Jennifer Warnes interview

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
caz

Jennifer Warnes interview

Post by caz »

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entertain ... story.html

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere (I couldn't see it anywhere), but here is an article about Jennifer Warnes in which she makes some lovely observations about Leonard.

On a day after an earthquake, two days before a hurricane and in the midst of an economic meltdown, Jennifer Warnes was explaining why she’s touring for the first time in two years — in Canada, of all places.

It’s because the world is in a “blender.”

“I can’t stand still,” Warnes said from her home near Venice, Calif.

“I think making connections to people is crucial right now, just crucial.”

If a song can help — impeccably sung by an artist who sees music as a means to an end — the world might not be in such bad shape after all.

Warnes grew up in California, a child prodigy whose voice made strangers cry in church.

“I didn’t have any clue what was going on other than it was effective and I didn’t have to wash the dishes with my brothers and sisters.”

Her father rebuffed a recording contract offered to his seven-year-old daughter. She’s grateful he did “because the music business is just a corrupt, insane path and it would hurt a child, it would hurt any child.”

She seemed destined for opera but chose a path that went in some unexpected directions — songwriter, folksinger, recording artist, Broadway (the lead in Hair), TV (the Smothers Brothers). By the late 1980s, she had two Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe and had lent her voice to three songs that won Academy Awards: It Goes Like It Goes from Norma Rae, Up Where We Belong (with Joe Cocker) from An Officer and a Gentleman and Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing.

But her movie music career hardly means a thing compared to her association with Leonard Cohen. Her career was well-established by the time she introduced herself to him in a hotel lobby in Hartford, Conn. Their friendship would change her work and her life.

“I read people well and I felt like his eyes were like falling into the Grand Canyon, and I got it. I got that we would meet and know one another. I knew that.”

Some time later, Cohen asked her to sing backup on a tour of his. Later, she had a smash success with her album of Cohen songs, Famous Blue Raincoat.

They stay in touch mainly by phone and email, and have shared the same housekeeper for 25 years. It’s a treasure to know him, she says.

“I would never attempt in an article to sum up anything I feel about him. But he’s a gentle man, he’s generous, he’s kind, he’s tender, he sees through what you’re trying to ask before you ask it.

“ I learned how to offer more to a person than I normally would have done and to offer more to life.”

Cohen, she says, caused her to “dump my aspirations to do anything superficial.” She did some of that anyway, to pay the bills, but Cohen’s influence never waned.

“He, in a way, derailed a perfectly innocent career and turned it into a career with integrity,” she laughs.

She laughs generously throughout the interview, contradicting any presumptions that she’s some kind of unapproachable icon.

She likes to say that music means less to her than people think — it’s connecting through music that attracts her. Other misconceptions amount to “99 per cent of what’s in the press,” she says, laughing again.

“ For some reason, I’ve very intentionally hidden who I was all my life. Because I didn’t want to be broken.

“Half of my peers are dead. I saw that. I thought survival was a really important attribute. A lot of the fragile ones didn’t make it. Fifty per cent.”

Warnes, who put her life on hold in her mother’s declining years and hasn’t written a song since, cherishes the comfort Cohen gave her at her mother’s funeral. We don’t get to choose where love comes from, he told her: “Your only proper response is to say yes, and you always said yes to her offer of love. You got love from the one place we all want it.”

Warnes can finally see a day when the pain lets go and she does feel like writing again. In the meantime, she finds songs she likes and has a new album that’s almost finished — but there’s so much tumult in the music industry she doesn’t know when it might come out.

For now, what she’s most interested in is the unique challenge of the upcoming tour. With only a guitarist and bass player accompanying her, there’s nowhere to hide. She likes that pressure.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever toured with so little music. And I’m older now and absolute empty air is all I have to cling to, really. So I’m kind of excited about it. I’m going to show the audience who I am.”
sturgess66

Re: Jennifer Warnes interview

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks for posting caz - good article.
Hope she adds some more dates to her tour.

Link for her website -
http://www.jenniferwarnes.com/index.htm ... /news.html
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene has posted this same article under 'Other Music'. It is a most wonderful article and I'm glad you posted it here also caz. Better chance of more members running across it.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
holydove

Post by holydove »

Beautiful article, caz! I wouldn't have seen it in the other section, so thank you for posting it here!

Return to “News”