Leonard recites That is What I Heard You Say in new TV spot

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Cate

Re: Leonard recites That is What I Heard You Say in new TV s

Post by Cate »

lizzytysh wrote:Plain and simple, a beautiful and artistic project
absolutely - wow that glass

I really like this!!!
Of course I love the words and how they're recited, I also appreciate that they've chosen to feature spoken verse as opposed to a song. We all know what a great poet Mr. Cohen is and how a poem can make you feel so I think it's a wonderful opportunity to those who haven't had that experience yet to experience it. I love the visual as well.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Yes, you who are broken by power,
you who are absent all day,
you who are kings for the sake of your children's story,
the hand of your beggar is burdened down with money,
the hand of your lover is clay.
woody

Post by woody »

hmm the subject of selling out is a complicated one. we all interact in the corporate world daily in one way or another- where we work, where we shop, what we buy... it's very hard to get away completely unsullied. in saying that my instinctive reaction is to dislike this. i know cohen has 'worked' for sony for a long time... but in the artist record company arrangement the lines of engagement seem clearer.
here using such an intensely personal lyric to flog 3d televisions just seems unhealthy. now it's not so much "getting lost in that hopeless little screen" as "getting immersed in the giant high definition 3d screen"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Overall, these comments come across as well thought out, Woody.
What I'm not so clear on [though I'm clear on how I feel] is WHO is to determine where the lines are to be drawn... on acceptability.
The record deals don't seem to be very clear to me, with so many fingers in the pot and the artist coming out quite far behind.
The lines Leonard recites are, indeed, very personal lines and you make that point well.
You also make a very effective [and humourous] final zinger point using Leonard's own lines written years ago.
The way I choose to view this creative project, however, remains that Leonard may finally be getting some compensation well-deserved from Sony or from Arev... and who better to determine how his own lines get used than he who wrote them. I still have to weigh in on the side of Leonard's own personal and professional freedom... and they are used here as part of a portrayal of two people finding each other in a crazy, mixed-up world. And the usage of his beautiful lines in this delightful mini-movie aka ad suggests that what happened afterward with them was a beautiful relationship.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

In Making of Sony Two Worlds at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ONkg9ezYk they speak about Leonard's contribution after 4th minute, and then - as we hear him reciting - the camera pans to left, to the sound-isolated recording box in the studio and fades out in a second.

Of course, there's Leonard Cohen just recording the poem, behind the glass. It's at 4:56
Attachments
leonard-two-worlds-at-4-56.jpg
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

I caught that Tom – and enjoyed that mysterious glimpse of the darkened recording studio 8)

If, as stated in the 'making of...' video, the intent was to stir emotion in the viewer, rather than just impressing us with 3D animation special effects, it certainly worked as intended on me! I ain't rushing out to buy a 3D TV, but kudos to Sony for this classy ad that IMO successfully dances between advertising and art.

Hey Cate – I can't help it – this film brings Agent Longing and V. to mind...
canuck

Post by canuck »

If it makes the naysayers happier: Don't think of it as selling out. Think of it as buying in.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From The Drum - Modern Marketing and Media -
http://thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/10/18/3d ... nches-week
18 October 2011 - 8:53am
by Ishbel Macleod

3D Sony Advert Created by Grey London Launches This Week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LKsomPow-s

A 3D advert for Sony, ‘Two Worlds’, inspired by award-winning short film Nuit Blanche has been created by Grey London.

Featuring an original poem, 'That's What I Heard You Say’ written and read by Sony artist Leonard Cohen, the advert features an original soundtrack by composer Clint Mansell and post-production by Digital Domain.

It was directed by Arev Manoukian, who also directed the short film which the advert is based on.

Nils Leonard, executive creative officer, said: “Sony Two Worlds is about the irresistible urge to get closer to the things that you love, to get nearer to make them more real.

“Nuit Blanche rediscovered romance in a way that nobody had really ever seen before. We collaborated with Arev to take this work to a new place, knowing that the power of 3D technology, the words of Leonard Cohen and the music of Clint Mansell would only enhance the emotion further.”

The advert will show in both 2D and 3D in markets worldwide.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Just download the sound of YouTube video (e.g. using DVDVideoSoft Free Studio), add the track to your unreleased Cohen tracks playlist, or to your Leonard Cohen spoken poetry pieces (along with tributes to Paul Simon, Joni MItchell and Judy Collins, etc.), and enjoyed it as a masterpiece of spoken poetry. As I did :)

The accompanying music by that guy who composed music, Clint Mansell, us much better than Philip Glass and Neil Larsen, imho. He should do the whole CD of Book of Longing using Leonard's voice recordings as well. (Philip Glass got the whole audio book for his use.)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Posted at "Sparkler" - a research agency in the UK -

http://www.sparkler.co.uk/2011/11/3dtv- ... the-visual
3DTV ads: More than just visual…
Posted November, 2011

Although I’ve yet to jump onto the 3DTV bandwagon, I was recently captivated by Sony’s new ‘Two Screens’ ad – albeit in the 2D format. You see, I haven’t actually seen the ad in 3D yet. I’ve tried to view the 3D version on YouTube – with a pair of 3D specs that I picked up at the Ritzy cinema – but without much luck. Unfortunately, everything was just a sea of red and green. So, unless you’ve got some cutting edge 3D glasses, you’re better off viewing the 2D version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLKsomPow-s

I’m sure you’ll agree, even the 2D effects are pretty. Visually, it’s superb. There’s no arguing that. It reminds me of that Levis ad where the couple run through walls to Handel’s Sarabande. The visuals alone make for an incredible piece of advertising. I’ve recently read almost a dozen or so reviews waxing lyrical about its incredible effects and how this type of advertising is ‘the dawn of a new age’. And that’s all great.

However, I feel the real beauty of the ad doesn’t lie within the visuals, but within the evocative score paired with Leonard Cohen’s baritone voice. It’s quite an exceptional soundtrack. Without knowing what this ad is about you could quite innocently get caught up in imagining this is an advertisement for love or for life itself. For poetry at the very least. It’s the score, and Leonard’s voice that pulls the very same heartstrings as in that final scene – and Morgan Freeman’s final few words in Shawshank: “I hope I can make it across the border… I hope to see my friend and shake his hand… I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams, I hope…”.

It’s ironic that the most powerful part of this ad – imbued with all its visual wizardry – is actually is the score and the spoken word of Cohen’s poetry. The other thing is after watching this again, I can’t help thinking how powerful this would be as a radio ad. Obviously, that’ll never happen as 3D is the key focus. But, play it again without watching. Pretty powerful stuff.

Tom O’Dwyer, Senior Consultant, Sparkler
This entry was posted in Views. Bookmark the permalink.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Great comprehensive review by Tim Nudd for Adweek:
http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising- ... ove-136355
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Well said:
As the review in the FT [Financial Times] said this week “if this was a radio ad it would be the best radio ad in the world” and really the special effects don’t match the emotional power of Cohen’s spoken words, but what could?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's great getting Leonard's input in Tim Nudd's review.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
canuck

Post by canuck »

Has anyone seen this on a 3D Blu Ray disc? The ad mentions that they are using it as trailers on DVDs.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

lizzytysh wrote:It's great getting Leonard's input in Tim Nudd's review.
I believe that would be "Nils Leonard," executive creative director at Grey London.

Return to “News”