Leonard Cohen's childhood home is for sale

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bridger15

Leonard Cohen's childhood home is for sale

Post by bridger15 »

LC twitter home.JPG
Does anyone know if this is legit?
http://www.mcguiganpepin.com/8274590

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Re: Leonard Cohen's childhood home is for sale

Post by ladydi »

Hi Arlene,

Looks legit to me when you go onto the realty site! They are making sure to cash in on Leonard's connection to the house. It's very beautiful and obviously renovated since the 30's and 40's! Sigh...if only I could win the lottery.... :(
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

This isn't the present home he maintains in Montreal, is it? I know he still has one there but this is a previous home, am I right?

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Evie B wrote:This isn't the present home he maintains in Montreal, is it? I know he still has one there but this is a previous home, am I right?

Evie B
That is what I understand also from his CBC interview with Jian Ghomeshi on Q in April, 2009.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugh8Xe6hX7U
LC talks about his kids being brought up for a good part of the time in that current home.
You can see a part of a modestly furnished room in which the interview took place.
And I love his "Thanks for coming over" to Jian. LC is so gracious.

---Arlene

leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

ladydi wrote:Hi Arlene,
They are making sure to cash in on Leonard's connection to the house. It's very beautiful and obviously renovated since the 30's and 40's! Sigh...if only I could win the lottery.... :(
By way of background, you should know Leonard's home was in Westmount, which is and always has been the "high rent" district in Montreal. Only "top of the mountain" is pricier. Personally, I doubt this hype will make it more expensive than market

Although countertuitive, but indicative of the neighborhood, which has only improved, Leonard's family had a chauffeur when his father was alive.

I guess that leaves us out!

Good luck with the lottery!

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

leonardmtl wrote:By way of background, you should know Leonard's home was in Westmount, which is and always has been the "high rent" district in Montreal.
At the top of the realty listing, the description is,
Westmount Cottage
Do you know why it is referred to as a "Cottage"? It looks like a semi-detached solid brick house in a residential area.

---Arlene
(ex-Toronto which has many semi-detached brick houses like that)

ladydi

Post by ladydi »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it..."a semi-detached cottage" for well over a million dollars! Makes me think of a little place in Muskoka or Haliburton...how understated... :roll:
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

bridger15 wrote:
leonardmtl wrote:By way of background, you should know Leonard's home was in Westmount, which is and always has been the "high rent" district in Montreal.
At the top of the realty listing, the description is,
Westmount Cottage
Do you know why it is referred to as a "Cottage"? It looks like a semi-detached solid brick house in a residential area.

---Arlene
(ex-Toronto which has many semi-detached brick houses like that)

You are right, it is semi-detached...not impressive to look at by todays standards, and modest at less than 2200sf, but this area, Lower Westmount, had great appeal because of the proximity to downtown Montreal, local amenities, public schools and the location of a large Jewish population

Leonard from Montreal

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
Rain

Post by Rain »

I just got back from Montreal. I was there on Thursday. I drove up to 599 Belmont and there does, indeed, appear to be a for sale sign in the front yard.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Don't 'ya just love it when Leonard Cohen fans share opportunities! :D
---Arlene
LC twitter open house.JPG

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

In realtors' jargon, "cottage" usually means anything under 3000 sq. ft. in an upscale area, "Cozy" means closet-sized rooms, "up and coming neighborhood" means drug-infested slum, "great potential" means it's a dump etc.
Rain

Post by Rain »

The day after my birthday, not a bad way to turn the big 40!

Here I was on Thursday 04/22. I apologize for my appearance. I was road-weary and there was a slight breeze blowing and it "poofed" up my t-shirt, so I look like I'm 9 months pregnant! The poor guy who owns the house is probably moving because of people like me!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Rain,
I really appreciate the fact that you posted this picture. These almost 'personal in the life of LC' images for me are so few and far between. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Mary
Now if I can just figure out how to make a copy of it
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Rain

Post by Rain »

You're welcome! I just wished I looked better....and thinner! :roll: It looks like Meatloaf had his photo snapped in front of LC's house! :lol: :lol: (No offense to the great Meat Loaf)
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

MaryB wrote:Rain,
I really appreciate the fact that you posted this picture. These almost 'personal in the life of LC' images for me are so few and far between. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Mary
Now if I can just figure out how to make a copy of it
If a Forum Member is in Montreal now, I recommend posting a photo of Leonard's current home, fronting on a very busy and active park. There are videos of this rich scene in the poignant interview with Leonard and a French Canadian poet on the park bench!.....a beautiful place to live.....transitional, multi-cultural, edgy...for people of passion AKA Leonard.

I hope this adds to the personal images you are looking for.......a very different neighborhood than Lower Westmont....

Leonard from Montreal

Return to “News”