Guardian: My Favourite Album

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
commonweal

Guardian: My Favourite Album

Postby commonweal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:40 pm

The Guardian newspaper has been doing a series of My Favourite Album, in which assorted Guardian hacks write about, well, their favourite album.

The Songs of Leonard Cohen has now been subjected to this treatment (hurrah!). And the piece is not so bad.

See here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... nard-cohen
hydriot

Re: Guardian: My Favourite Album

Postby hydriot » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for this. I really loved:

"In fact, this is Cohen's special skill, to sound like he's been around the block so many times he's come out the other side; he can stick up for old-fashioned moral values from a position from deep inside the hippy gender war."

I hadn't seen the opening credits of McCabe and Mrs Miller before, with The Stranger Song. Interesting, the long instrumental in the middle. Did Leonard record this version specially for the film (I notice she doesn't try the handle of the road), or did they edit in a session guitarist, I wonder? (I ask this because in the instrumental bridge there are some rapidly repeated chords which, while atmospheric, don't sound like Leonard, at least to me).
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
somewhat_nifty

Re: Guardian: My Favourite Album

Postby somewhat_nifty » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Hehe, I was wondering when Leonard Cohen would turn up. I'm sure I do believe this guy, but referencing LC seems to have become a shortcut to cool these days...
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “News”