THE 2010 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sturgess66

Re: THE 2010 SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME

Post by sturgess66 »

AP article in SF Examiner.com - read the whole article at the link -

http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainment ... 36109.html

An excerpt -
Mayer, a Swift friend and collaborator, presented her with her award, saying "she's no accident."

"You could put her in a time machine in any era and she would have a hit record," he said, adding this about her incredible success: "Don't confuse everybody loving one thing as hype. Sometimes that's everyone agreeing that it's fabulous."

When Cohen was young, he needed a little convincing of that. So the Canadian poet-turned-songwriter presented one of his works to Collins, the singer recalled, and asked her if it was a song. Her response? "It's a song, and I'm recording it tomorrow."

At the induction ceremony, she performed a pitch-perfect "Suzanne" and was then followed by k.d. lang's moving version of Cohen's "Hallelujah."

A soft-spoken Cohen quoted from his enduring song when he accepted his honor, saying, in part, "I'll stand before the lord of song with nothing on my tongue but hallelujah." He received a standing ovation.

It was one of several on the night, which featured powerful performances and touching tributes.
I hope we get video of his whole acceptance speech!
Roy

Post by Roy »

CBC NEWS

Cohen, Simon, Swift honoured at Songwriters gala

Last Updated: Friday, June 18, 2010 | 8:50 AM ET

The Associated Press

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... z0rEwXfCs6

The iconic ballad Bridge Over Troubled Water was so stirring that even a young Paul Simon knew he was onto something special when he composed it 40 years ago.

"I thought, 'Hmm. That's better than I usually write,"' Simon recalled. "I was completely surprised that I wrote it — it was completely unlike anything I had ever done before."

On Thursday, Simon's magical moment — one of several in his long career — was honored by the U.S. Songwriters Hall of Fame in a ceremony that featured Billy Joel, John Mayer, Judy Collins and more while honoring legends including Leonard Cohen as well as wunderkind Taylor Swift.

Swift was not among the inductees into the Songwriters Hall. But the 20-year-old Grammy winner was given the Hal David Starlight Award, which pays tribute to young songwriters with promise.

Mayer, a Swift friend and collaborator, presented her with her award, saying "she's no accident."

"You could put her in a time machine in any era and she would have a hit record," he said, adding this about her incredible success: "Don't confuse everybody loving one thing as hype. Sometimes that's everyone agreeing that it's fabulous."

When Cohen was young, he needed a little convincing of that. So the Canadian poet-turned-songwriter presented one of his works to Collins, the singer recalled, and asked her if it was a song. Her response? "It's a song, and I'm recording it tomorrow."

At the induction ceremony, she performed a pitch-perfect Suzanne and was then followed by k.d. lang's moving version of Cohen's Hallelujah.

A soft-spoken Cohen quoted from his enduring song when he accepted his honor, saying, in part, "I'll stand before the lord of song with nothing on my tongue but hallelujah." He received a standing ovation.

It was one of several on the night, which featured powerful performances and touching tributes.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... z0rEwx0uEO

The other inductees were:

Jackie DeShannon, whose hits include Kim Carnes's Bette Davis Eyes
Reggae great Bob Marley.
Late singer-songwriter Laura Nyro.
Johnny Mandel, creator of the theme for M.A.S.H.
David Foster, the Grammy-winning Canadian producer and songwriter who's worked with top artists ranging from Michael Jackson to Barbra Streisand.
The principal members of the legendary band Earth, Wind & Fire.
The late jazz songwriter Jesse Stone.
The late Sunny Skylar, whose hits included Besame Mucho.
The team of Tom Adair & Matt Dennis, now deceased, who wrote songs such as Everything Happens to Me.
Bridge Over Troubled Water was given the Towering Song Award, while Phil Collins, a previous inductee, was honored with the Johnny Mercer Award.

Producer Phil Ramone received the Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award, and music publisher Keith Mardak received the Abe Olman Publisher Award.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... z0rExALvfU

Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen speaks at the 41st annual U.S. Songwriters Hall of Fame gala in New York Thursday night. (Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images)

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... z0rExM0Qg8
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

Last edited by Roy on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

There's a slightly fuller account of Leonard's speech in this Rolling Stone article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/118596

The photos were the same as some of those already posted by Linda and Roy.

Leonard Cohen, Taylor Swift Join Songwriters Hall of Fame
by Patrick Doyle
A handful of the most gifted musicians of the past 50 years gathered at New York's Marriott Marquis last night as the Songwriters Hall of Fame celebrated its newest honorees, Leonard Cohen, Phil Collins, Earth, Wind and Fire and Taylor Swift. The caliber of talent milling around the reception hall impressed even Paul Shaffer, who told Rolling Stone he was star-struck. "I see people here I never thought I would get to meet. I'm with Earth, Wind and one of the members of the Strangeloves who recorded 'I Want Candy' in the Sixties," he said, adding he was especially looking forward to Leonard Cohen's acceptance speech. "He was the only guy who ever rehearsed for the Letterman show with a glass of red wine."

On the scene at the Songwriters Hall of Fame: check out photos from the all-star ceremony.

Cohen's induction began with a few words from Judy Collins, who sat at a grand piano in a silver gown and explained how Cohen had visited her as an admirer in the late Sixties. "He said, 'I can't sing and I can't play the guitar, and I don't know if this is a song' " before he played her his eerie classic "Suzanne," she recalled. Collins remembered her reply — "I said, 'Leonard, it's a song and I'm recording it tomorrow' " — and reached into her falsetto for a gorgeous version of the track. k.d. lang then belted an earthshaking version of "Hallelujah" that had Steven Van Zandt raving to RS< "That was one of the best performances I've seen in my entire life."

The always-dapper Cohen accepted his honor in a black suit and his trademark fedora. "Thank you friends," he rasped, and said Lang and Collins "brought my songs to life more than I ever could." The poet kept things brief and recited a single verse from "Hallelujah," tipped his hat and exited the stage.

The mood turned acidly humorous as John Mayer arrived to present Taylor Swift with the Hal David Starlight Award for emerging songwriters. Half-joking about how he'd repeatedly asked record biz insiders whether the country-pop songstress actually wrote her own material, Mayer said he didn't believe their answer until the two sat down and Swift did some on-the-spot composing. "Son of a bitch. She was writing her own songs," he marveled.

Swift, decked out in a pink dress, hugged Mayer at the podium and thanked the songwriters who hired her when she was 14. "Songwriting is an escape from the reality when you have to say the right thing at the right time," she said. "A lot of my songs are confessions of love… I'm more likely to say 'I miss you' or 'I love you' in a song rather than a text message, which is why there's always a delay when I tell people how I feel." Swift strapped on her acoustic guitar and played her cheating ballad "White Horse," backed by rich harmonies.

Billy Joel kept the crowd roaring with a hilarious speech honoring legendary producer Phil Ramone. Joel started by reading a Wikipedia-like rundown of Ramone's accomplishments, from producing John F. Kennedy's 45th birthday party to 14 Grammy awards, then laughed, "I didn't write this shit — they gave it to me!" Moving to the piano, Joel began demonstrating how Ramone's production skills had improved his own Seventies and Eighties hits. He told the house band to "play a shitty cha-cha" and started "Just the Way You Are" to indicate how his label wanted the track, then showed off his brilliant final version. Joel also gave Ramone credit for his opus "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant," saying every time he'd finish a section of the song, Ramone would reply, "And then what?" The crowd was nearly rolling out of their chairs when Joel launched into an anecdote about Ramone setting him up with Paul McCartney that included the bizarre punch line, "Paul McCartney's gonna think I'm Jeffery Dahmer!" A teary Ramone thanked the crowd profusely, saying, "Everything I care about is here tonight."

Just a few hours after postponing his summer tour with Art Garfunkel, Paul Simon received the Towering Song Award for his classic "Bridge Over Troubled Water." The singer said he wrote the track in New York when he was 28 after listening to the spiritual "Mary Don't You Weep" and the Everly Brothers album Songs Our Daddy Taught Us. "It all came at once and I thought, 'Jeez that's better than I usually write,' " he recalled. Simon said he composed the song in two verses as "a little hymn," only adding a third when his label prodded him. "I still think it works better as two verses," he laughed. Simon thanked Garfunkel, but took a minor shot at his partner, admitting he prefers Aretha Franklin's version of the track. "Art has a white choir boy voice," Simon said. "Aretha sang it from the black perspective."

Phil Collins, the recipient of the Johnny Mercer Award, said he had a lot to be thankful for: "My kids are stable adults — thanks to their wonderful mothers," he joked, adding the honor made him gratified that he doesn't make "polished BMW music." Collins then took the stage with Earth, Wind and Fire's Philip Bailey for a synth-drenched performance of their 1984 hit "Easy Lover."

David Foster and Johnny Mandel, who created the theme song from M.A.S.H., were also honored, as was Jackie DeShannon, who announced, "You've made a little girl from Hazel, Kentucky very proud" and performed her timeless Sixties R&B hit "Put a Little Love in Your Heart." Earth, Wind and Fire closed out the night with a heartfelt speech and had the crowd, including Leonard Cohen, dancing to their funky classic "September."

Outside the event, Billy Joel told RS it's harder to be a successful songwriter today than when he started his career, but he believes it's a still-vital craft. "I would encourage them not to give up if they're having a hard time getting their stuff programmed on the radio or even recorded by other artists," he said. "It's a lot tougher than when I was starting out, but we need good material. We need good songs."
Roy

Post by Roy »

News

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/1029

Friday, June 18, 2010

Songwriters Hall Of Fame 41st Anniversary Awards Ceremony Celebrates Songwriting Legends

Inductees included Leonard Cohen, Jackie DeShannon, David Foster, Johnny Mandel and Earth, Wind & Fire’s Maurice White, Philip Bailey, Verdine White, Larry Dunn and Al McKay, along with honorees Phil Collins, Taylor Swift, Phil Ramone, Paul Simon, Keith Mardak and this year’s post-humous inductees Tom Adair and Matt Dennis, Bob Marley, Laura Nyro, Sunny Skylar and Jesse Stone.

New York, N.Y.- June 18, 2010- The 2010 Songwriters Hall of Fame 41st Anniversary Awards show was a sparkling success, as SHOF Chairman/CEO Hal David and President Linda Moran recognized and celebrated some of the key songwriting legends of our time. Last night, icons such as Leonard Cohen, Jackie DeShannon, David Foster, Johnny Mandel and Earth, Wind & Fire’s Maurice White, Philip Bailey, Verdine White, Larry Dunn and Al McKay were inducted into the hall of fame. Honored with special awards were Phil Collins who was presented the Johnny Mercer Award; Taylor Swift, who received the Hal David Starlight Award; the legendary Phil Ramone received the Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award; Paul Simon who was presented the Towering Song Award for “Bridge Over Troubled Water;” and Keith Mardak received the Abe Olman Publisher Award. Also honored were posthumous inductees Tom Adair and Matt Dennis, Bob Marley, Laura Nyro, Sunny Skylar and Jesse Stone.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame, year after year, is a night full of remarkable memories with music’s greatest. Some of these not-to-be-missed moments included Judy Collins’ gorgeous solo performance of “Suzanne” followed by kd Lang’s moving rendition of “Hallelujah.” David Foster provided piano accompaniment for the young and incredibly talented Charice for his hit “I Have Nothing.” Phil Collins and Philip Bailey’s duet of “Easy Lover” brought the audience to its feet. Taylor Swift played acoustic guitar to “White Horse” after accepting the Hal David Starlight Award and capping off this memorable night was Earth, Wind & Fire’s performance of “September.”

The Johnny Mercer Award, which is the highest honor from the Songwriters Hall of Fame as only previous inductees can be eligible, was presented to Phil Collins. Best known for his work as drummer and vocalist for the British rock group Genesis and as a solo artist, Phil Collins has created some of popular music’s greatest hits, including “In the Air Tonight,” “Against All Odds” and “Another Day In Paradise,” and such energetic hits as “Sussudio,” “You Can’t Hurry Love” and “Two Hearts.” Phil Collins was presented his award by the wonderful Bruce Hornsby, who performed in his honor.

This year’s Hal David Starlight Award, given to gifted songwriters who are making significant impact in the music industry via their original songs, was presented to Taylor Swift by John Mayer, who previously won this award. Swift accepted the award by thanking those who have supported her since the young age of 14 and explaining that her songwriting capabilities come from her inability to speak her true feelings face-to-face. Swift joked that often people in her life don’t find out she loved them until months after when hearing one of her songs.

The legendary Phil Ramone was this year’s recipient of the Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award, which was presented by the renowned Billy Joel in a hilarious presentation speech at the paino. Joel eliquantly narrated stories about Ramone’s ability to hear the missing element in a song and to make them runaway hits. Ramone is one of music’s well-respected producers with 34 GRAMMY nominations, 14 GRAMMY Awards, an Emmy and numerous awards and honors to his credit. Working with a variety of musicians from country to pop stars, Ramone created some of today’s best hit songs, such as: Billy Joel’s “Tell Her About It,” “Uptown Girl” and “Modern Woman,” “Late In The Evening” (Paul Simon), “Too Late for Goodbyes” (Julian Lennon) and many more. He has worked with many notable artists including Bono, Ray Charles, Natalie Cole, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Quincy Jones, BB King, Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, Madonna, Sting, Bruce Springsteen and James Taylor to name a few.

This year’s Towering Song Award for “Bridge Over Troubled Water” was presented to Paul Simon who wrote the song in 1969 and recorded it in 1970. “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” with a powerful performance by Broadway great Brian Stokes Mitchell last night, was honored as one of the most enduring songs from the past four decades. It won the GRAMMY Award for Record of the Year and Song of the Year in 1971. It also reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on February 28, 1970 and stayed at the top of the charts for six weeks. Following these prestigious awards, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” was re-recorded and performed by many iconic musicians such as Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, Johnny Cash and many more.

Keith Mardak, Chairman/CEO of the Hal Leonard Corporation, was the recipient of the Abe Olman Publisher’s Award. The Hal Leonard Corporation has experienced a dramatic annual expansion since its beginning, especially with the 1985 purchase Mardak headed by an internal management group. The Hal Leonard Corporation currently is the world’s largest music print publisher with a catalog consisting of over 200,000 publications, covering a broad spectrum of printed music. NMPA Chairman Erwin Robinson remarks, “Keith Mardak has long been immensely respected as an innovative publisher, keeping the important tradition and art of printed music alive, while making it sustainable and viable with today’s new technologies.”

At this year’s Songwriters Hall of Fame Awards Gala, Paul Shaffer and Elizabeth Withers remembered songwriters who have passed before us by performing a medley of songs. These legendary songwriters include Tom Adair and Matt Dennis, Bob Marley, Laura Nyro, Sunny Skylar and Jesse Stone.

The 41st Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Awards Gala was truly a spectacular evening with incredible performances to remember to all celebrate outstanding songwriters in the music industry. For those lucky to attend, it was a night one will never forget.

For an example of just some of the key coverage of the event, click on these links:
Rolling Stone
Associated Press

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 8-04-24-05

Jun 18, 8:05 AM EDT

Swift among diverse honorees at Songwriters Hall

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY
AP Music Writer
AP Photo/David Goldman
Watch Related Video

Swift Among Honorees at Songwriters Hall
Advertisement
Buy AP Photo Reprints
Your Questions Answered
Ask AP: Kudzu as biofuel, reporting from Gaza

NEW YORK (AP) -- The iconic ballad "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was so stirring that even a young Paul Simon knew he was onto something special when he composed it 40 years ago.

"I thought, 'Hmm. That's better than I usually write,'" Simon recalled. "I was completely surprised that I wrote it - it was completely unlike anything I had ever done before."

On Thursday, Simon's magical moment - one of several in his long career - was honored by the Songwriters Hall of Fame in a ceremony that featured Billy Joel, John Mayer, Judy Collins and more while honoring legends including Leonard Cohen as well as wunderkind Taylor Swift.

Swift was not among the inductees into the Songwriters Hall. But the 20-year-old Grammy winner was given the Hal David Starlight Award, which pays tribute to young songwriters with promise.

At the induction ceremony, she performed a pitch-perfect "Suzanne" and was then followed by k.d. lang's moving version of Cohen's "Hallelujah."

The other inductees were Jackie DeShannon, whose hits include Kim Carnes' "Bette Davis Eyes"; reggae great Bob Marley; the late singer-songwriter Laura Nyro; Johnny Mandel, creator of the theme for "M.A.S.H."; David Foster, the Grammy-winning producer and songwriter who's worked with top artists ranging from Michael Jackson to Barbra Streisand; the principal members of the legendary band Earth, Wind & Fire; the late jazz songwriter Jesse Stone; the late Sunny Skylar, whose hits included "Besame Mucho"; and the team of Tom Adair & Matt Dennis, now deceased, who wrote songs such as "Everything Happens to Me."

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" was given the Towering Song Award, while Phil Collins, a previous inductee, was honored with the Johnny Mercer Award.

Producer Phil Ramone received the Howie Richmond Hitmaker Award, and music publisher Keith Mardak received the Abe Olman Publisher Award.

---

On the Net:

http://www.songwritershalloffame.com

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

sue7 wrote: Earth, Wind and Fire closed out the night with a heartfelt speech and had the crowd, including Leonard Cohen, dancing to their funky classic "September."

:lol: 8)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by sturgess66 »

mnkyface wrote:
sue7 wrote: Earth, Wind and Fire closed out the night with a heartfelt speech and had the crowd, including Leonard Cohen, dancing to their funky classic "September."

:lol: 8)
Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Haha I sort of skimmed through the non-Leonard parts in the article - and totally missed that little gem. :lol: :lol:
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Thanks for these beautiful pictures Judy and Leonard look almost like twins now. And it is great to see kd looking so well. Is there somewhere we can watch this event online?
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

MORE VIDEO!

A lovely little bit of Leonard moving on the red carpet -
At 1:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocMF3bahRk8
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

I think I've seen Nikki Yanofsky in this video. Don't know what she was doing there though. This young lady is another Montrealer with a big, big talent. Remember this name. http://www.nikkionline.ca/
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

jglBB wrote:I think I've seen Nikki Yanofsky in this video. Don't know what she was doing there though. This young lady is another Montrealer with a big, big talent. Remember this name. http://www.nikkionline.ca/
I don't want to stray too far off the Leonard Cohen focus, so briefly, I would rather forget her name. IMHO Nikki Yanofsky's rendition of O Canada at the Vancouver Olympics was absolutely appalling. You may want to start a separate thread about her in Other Music, but based on that shoddy effort, I would recommend Everything Else.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Roy - I think nos. 5, 6 and 7 are all the same video - just uploaded by different people. All Charice.

There are a couple of glimpses of Leonard at the beginning and at the end of this Reuters video -
http://www.reuters.com/news/video/story ... =104584724

And the video says "Courtesy of Songwriters Hall of Fame." I hope that is not "it" for video from SHOF. In that the ceremonies were not broadcast, I hope that they have taken video.

There is hope - at their website they have video from the 2009 performances - so hopefully they will do the same for 2010 -
http://www.songhall.org/video/event/C36/
Roy

Post by Roy »

UPDATED!

http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.com

Since the 2010 Songwriters Hall of Fame biography for Leonard Cohen was so short, I will only be able to post one photo from the event on the Halls of Fame site. I chose between the following three. I think these are the best photos of Leonard Cohen from the ceremony, not including the photos from the red carpet entrance and the pictures from the cocktails and dinner in the ballroom. The last two I have to pay for online to get them electronically without the company logo on them. In the meantime, I've chosen the first photo. Leonard Cohen without the hat on his head and without Judy Collins and kd lang shown standing behind him.

ImageImageImage
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I am absolutely CERTAIN that I am LITERALLY BURSTING with JOY!!! Seeing these photos and our sweep-you-off-your-feet HANDSOME Leonard Cohen... with everyone so anxious to have their photo taken with him!!! I can't wait to hear the clips/coverage!

Oh... Roy, you have got to be blissed out seeing all these photos and articles, too!!

The award so perfectly fitting for Leonard!!! And perfect Perfect PERFECT that Judy Collins and kd lang were there with him!

My heart is bursting with joy :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”