Songs From the Road - new live album - Sept 14, 2010

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bridger15

Songs From the Road - new live album - Sept 14, 2010

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2010/07 ... cohen.html
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Preview: Songs From the Road - Leonard Cohen (Live CD/DVD From Current Tour)
Artist: Leonard Cohen
Title: Songs From the Road
Release Date: September 14, 2010
Label: Columbia/Legacy
Format(s): CD/DVD, Blu-Ray, Vinyl
In March of 2008, Leonard Cohen took to the road for a world tour in celebration of his 40 years with Columbia Records and his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The tour continues to this day.

Songs From the Road collects twelve performances of some of Cohen's most iconic songs from across all of those many miles and performances.

It is ultimately Cohen's ageless songs that draw faithful audiences - new fans and old - to his advance sold-out concerts. (The 2008 tour dates sold over 700,000 tickets alone, across 84 shows worldwide.) SONGS FROM THE ROAD represents every decade of his life as a recording artist, from the 1960s ("Suzanne" from his 1967 debut, Songs Of Leonard Cohen; "Bird on the Wire" and his interpretation of "The Partisan" both from his second album, 1969's Songs From a Room) - to the '00s ("That Don't Make it Junk" from 2001's Ten New Songs).

Along the way, SONGS FROM THE ROAD revisits Cohen's 'greatest hits' from the 1970s ("Famous Blue Raincoat" and "Avalanche" both from 1971's Songs Of Love and Hate; "Chelsea Hotel" from 1974's New Skin For the Old Ceremony, and "Lover, Lover, Lover" from the 1979 Field Commander Cohen recordings) - the 1980s ("Hallelujah" and "Heart With No Companion" from 1984's Various Positions) - and the 1990s ("Waiting for the Miracle" and "Closing Time" from 1992's The Future.)
The performances were recorded in Hi-Def and 5.1 Surround Sound and will be available in three separate formats:

•CD/DVD in oversized 2-disc softpack
•Blu-Ray in standard Amray case
•180gm vinyl LP in a gatefold cover
The DVD and Blu-Ray will also have a twenty-minute backstage interview with the various band members conducted by Leonard's daughter, Lorca Cohen.

All of the sets will contain album liner notes by Leon Wieseltier, editor of the New Republic and track-by-track insider's commentary written by Ed Sanders who produced, edited and directed both the CD and DVD versions.

Track List:

The following track list applies to all four formats (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray & Vinyl):

•Lover, Lover, Lover (Ramat Gan Stadium, Tel Aviv, Israel, September 24, 2009)
•Bird On the Wire (Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, Scotland, November 6, 2008)
•Chelsea Hotel (Royal Albert Hall, London, England, November 17, 2008)
•Heart With No Companion (Oberhausen King Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen, Germany, November 2, 2008)
•That Don't Make it Junk (O2 Arena, London, England, November 13, 2008)
•Waiting for the Miracle (HP Pavilion, San Jose, California, November 13, 2009)
•Avalanche (Gothenburg Scandinavium, Gothenburg, Sweden, October 12, 2008)
•Suzanne (MENA Arena, Manchester, England, November 30, 2008)
•The Partisan (Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland, October 10, 2008)
•Famous Blue Raincoat (O2 Arena, London, England, November 13, 2008)
•Hallelujah (Coachella Music Festival, Indio, California, April 17, 2009)
•Closing Time (John Labatt Centre, London, Ontario, May 24, 2009
Note that the O2 Arena performances on this release are from November 2008 and not the July 17, 2008 show that was documented on the Live From London CD & DVD.

Read more: http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2010/07 ... z0tojWnzSd
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Inna

Re: Songs From the Road - World Premiere in Krakow

Post by Inna »

Thank you Arlene for this article. I am so glad that one of my all time favorites is from the concert in Israel! Of course it was after the Yom Kippur War that he created this song.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
Mabeanie1

Re: Songs From the Road - New DVD/CD, BluRay, LP

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thank you for posting the details Arlene. I am very excited about this release as I can say "I was there" at a number of the shows featured. I am particularly pleased that London ON is included as that one is all a bit of a blur since we arrived at Toronto Pearson with only just enough time for a mad dash drive to London and I was very jet-lagged!!

I'm also pleased to see that there is a CD/DVD format so I won't have to invest in BluRay technology just yet ...

Wendy
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

Thanks for the posting. Looking forward to another great recording. Thanks to Leonard - all the band members - and to Ed Sanders. Greatly anticipated.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Wow! How exciting is this! Many thanks to Ed Sanders for the long, laborious hours he spent analyzing all the video, however, I'm sure some of his choices were instinctive "at the moment" selections when he knew instantly that song was the best! Looking forward SO much to the release date!
holydove

Post by holydove »

Arlene, thank you for posting the article - it's really cool to see which songs, from which venues, will be on the DVD - can't wait to see it!!!
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

This is very exciting. I'm really pleased to see that Avalanche is incuded. I believe it's the first time that it's been on a live album.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

SonyBMG published this news on Leonard's official Facebook pages also, one hour ago - they included the front cover!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/leonar ... 0695784012
SONGS FROM THE ROAD SHOWCASES MOST OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM ONGOING WORLD TOUR
Today at 16:34
In 1999, after an extended break from the spotlight, 64-year old Leonard Cohen returned to the recording studio and world stage with a passion. From then until now, his albums, concerts and DVD releases have informed a new generation. At the same time, Cohen has heroically fulfilled the dreams of his first generation of fans that have been following his career at Columbia Records since his debut LP in 1967.

Following the celebration of his 40th year as a Columbia artist in 2007 and coinciding with his induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in March 2008, Cohen thrilled his fans by announcing his first tour dates in 15 years. He’s gone on to play the most prestigious and beautiful venues in virtually every corner of the globe, mesmerizing and charming audiences with performances that were hailed as some of the best of his career. “When legend Cohen takes to the stage,” raved Ireland’s The Independent (June 2008), “it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.”

One dozen of Leonard Cohen’s most famous songs from those recent world tour performances – at auditorium halls, festivals, arenas, and stadiums from Tel Aviv to London, from across Europe to the California desert and his native Canada – are now collected on SONGS FROM THE ROAD. The 12-song program filmed in high def and recorded in 5.1 surround sound will be issued in two separate packages: The DVD+CD package will be an oversized 2-disc softpak, identical to last year’s Leonard Cohen Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970. The Blu-ray will be in a standard amray case. Both will be available at all retail outlets starting September 14th through Columbia/Legacy, a division of SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT. A gatefold, 180 gram vinyl LP of the 12 audio tracks will also be released the same date.

As a bonus, the DVD and Blu-ray configurations will include a 20-minute “behind the scenes” backstage interview with the individual band members. The interviews were conducted by Leonard’s daughter, Lorca Cohen.

The sets also feature two different sets of annotations. One is a rare album liner notes essay written by Leon Wieseltier, literary editor of The New Republic. The other is a detailed track-by-track insider’s commentary written by Ed Sanders, who served as producer of the sound recording and editing, and producer and director of the video recording and editing. “I was there for every rehearsal,” he begins. “I was at every sound check. I was present at every show.”

Sanders’ notes provides precious insight into the selection process for the twelve outstanding performances captured on SONGS FROM THE ROAD. For “Chelsea Hotel” (Royal Albert Hall, London, 11/17/2008), Sanders writes “Between sound check and show time Leonard would often play his guitar in the dressing room. In the early stages of this leg I would find him practicing ‘Chelsea Hotel’. It came as a surprise to everyone (especially those on stage!) when at Rotterdam he launched into it solo after ‘Tower of Song’. He continued to rehearse it with the band until the arrangement was ready. The version presented here is the second full-band performance. At the time I thought it was exceptionally compelling and I told Leonard so during intermission. He replied that he thought it went well; that he could feel the presence of a certain ‘someone’ as he sang it.”

SONGS FROM THE ROAD is not only a tribute to Cohen’s consummate artistry as a concert performer, it is also a tribute to his enduring worldwide popularity at this time in his career. The program complements his 2-disc DVD release of last year, Live In London, recorded on July 17, 2008, at London’s 02 Arena, one of Europe’s largest indoor venues. Live In London marked his first concert collection to be released since the 2001 CD, Field Commander Cohen: Tour of 1979. (Note: The O2 Arena selections on SONGS FROM THE ROAD are from November 2008.)

It is ultimately Cohen’s ageless songs that draw faithful audiences – new fans and old – to his advance sold-out concerts. (The 2008 tour dates sold over 700,000 tickets alone, across 84 shows worldwide.) SONGS FROM THE ROAD represents every decade of his life as a recording artist, from the 1960s (“Suzanne” from his 1967 debut, Songs Of Leonard Cohen; “Bird on the Wire” and his interpretation of “The Partisan” both from his second album, 1969’s Songs From a Room) – to the ’00s (“That Don’t Make it Junk” from 2001’s Ten New Songs).

Along the way, SONGS FROM THE ROAD revisits Cohen’s ‘greatest hits’ from the 1970s (“Famous Blue Raincoat” and “Avalanche” both from 1971’s Songs Of Love and Hate; “Chelsea Hotel” from 1974’s New Skin For the Old Ceremony, and “Lover, Lover, Lover” from the 1979 Field Commander Cohen recordings) – the 1980s (“Hallelujah” and “Heart With No Companion” from 1984’s Various Positions) – and the 1990s (“Waiting for the Miracle” and “Closing Time” from 1992’s The Future.)

“Throughout the show,” Wieseltier concludes in his essay, “it was never clear whose gratitude was greater, Cohen’s or the audience’s. He seemed to find at every stop the sisters of mercy whom he immortalized in one of his oldest and most tender songs…. And now, wherever this precious man wanders, the famous blue raincoat notwithstand¬ing, people sing ‘hallelujah!’ The Psalmist himself could not have asked for more.”

Tracklisting identical for all formats:
1. Lover, Lover, Lover (Ramat Gan Stadium, Tel Aviv, Israel, September 24, 2009)
2. Bird On the Wire (Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, Scotland, November 6, 2008)
3. Chelsea Hotel (Royal Albert Hall, London, England, November 17, 2008)
4. Heart With No Companion (Oberhausen King Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen, Germany, November 2, 2008)
5. That Don’t Make it Junk (O2 Arena, London, England, November 13, 2008)
6. Waiting for the Miracle (HP Pavilion, San Jose, California, November 13, 2009)
7. Avalanche (Gothenburg Scandinavium, Gothenburg, Sweden, October 12, 2008)
8. Suzanne (MENA Arena, Manchester, England, November 30, 2008)
9. The Partisan (Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland, October 10, 2008)
10. Famous Blue Raincoat (O2 Arena, London, England, November 13, 2008)
11. Hallelujah (Coachella Music Festival, Indio, California, April 17, 2009)
12. Closing Time (John Labatt Centre, London, Ontario, May 24, 2009)
Chema

Post by Chema »

This Dvd does not contribute new anything, alone is a money. I do not know the criteria of this selection. But they are all the songs that he has sung in this one " never and recaurdatoring tour ". Though "Suzanne" in Barcelona with the candles was impressive, and I believe that the production will be different between 2008 and 2009. Much better in the last one. I wait for a few unforgettable extras.
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

This piece of news is music to my ears (pun intended!)
Thanks Jarkko for informing us in advance and thanks much Arlene and Tom for finding the detailed articles and sharing them.

I am beyond thrilled not only about this release but also about the fact that a track from the Tel Aviv concert is included (first one?)
Hopefully the vid of "lover lover lover" captured what an amazing concert it was, from first song to last, and would give you all even the slightest sense of the magic, one of a kind atmosphere all reports tried to convey (unfortunately, fans videography wasn't at its best there - Sir Albert, your mastery was surely missed..).

I wish there was an entire album just of the Tel Aviv concert (Management, here's an idea: it would be a bestseller. no doubt...).
You would have been able to feel the magical power of, to name a few, "Bird on Wire" (following the "how goodly" blessing that made us blow off an ivisible roof), Hallelujah" (50 thousand people praying along in a pleading roar and LC thanks them for singing. People that live a few mils a way said they heard it loud and clear at their homes.. ), "Who by Fire" (Javier's solo literally pierced the sky during these holy days, we were covered with goose bumps), the "Priestley Blessing" at the end and I can go on and on....

Also, the cover photo is no less than brilliant (would make a great poster. ahm.. management..)
I wish they gave credit to the photographer on the release.
If it's Lorca Cohen, than yet again, hats off to her great talent.

September 14th can't arrive too soon :-)

Shabbat Shalom,
--Sharon
Last edited by sharon.e on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
dick

Post by dick »

Many thanks Arlene! Glad to see San Jose represented, lots of us were there.

Also bet Lorca excells on the extras!

Anxious to get it.
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Lovely photo for the cover.
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I love, love, love the album cover. :D :D :D

The press release was picked up by Yahoo Finance -
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Leonard-C ... l?x=0&.v=1

and PR NewsWire -
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 99414.html

Linda
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Although Lorca has done stunning photography with her father, I think the cover is by Dominique Isserman. If anyone knows for sure, feel free to correct me....and yes! what a magnificent poster that would make!!!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

The photo is probably by Dominique Issermann, she's tghe official photographer but also, it does look like her b/w style. She directed Dance Me to the End of <love and First We Take Manhattan video clips, and she did most of Leonard's official b&w photos, including the one on More Best Of CD and Stranger Music book and those b&w postcards you can buy on the tour.

Return to “News”