GOT THE SPECIAL POSTCARD!!!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:23 am

:cry:
Nothing.
:cry:
Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:43 am

Leonard probably won't be there till Frances, Ivan and Jeanne leave. But I hope he arrives before "Karl" which I think might be the next name on the list.
--
Paul.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:24 am

Linda - sorry for the typo in your name (last letter of your familly name was "n" instead of "m")! I'm the one to blame - I made for Eija a summary of all orders received in letters, and the typo seems to be already in my list!

Everybody - about missing cards: we checked very carefully that all got their cards (crosschecked twice all orders and cards, and before taking them to the post office counted one more time the number of cards, and it was equivalent to the orders). Let's wait a bit to see if the missing cards materialize, and if not, we have some reserve here.

Jarkko
Henning

Post by Henning » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:34 am

Jarkko,

I got my card early but what happened next is simply tragedy. I noticed a grease spot on the card and I instantly knew who's to blame: The postman who always delivers mail with a Frankfurter in one hand. I told him about the card and he wanted me to show him. When I showed him he suddlenly grabbed it and off he went leaving me behind with a stupid look and devastated. I wouldn't have said anything in here but knowing that you are a backup man it is so good that you will be able to replace it. But don't sent it to my address again, please bring it to Hydra next year.

Thanks
Henning
Myfair

Post by Myfair » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:51 am

Thanks 1000 times!
I got this wonderful postcard here in Thailand last Friday, September 24.

A Day later I received a Promo Copy of "Dear Heather"!
I am so happy I could cry!

Manfred
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:38 pm

"OFF he went!?!" Henning!?! He has no right to do that!?! At that juncture, it's mail theft, is it not??? No matter what his role, prior to [and relevant to] your receipt of it~! Or does it need to be from out of the mailbox, or out of the garbage? At the very least, it's theft!!! Where's our world-famous barrister?

What was he doing ~ removing/destroying the evidence, in case you were going to report him for 'eating on the job' [potentially ~ and in fact ~ ruining people's mail] when he's supposed to be taking meal and other breaks off the job! I guess you're not, but I'd be reporting that action to his supervisor.

Paul ~ Yes, I am thinking that you are right, and I keep trying to allow for that. My anxiety has been working overtime lately [say, ohhhh, the last 6 weeks!?! :wink: ]. Hopefully, Karl will do the last I heard he was going to do ~ follow Lisa out into the ocean [perhaps the hidden benefit of having a male name in such close proximity to a female one :wink: ].

More calmly waiting now, due to your and others' reassurance.

~ Lizzy
Paula

Post by Paula » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:27 pm

Henning - what a bitter-sweet moment. What do you think he is going to do with the postcard. Destroy the evidence? Did you tell him where to stick his frankfurter :lol:

Lizzie I think the problem is they are naming these hurricanes with soft names. They should signify strength K will probably be Kevin and it should be Klaus :lol:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:14 pm

YES!!! Mine arrived 8) ! I happened to be home. However, we are not in the world of pristine. I like you, Bee, had the overlay, outer layer of paper skin come off, removing the top parts of the "a" and the top parts of the "d" from Road. There's a slight 'tear' of the same nature further down, near the bottom right, that didn't affect any of Eija's beautiful penmanship. The lower left of the front has two, parallel creases, and a tiny bend, going inward, at the edge. Those creases can be seen from the other side of the card. The other, three corners have teeny-tiny bends. There's a crease coming from the top, vertically, into Leonard's hat. It cannot be seen from the other side of the card.

The card as a whole is 'warped' [like they do with heat] in the opposite direction of the tiny bend [so the photo curves upward toward me on the top and the bottom. Then, there are marks on his face, top portion of his body, and hat, that didn't break the skin of the paper enough to remove colour, but can be see [with a slight gouge look] when the light hits the card. Does anyone else's have a white, paper, 1/2[?]-inch-wide, mailing strip that goes nearly the length of the card [with light pink bands], mine being on the left side [unevenly placed, of course :D ], on the front of the card?

It looks like the postal workers in my state, and enroute through the South and other storm-hit areas, must have had more on their minds than "getting this to Elizabeth in pristine condition." Imagine :shock: :wink: .

So, all that said, I'm still VERY grateful :D to have my 'original-issue' card safely in hand, the date and point-of-origin of the postmark very clear, and just 'grazing' the lower, left-hand corner of the stamp itself 8) . I'm wondering, Jarkko ~ did any of the postal workers you spoke with, whilst doing all of this, know of Leonard?

Eija ~ your writing on here looks wonderful ~ perfect for framing :) . Thank you, again, Jarkko, for your splendid idea ~ and for all of your work, Eija and Jarkko, for making this happen! Mine, with all of its battle scars, remains a beautiful treasure :D . Perhaps, it's most appropriate to include some 'hurricane damage.' :lol:

Love,
Elizabeth :D

Yes, I know what you're saying, Paula, because they have 'lighter' names, they feel the need to prove their masculinity ~ or, in the case of Jeanne, with too 'light' a name, that "I am WOMAN ~ hear me ROAR!"? However, Ivan interrupts that theory ~ remember Ivan the Terrible? What stronger name could you want? Maybe Attila? Of course, K is already Karl :? ~ but at least he has the sense to chase the skirts [aka outer bands] of Lisa.
We'll see if Karl gets distracted. You know, the names list is prepared prior to the onset of the season. Then, they just check them off as they go, and see how far down the list they make it each year. No idea what their policy is for re-using names that didn't get taken the year prior. If they can't be repeated on the list, by this point, they may be running out of names, and coming up with some real quirky ones [considering what they're naming :shock: !].

Love, and thanks again, Jarkko and Eija,
Lizzy
LaurieAK

Post by LaurieAK » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:35 pm

My beautiful postcard arrived in Juneau. Quicker than i expected and other than a few dogsled drool marks on the address side (okay, maybe it was just postal machines) in great shape. Thanks so much Jarkko and Eija for all your efforts.

regards,
Laurie in Alaska
Paula

Post by Paula » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:16 pm

Oh I didn't realise they had already named all the hurricanes. They should see what they look like first to see if the name suits. Lisa sounds a bit wet as well (no pun intended). They should call it Leanora or Lara. :lol:

Sorry your postcard dribbled thru your letterbox in such a state. It might have been the scarifical postcard that saved the rest of ours. It gave its life so ours might live :lol:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great take on my sacrificial postcard, Paula! :lol: :lol: :lol: Like the stubborn garbage bag that time will not decay, however, it still arrived, a bit bedraggled, but proud :D .

I've always thought they should hold off on naming them, too ~ and matching the names appropriate to their strengths. Geesss ~ meteorologists :roll: at the Hurricane Center. Maybe, it's just the Center staff ~ people just like us, in which case, we could certainly do better!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:13 am

Henning: I will see that you get a new card. Meanwhile, you should make a complaint - such a mailman may destroy other important mail as well!

Everybody: I'm running short of cards and stamps. Looks like some cards have been badly damaged on their way, and one or two are still missing.
It will be possible to replace these but we have to order more stamps and cards. Unfortunately those who want the replacements have to pay the cost price of about 2 euros. All the money we collected (5 euros per participant) has been used to the stamps, cards, L's birthday gift, and the rest was donated to War Child Canada; I didn't leave any reserve for the replacements :cry: ). Also, note that the new cards cannot be postmarked on September 21 for obvious reasons. If we want a manually made special postmark it costs 0,15 euros extra, charged by the Philately department of our postal authority. All letters and cards are normally cancelled automatically and the postmark may or may not go over the whole stamp.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:27 pm

All errors and ommisions aside, I think that Jarkko and the rest of the Cohen Camp did a fantastic job in organising, arranging, fluffing and primping our lovely postcards. What are a few nicks when it is only WE that have the cards? Let's all pass them down to our children and our chldren's children's children - allowing the Cohen spirit to carry on.
margaret

Post by margaret » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:43 pm

Jarkko,

Thank you so much for all the work that you and Eija put in on this project.

My card finally arrived today, a full week after my husbands, just I was beginning to think it lost forever. :D It was also in pretty good condition :D

No need to reserve me another. Thanks again

Margaret
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:59 pm

Look like all cards have now arrived, and not a single one got lost!

Return to “News”