Leonard to light the Olympic Flame?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
LisaLCFan

Re: Leonard to light the Olympic Flame?

Post by LisaLCFan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:51 am

mutti wrote:I am going to be glued to the television Friday night to catch the opening ceremonies.
Unfortunately CBC is not broadcasting it and in Seattle the only one is NBC. I prefer the Canadian stations as they give a broad view of all the Olympics and not just the Americans...but what to do.
Wouldn't it be amazing if Leonard was there to sing Hallelujah!
I hope if the Canadian Tenors and Celine Dion do it they at least acknowledge its Leonard's song...
I do have to say as I was there for 5 days last week it is very exciting and the energy is very high...
Leslie (Mutti) 8)
CTV will be broadcasting every minute of the Olympics, including the opening ceremony, all online at:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/

So, you don't need Canadian TV, you just need your computer!

Cheers, and enjoy!
Lisa
mutti

Post by mutti » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks I will watch it online...
Leslie ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 am

I guessed months ago about Leonard singing at Opening Ceremonies, in Jarkko's "3 dots" thread. I really hope it happens!

I would be irritated to find out if he was not invited to sing at the Games. If he was invited and he declined because of his injury - fine. But if he was not even asked because he is not "pop" enough or enough of a celebrity....... grrrrrr.

If he can't do it, I REALLY don't want to hear yet another cover of it- especially one involving Celine Dion.

He could also recite a poem...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by sturgess66 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:31 am

Esther - I remembered that you had guessed that Leonard might be appearing at the Olympics.

He should be a most honored invitee - and it would be a most wonderful surprise.

It looks like it is a sure bet that "Hallelujah" will be there.

He could also do "Closing Time" - at the closing ceremonies. They could really do it up big time with flying polka dot blouses. 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:15 am

Closing Time would be wonderful!! And if he did the closing ceremony that gives him a little time to heal (don't the Olympics go 3 weeks?) :)

I guess I would be ok with others singing Hallelujah, if they did a MAJOR acknowledgement of LC as the writer, or if it culminated in Leonard himself lighting the torch - or reciting a poem.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by ladydi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 pm

LisaLCFan wrote: CTV will be broadcasting every minute of the Olympics, including the opening ceremony, all online at:
So, you don't need Canadian TV, you just need your computer!
Cheers, and enjoy!
Lisa
Lisa, thank you SOOO much! Even though I live just across the river from Windsor we can only pick up CBC and not CTV on our cable. I will definitely be watching Friday evening on my computer!
ronnievv

Post by ronnievv » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks to everyone for those much much interesting reads and links. Here's to hope that Leonard really will be there (and that Celine Dion stays miles off Hallelujah - I don't mind her, I just mind her singing this song and changing it into some sugary pop parody :cry: )
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
Quasand

Post by Quasand » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm

No, it's going to be Wayne Gretzky or Terry Fox's mother.
mutti

Post by mutti » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:33 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
CTV will be broadcasting every minute of the Olympics, including the opening ceremony, all online at:
Even though I live just across the river from Windsor we can only pick up CBC and not CTV on our cable. I will definitely be watching Friday evening on my computer!
Thanks Lisa...I too live so close (near Seattle) and we only get CBC not CTV....the local newspapers here were also upset as so many prefer the Canadian broadcasts..
I will tape the NBC but watch it live on the computer Friday.
As I said I was there for 5 days last week and it is really exciting right now and the energy is high...
though my beautiful city (hometown) has become so expensive and will remain so after the Olympics due to all the expenses
but hey its an honour to be hosting the Olympics..
Leslie (Mutti) ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Quasand wrote:No, it's going to be Wayne Gretzky or Terry Fox's mother.
Singing "Hallelujah" ??? :lol: :lol: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

I know, I know - you meant lighting the Olympic flame. Er - didn't you? :lol:
barbarita

Post by barbarita » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:55 pm

I agree with all the enthusiasm for any recognition given Leonard. Nevertheless I need to comment on all the Olympic hype that has escalated through the years...an annual amateur athletic competition that has turned into an entertainment spectacle.

Celine Dion, Oprah, Canadian Four Tenors :roll: (? does every country have to throw out their own version of an original and IMHO hokey idea, apparently so...)...yikes, how more inane could it get? (much more I'm sure) Show biz and not artistry. which is why I have a hard time wrapping my mind around Leonard's being part of The Olympic Show.

I grew up watching the Olympics with my father, who was a US National gymnastics champion. Every year he would get an appeal from the Olympic Committee to donate; there came a point where he stopped doing so, out of disgust for what the event had turned into. He did watch some of the competition, but this entailed wading through all the razzle dazzle.

All that being said, I hope that if Leonard does go that he enjoys himself!

My apologies to all the Canadians out there, but I'd have the same feelings no matter where the Olympics would be staged.

Barbarita.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:47 pm

sturgess66 wrote:He could also do "Closing Time" - at the closing ceremonies. They could really do it up big time with flying polka dot blouses. 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
Thank you so much for that suggestion!! I've had one of THOSE days at work and I really needed cheering up. I now have a vivid picture in my mind of a closing ceremony like no other before or since ....

Wendy
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 pm

I think Leonard direct participation in OH, the great honor :D . Leonard rightly belongs. But, what Leonard spine? I imagine the delight of fans to see him there. I hope that Slovakia will be aired on television at least record the Olympics start.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:53 am

From NowPublic.com -
http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/vancouv ... 73613.html
Vancouver 2010 Olympic Opening Ceremonies: Leaks and Speculation

by Jordan Yerman | February 11, 2010 at 09:17 am

No matter how tightly VANOC tries to control the public, it's inevitable that details from the top-secret Opening Ceremonies rehearsals will leak.

Generally, those invited have been keeping the Vancouver 2010 Opening Ceremonies a secret because it's fun to be in on something that others aren't, as evidenced by everyone I spoke to last night in Yaletown, who had just come from the final rehearsal. They were just loving it that the rest of us didn't know what was going to happen. Not everyone, though, was so impressed.

However, I was able to ascertain that the Opening Ceremonies will not involve choreographed ice-dancing moose, beavers, raccoons, purse-sized dogs, or any other wildlife that symbolizes Vancouver.

Expect some sort of polar bear, though, since this is Canada, and Coca-Cola is a major sponsor.

The biggest secret of all is who will light the Olympic Torch. This element was not publicly rehearsed, because VANOC knows about Twitter, and there's no way that the public would keep that a secret. I'm guessing it'll be Wayne Gretzky. I'm also hoping for a suprise Leonard Cohen appearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcVpAbhqsj8
Vancouver 2010 Olympics Games Torch Torch Relay!!!!!

We know that a performer was injured during an early rehearsal which involved a ski jump, and that our First Nations community will play a large role in the Opening Ceremonies, despite the divides taht characterize our day-to-day reality. This is, after all, a show- and the biggest live TV production in Canadian History. Some of the performers couldn't resist telling the world about their participation, though, which is understandable. We know that Bryan Adams, Sarah McLachlan and Nelly Furtado will be appearing, too.

Any spectator seen taking a photo was hauled out to the aisle like a grade-schooler and told to delete it while security overlooked.
Source: vancouverobserver.com
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:14 am

Last edited by burningviolin on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."

Return to “News”