Nashville

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
CinCin

Nashville

Post by CinCin »

All this news about Nashville leaves me thinking of the awesome concert there. That was one of the peak experiences in my life. I bought tickets off ticket master long after the presale, when they split up and allowed single VIP tickets. Against all common sense, I bought a ticket and headed for Nashville. When I walked in (with the wonderful folks I'd met at the meet up) I was front row center! In a fairly intimate theatre, not one where there were crowd barriers and the stage was 15 feet in the air. The moment I sat in that seat and looked at the stage where Leonard would be singing ranks right up there with walking up the hill to Stonehenge or my first (and only) scuba dive. Something I'd dreamed of for a lifetime coming true.
Music City Gypsy - are you ok?
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
ladydi

Re: Nashville

Post by ladydi »

Hi Cin-cin,

I'm concerned about Cara also. Sent her a pm but she hasn't viewed it yet. Hopefully she, her family, and her friends all are okay. Hard to comphrend the damage to that lovely city.

What wonderful memories you have of Nashville! That was one concert I will always be sorry I missed. It seems like a long time since San Jose, doesn't it?

Take care,
Diana
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

This is Cara's reply that I received earlier this week after I emailed asking how she and Aaron were doing. I hope she does not mind me posting it.
Arlene- this is a copy of an email I sent to Dick this week - Sorry I've been out of touch, we've been busy! BUT I REALLY AM THANKFUL TO BE ALIVE

sorry about the lack of email, Aaron and I stayed home - we were not damaged at all people down the street have no homes to go to, some just got washed away. My parents were fine, up on a hill in franklin but my cousins in lower franklin down by the Harper lost their house to fire and flood - thankfully they left the night before. I finish this semester of school this Friday and hopeful to back to the boards before i start summer classes...The honkytonks are back open today and things will one day look like they used to. (know you'd be worried about Robert's Western World sweet Arlene!)

It's really shocking, there are so many people who have lost everything - even loved ones. Yesterday after class I walked around just handing out bottled water. The water is going down thankfully and now is when the horrible scenes are being seen and the clean up starts! Luckily everyone is gathering together and helping out, an amazing thing to be seen. Homeless, Rich, Inmates, Lawyers, the young and old - all ages are putting on gloves and helping strangers have a easier time through this thing. Thanks for thinking of us!

a heartbreaking look at someone's view through the storm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwCGz1vSh_M
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm glad to know that at least Cara is okay, though some of her family are far from it :cry: . What starts out as another rainy day ends up as a heartbreak-filled one. The funereal-sounding music is very appropriate to the footage of this tragic situation. Thank you for posting Cara's response to you, Arlene. I'm sure she wouldn't mind, with its being information so relevant to all she's been through.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Arlene, Thank you SO much and I'm sure Cara will not mind you sharing her email with us. Thankfully she and Aaron, and her parents are fine, although it appears that is not the case with other family members and friends.

Having seen some of the national news footage of Nashville I was so impressed on how everyone (literally everyone!) seemed to be pitching in and helping each other, and now Cara's email says the same thing. How wonderful to know that goodness still exists, as we haven't always seen it evident in other disasters.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Arlene,
Thank you from Anne & I also for posting the response from Cara. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the good and kind people in Nashville. We hope that Christian and his family are ok as well.

We had such a wonderful time there and the concert was magnificent! I know the city will rebound.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
holydove

Post by holydove »

I also thought immediately of Cara & Aaron when I heard the news about Nashville (a city which became a beloved city, to me, after attending the concert); so thank you, Arlene, for posting the email; and Cara - it's such a relief to hear that you are okay - know that our thoughts & prayers are with you, your family, your friends, & all the residents of that wonderful city, always. . .
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Cara,

Can't begin to imagine what you went through and are still experiencing. It is such a relief to know that your family came through this whole ordeal safely. I am so sorry for the devastation that this flood caused for your cousins and so many others. Hopefully, their spirit has not suffered greatly and they can now start the process of rebuilding.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dick

Post by dick »

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier....

Thanks Arlene for posting Cara's message. I've also been in touch with Christian, and he assures me he and his family are ok.

Nashville and great folks will stay in our hearts and minds for a long, long time.

Dick and Linda
holydove

Post by holydove »

Dick, thank you so much for sharing the info about Christian - I've been thinking about him alot, & was about to write to him - I'm very relieved that he is okay!! Thank you again. . . (maybe see you Thurs. night at Cornelia St. Cafe?)
dick

Post by dick »

Hope you do come to the cafe Rachel. I've emailed a few people as well, so hopefully they will have an appreciative crowd.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thank you Dick and Linda, for letting us know about Christian. He did not respond to my PM and I was worried about him.

I agree with you about the Nashville concert and the great people we met there. Those few days have an extra special place in my memories.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
silverbar

Post by silverbar »

Hello all -

Thanks for the kind words and concern and my apologies for not posting my status sooner; I've been visiting with my parents down in Florida for the past week and haven't been on the computer much. My family and home are fine after the flood - I live on the water and so was pretty nervous, and the water was closer than it has ever been, but we weathered it without any damage. I think Cara (Hi Cara!) summed up the experience of the flooding and afternath here in Nashville very well. It was simply shocking to see. The city has really pulled together in an amazing way, with thousands of volunteers helping people clean out their homes, offering support, etc.

Thank you again for the kind words and concern.

Best,

Christian
Chicago 2009 : Nashville 2009 : Louisville 2013
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi Christian - thank you for your post - I have very vivid & fond memories of meeting you & your wife in Nashville, & it's really good to hear from you directly, & to know that you, your family & your home have come through safe & unharmed - I think that warrants a "holy" hallelujah! Hope to meet with you again somewhere, someday. . .

Be well,
Rachel
MusicCityGypsy

Post by MusicCityGypsy »

It's been such a long time I feel like I need to introduce myself again. Even though I have been far away from the forum for a long time, you all (and Leonard) have been in my thoughts. I am so thankful that during this rough time that Nashville was in so many of your thoughts, the flood was a really strange experience. I'm so thankful to hear Christian and his family were unharmed as well.

I am excited that Leonard and the band are getting ready to set sail on yet another leg of the ongoing tour and even though Aaron and I won't be able to make it there - it's refreshing to know that many of you will be able to go! Here's to safe travels for those of you going! Miss you all, come on down and visit, Nashville is back open for business. :)

Cara

Return to “News”