Little known Cohen composition revealed in the Daily Mail

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
rpan

Little known Cohen composition revealed in the Daily Mail

Post by rpan »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... d-Cup.html
Few people realise that the well-known football song 'here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go,' was composed by Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen.
He always intended it to be sung at a gentler, more funereal pace, having originally composed it as the Official Song of the 1978 Montreal World Bowls Championship.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
afanghanel

Re: Little known Cohen composition revealed in the Daily Mail

Post by afanghanel »

lol-ations! thanks for this hilarious and welcome disctraction from thesis writing... now. back. to. work. :cry:
2008: Manchester, London 02, London RAH x 2, 2009: Weybridge, Belgrade, San Jose, 2010: ...
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Perhaps the writer had April 1st in mind... :lol:
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Bizarrely, this has reminded me of a rare unreleased LC record that was mentioned in the Daily Mail in the early Seventies. I seem to remember Virginia Ironside saying that she had gone off of Leonard after hearing a record by him that was not intended for public consumption. I always wondered what she was referring to, but never found out (an early version of "Don't Go Home With Your Hard On"?...something from "Beautiful Losers" set to music?). I have long accepted the fact that I will never have an answer to this mystery. Oh, by the way, I'm not a "Daily Mail" reader...my parents used to read it. Honest!
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

John. Thank Goodness you are not a Daily Mail reader !!
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

John Etherington wrote:Bizarrely, this has reminded me of a rare unreleased LC record that was mentioned in the Daily Mail in the early Seventies. I seem to remember Virginia Ironside saying that she had gone off of Leonard after hearing a record by him that was not intended for public consumption. I always wondered what she was referring to, but never found out (an early version of "Don't Go Home With Your Hard On"?...something from "Beautiful Losers" set to music?). I have long accepted the fact that I will never have an answer to this mystery. Oh, by the way, I'm not a "Daily Mail" reader...my parents used to read it. Honest!
John, it's Songs for Rebecca, the follow-up album to New Skin For the Old Ceremony. It was produced by John Lissauer, who co-wrote some songs, but they abandoned it in mid-1975. But they performed some songs on late 1975 tour in the US (Lissauer was playing in the band), and the mp3s were available for years on greg's website. It's the famous concert in Bryn Mawr, USA, and the audience recording contains early versions of Don't Go Home with Your Hard-On, The Traitor, The Smokey Life (titled I Guess It's Time), Iodine (titled Guerrero), and Came So Far For (Her) Beauty ("her" later dropped).

These songs are still available around, maybe even on DrHGuy's downloads at his blog, and full 2CD Bryn Mawr show is also circulating around.

It was mentioned few times since 2006, here on the Forum, we also had the note from John Lissauer (in his interview with our Dick in occasion of Blue Alert release) that the original tape was destroyed by mistake, because he and LC didn't know how to handle the antique tape when they wanted to listen to it years later. Dick gave a copy of the show to Mr. Lissauer, as there was talk, at the time, about the Leonard Cohen box-set, or the re-releases with the bonus tracks (the logical way would be to include these songs to remasters of New Skin... and Death of a Ladies Man). But the release of next three remasters was stopped by LC.

Btw, the another lost album is the follow-up to Recent Songs - its producer Henry Lewy produced Leonard's reading of Book of Mercy, with strings and background music, somewhere in early 80s. Leonard send message to Forum, via Jarkko, that the recording is in too bad condition to be ever released.

Tom

Return to “News”