Grandpa Again

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
ladydi

Re: Grandpa Again

Post by ladydi »

@bene449,

I think a few of us (or perhaps many of us) may have an inkling as to who Leonard might be seeing now....or at least have very deep feelings for. It may be someone from his past, or it may be someone fresh and new. I feel he and Anjani will always be friends...so many years and so many connections, plus so much combined talent.

But, I DO suspect that he is most of all thrilled at becoming a grandfather again...this time to a little girl! She will be very loved and spoiled!
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

A very special blessing for Lorca,Rufus and Jorn. This little girl will be surrounded by love and that is what is relevant. Many blessings and happiness always for Viva and her family...
donalagata
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

In many of the articles announcing the birth of Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen, Lorca Cohen is characterized as “the surrogate.” Of course, she is no such thing. She did not carry the child for someone else. Lorca Cohen is the mother of the baby and Rufus Wainwright is the father. The child will live with Lorca, and be brought up by her. Rufus and Lorca are good friends of long standing, and he will have ample opportunity to enjoy his daughter's company.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, he will :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
gallina

Post by gallina »

Thank you Jarkko for clarifying it. I was so upset reading that expression in the articles (nobody used that word before, it must have been a jounalist invention adopted by others, without reading Rufu's official statement. :? )
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
sirius

Post by sirius »

Hallelujah! Rufus Wainwright has baby with Leonard Cohen's daughter

A year after revealing his 'paternal feelings' Rufus reveals that Lorca Cohen has given birth to a baby girl who will be brought up by both of her parents, as well as Wainwright's partner

Sean Michaels

guardian.co.uk, Monday 21 February 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/fe ... orca-cohen

Musical family ... Rufus Wainwright has had a baby with Lorca Cohen, daughter of Leonard. Photograph: Christopher Polk/Getty Images for Gucci
Rufus Wainwright has had a baby with Leonard Cohen's daughter. Wainwright made the surprise announcement on Friday, revealing that Lorca Cohen gave birth to a girl on 2 February. Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen will reportedly be brought up by both of her parents, as well as Wainwright's partner, "deputy dad" Jorn Weisbrodt.

Canadian musical royalty may never have been more tightly knit. "Darling daughter Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen was born on 2 February 2011 in Los Angeles, California," Wainwright revealed on his website, naming he, Cohen and Weisbrodt as "proud parents". "The little angel is evidently healthy, presumably happy and certainly very, very beautiful. Daddy #1 would like to offer everyone a digital cigar and welcome the little lady in with a French phrase from his favorite folk song, À La Claire Fontaine: 'Il y a longtemps que je t'aime, jamais je ne t'oublierai.'"

Almost exactly a year ago, Wainwright spoke to the Guardian about his "paternal feelings", saying he and Weisbrodt were "exploring all options, sort of, at the moment". But he immediately brought up Lorca, and an anecdote concerning her father. "One time I was hanging out with Leonard Cohen and his daughter," Wainwright told Tim Adams. "She was talking about this child she had known as a baby who she hadn't seen for a few years and how he was now grownup, and she said to her dad: 'You know, it's pretty amazing watching how the baby became a person.' Leonard looked at her and replied very drily, as only he could: 'You know, it's pretty much the only amazing thing there is.'"

Just 12 months later, Wainwright – who is gay – has become a father. Viva Catherine is clearly named after Wainwright's mother, the folk singer Kate McGarrigle, who died in January 2010. Rufus's sister, the singer-songwriter Martha Wainwright, had her first child in London at the end of 2009.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2011
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for posting this article, sirius.

It very respectfully said all that needed to be said.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
holydove

Post by holydove »

Very lovely article - made me smile repeatedly - thank you for posting it, Sirius!

May all the Brilliant & Beautiful Cohens & Wainwrights - & any combination thereof - live long & prosper!!
lightning

Post by lightning »

Rufus should be singing "La Non Demande en Mariage," a refusal to propose marriage and why by Georges Brassens. A La Claire Fontaine is a song about love lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0UYHleOGt4
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin »

bene449 wrote: Anjani is not Leonard's girlfriend. He is seeing someone else, but not sure if i can divulge.
I'm sure you could try!!! :)
I think it's probably a blessing for Lorca (in terms of her privacy) that the silly Daily Mail printed Anjani's picture by mistake.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Thanks for that definitive statement, Jarkko.

The National Post, one of the two Canadian national papers (albeit the right-wing one :-)), also named Lorca as the 'surrogate mother' to Rufus' child. You'd think a Canadian newspaper might try to have their info correct on a Canadian icon's family...

Here's to little Viva Katherine's fabulous genes!
victhpooh

Post by victhpooh »

Mazel Tov to grandpa Lenny.
I can't believe the amazing genes this little sweetie inherited. I can't wait for her first gig! (Singing Hallelujah with Gpa and poppa Rufus? wow Are there any pictures?
there is a crack in everything........that's how the light gets in............
lightning

Post by lightning »

Babies are the latest fashion accessory in the gay marriage, but most are adopted, e.g. Elton John's. They prove the couple is entirely normal, like everyone else, and not to be socially ostracized or denigrated.
Cate

Post by Cate »

There’s lots of different types of love, and there’s lots of different types of families. A loved and wanted baby is a beautiful thing and a wonderful gift. All babies should be so lucky as little Viva.

(others have responded better and Lizzy has made a very good point about how this thread really should be focused on congratulations - very true, I'll just leave the end of what I said. )
Last edited by Cate on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Babies are the latest fashion accessory in the gay marriage, but most are adopted, e.g. Elton John's. They prove the couple is entirely normal, like everyone else, and not to be socially ostracized or denigrated.
Irrespective of a child, people who are gay are normal (no one is like anyone else) and not deserving of social ostracization or denigration.
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “News”