LA Times court case report

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Jonnie Falafel

Re: LA Times court case report

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

I was once the victim of stalking by an obsessive with delusions so I've read a bit about the subject. There are gender differences... male stalkers are more likely to use violence or threats of violence, women to try to destroy reputations etc... I hope she can be helped to find her way out of this cycle of thoughts she's spiraled down into.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's the best news I've heard or read today, Jonnie. Thank you for it.

For the females, does that include hiring others, or are they already so invested in ruining reputation [for the most part] that they don't diverge into that.

Interesting differences, though I can follow the logic of it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lizzytysh wrote:With Kelley . . . I did get one of those bizarre emails from her.
consider yourself fortunate, elizabeth. i received rather more than that, and still have them - every one.
-g
Gabby

Post by Gabby »

Jeezz, so sorry to hear this awful case is still ongoing for Mr. Cohen. Sincerely hope Leonard will be able to relegate this whole nasty incident to the deepest darkest corner of his mind, never to be called upon again... (unless the experience itself becomes a 'muse' of some sort to instigate the creation of some more sublime music....silver lining in all clouds don't ya know!!! ;-) ). With a bit of luck it will be over soon and by the time the 'OI' tour starts it will be old history! Anyway, as those of us who have been blessed to have been able to attend his concerts know, the palpable love and admiration his audiences have for him can and will carry him through anything!

Heartfelt best wishes to you Mr. Cohen :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I did, even at the time, geoffrey :? . I was shocked, as I'm sure were the others, when it appeared at all... as in "How did I get into this :? ... ," yet the fact that I did and you did and a number of others did, lends credence to Jon's comments about the differences. It's clear that she had/has some serious issues. My guess is that you received many. The fact that they arrived, at all, was notable enough to save them... I know.

I like your comments, Gabby, and join you in your heartfelt best wishes to Leonard... with the hope that this will soon be behind him and he can relax, truly relax.
~ Oscar Wilde
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

For safety's sake, I'll stay neutral on this one (since a few years back I saw myself quoted in papers relating to the case). When Leonard said "Every time I see a car slow down, I get worried", I suspected an element of humour...rather like him saying that since he had been a vegetarian, he could pat a dog with a clear conscience. We have of course got Kelley to thank for driving Leonard back onto the road. Then again, if she wins I would expect a sharp increase in ticket prices!
Last edited by John Etherington on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEW_IDEAS

Post by NEW_IDEAS »

Just how did she spend those 5 million dollars? What a sick world!
Ring the bells!
L.C. - Helsingborg, Gothenburg, Copenhagen 2008. Malmö 2010. Copenhagen, Gothenburg 2012. ????????? 2026 :=)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Well, she can't say that she spent a fortune on Leonard Cohen concerts! Seriously though, Kelley was very helpful in the past with communications that I sent to Leonard's office. I hope they find a speedy and satisfactory resolution to the issues that this case concerns, and that the lives of those involved are able proceed in the best possible way.
Last edited by John Etherington on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

i remember seeing comments about you, john... but wasn't going to relate that ;-) :roll: ~ that's for you to do.

i see what you mean about Leonard's comment possibly being humour. it's his type.

she's not going to win against him on anything! it's her that's being tried, not him.
though i guess her not being found Guilty [impossible to imagine] could be considered a 'win' by her side.
~ Oscar Wilde
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

There is a local (LA) blogger who covers high profile court cases and reports on them. In local cases she actually attends the proceedings and she did just that in the Phil Specter case(s). This brought her onto the Kelley Lynch radar. Today she blogged about that experience and published an example of the kinds of (multitudinous) emails she received from Ms Lynch. You can find the blog by Googling: Trials and Tribulations. It will give you some idea of what LC is up against. AGT...
Jazz
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

jazz4111 wrote:There is a local (LA) blogger who covers high profile court cases and reports on them. In local cases she actually attends the proceedings and she did just that in the Phil Specter case(s). This brought her onto the Kelley Lynch radar. Today she blogged about that experience and published an example of the kinds of (multitudinous) emails she received from Ms Lynch. You can find the blog by Googling: Trials and Tribulations. It will give you some idea of what LC is up against. AGT...
Link: http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/201 ... -with.html

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I've only read this one email and 'Oh My Goodness!', I feel so bad for anyone who has ever received an email from her. I'm not familiar with a lot of names, but, she attacks almost everyone!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

The problem with these experiences is that they leave a long lasting and deep impression on the psyche. I rehearsed for years what I would do if I ever saw my harasser again and I find myself looking at people over twenty years after the event because they resemble her and thinking 'that could be her 20 years on'.... and stealing myself for the confrontation. I also wonder in these days of the internet if I'm not already tracked or traced!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Anyone who ever got any of this chain emails from her knows that the press is putting it mildly. It was seriously demented and dangerous. Unfortunately I received many of those writings each time she was off the institution and went to the nearest internet connection.

That blogs covers it well. Many of our members will recall her involvement with Spector's trial on certain blogs.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's disheartening, Jonnie, for you as well as for Leonard.
My two situations were relatively short-term, but disturbing nonetheless, with an incredible amount of energy expended outward to my surroundings, more than they ought to have been required to be... but it wasn't volitional, but instinctive... and that's because the psyche has been affected. In a way that you would like to feel that you ought not feel, I felt relief when I heard that [when] each had died. So, the slowing car concern may not be a joke at all, but Leonard rather putting reality in a humourous way, i.e. "It'll put a dent in your mood." As Tom said, the demented and dangerous elements come through. One was too much.

I didn't follow Spector's trial/blogs, but I'm sure she didn't hold anything back.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”