearless woman whose love of the Master and the Cohenista community would take her to many further adventures.

Rest in peace, brave soul.
d.
Don Cummer
Ottawa, Canada/Dublin, Ireland

Return to “News”