Leonard to light the Olympic Flame?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
ronnievv

Leonard to light the Olympic Flame?

Post by ronnievv » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:40 pm

One of the biggest Czech news servers have published today a big article speculating about who will light Olympic Flame in Vancouver, and among favorites they named our Leonard. :shock: Does any of our "insiders" know something more about it? Or was that pure speculation on their part?
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
mutti

Re: Leonard to light the Olympic Flame?

Post by mutti » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:48 pm

-I just spent a week in Vancouver visiting family and did not hear anything!
That would be great if he did light the Olympic Flame
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 pm

lighting the flame with his hurt back??? ;-)
remote1

Post by remote1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 am

If Muhammad Ali did it with Parkinson's disease, I'm sure Leonard Cohen can do it with a compressed back! ;-)
Perhaps.
"We are so lightly here"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:56 am

Just speculation I think - it has been a guessing game for months. But I saw this Reuters article yesterday - throwing out 7 different names and Leonard is one -

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/6783 ... pic-flame/
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 am

Secrets of the opening ceremonies

Text By Jeff Nagel - New Westminster News Leader
Published: February 10, 2010 1:00 PM

Friday night’s Olympic opening ceremonies will be spectacular and very Canadian, say observers who witnessed the dress rehearsal Monday night.

A piano-playing Sarah McLachlan will have a starring role. But aboriginal performances will dominate the night.

“They’re fantastic—I would say half of it is aboriginal,” one spectator from Surrey told Black Press. “There are fantastic costumes and dancing.”

Aerial acrobatics, some including skiers or snowboarders, will add to the wow factor.

“It’s really good,” said the observer, who was reluctant to tell all about the two-and-a-half-hour show but described some elements as thought-provoking.

“It’s almost a Cirque du Soleil feel to some of it.”

Audience members will be part of the performance, using torches at certain times.

A large centre installation will be able to transform into several different configurations, at times depicting oceans, forest and mountain vistas. The stadium’s interior will be ringed with flags and lights, projecting colours onto the floor.

Other special touches include falling snow and maple leaves to reflect changing seasons.

Not all the performers were there in person—there were some lip-synching stand-ins, including a performance of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.”

Another observer said Montreal songstress Nikki Yanofsky sang the opening anthem.

The ceremonies will begin with the lengthy arrival of athletes from every competing country—with Team Canada entering the stadium last.

All will be revealed to the world starting at 6 p.m. Friday.

jnagel@blackpress.ca
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks MarieM!! It looks like Leonard's magnificent song will be at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics - and who will be singing it? :?: :?: :?:

I'll just keep saying this - :D :lol:

Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah" should receive the Grammy Hall of Fame Award. IMHO :D

The GRAMMY Hall Of Fame Award was established by The Recording Academy's National Trustees in 1973 to honor recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance that are at least 25 years old. Inductees are selected annually by a special member committee of eminent and knowledgeable professionals from all branches of the recording arts.

http://www2.grammy.com/Recording_Academ ... l_Of_Fame/
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:12 am

I think this could be the answer - someone was able to sneak a video onto YouTube - in French - I suspect it may get taken down -

From Oprah's broadcast today - the Canadian Tenors with Celine Dion - and Oprah confirms that they will be performing at the Olympics.

Leonard Cohen's magnificent "Hallelujah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qzo0qV2Oc
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:54 am

Reading the title of this thread put a strange image in my head, remember the guy in Beijing suspended up over the stadium and 'running' around it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRdurgadsM

Though, seeing as he has an 'sports injury' and has to rest up like an athlete would, LC qualifies to light the torch :razz: at the moment! :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BV, you just created the most wonderfully funny image in my mind! Leonard suspended in space and skipping airborne around the stadium to the choruses of Hallelujah! But somehow I think we will see something a little more prosaic.

Would Celine Dion sing Hallelujah? No... If anyone sings it at the opening ceremonies it MUST be Leonard, as he is the only one who truly does it justice. The words and emotions are his.

Olympic Flame....I'll go with the aboriginal athlete!

Yea Canada! Yea Vancouver!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 am

Well it would be beyond wonderful if Leonard Cohen sings "Hallelujah" at the Olympics. :D :D :D

But - it might be Celine Dion. Or the Canadian Tenors. Or maybe Celine and the Tenors.
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 am

sturgess66 wrote:I think this could be the answer - someone was able to sneak a video onto YouTube - in French - I suspect it may get taken down -

From Oprah's broadcast today - the Canadian Tenors with Celine Dion - and Oprah confirms that they will be performing at the Olympics.

Leonard Cohen's magnificent "Hallelujah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qzo0qV2Oc
Very interesting. I still think it should be Leonard...perhaps Celine could sing backup ;-)

btw...how could I have missed these guys! They are very nice. Oh yes, great voices too!
mutti

Post by mutti » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:19 am

I am going to be glued to the television Friday night to catch the opening ceremonies.
Unfortunately CBC is not broadcasting it and in Seattle the only one is NBC. I prefer the Canadian stations as they give a broad view of all the Olympics and not just the Americans...but what to do.
Wouldn't it be amazing if Leonard was there to sing Hallelujah!
I hope if the Canadian Tenors and Celine Dion do it they at least acknowledge its Leonard's song...
I do have to say as I was there for 5 days last week it is very exciting and the energy is very high...
Leslie (Mutti) 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:12 am

mutti wrote:I am going to be glued to the television Friday night to catch the opening ceremonies.
Unfortunately CBC is not broadcasting it and in Seattle the only one is NBC. I prefer the Canadian stations as they give a broad view of all the Olympics and not just the Americans...but what to do.

Leslie (Mutti) 8)
The Canadian network CTV is broadcasting the Olympics including live cam of the torch relay.
Here is the CTV schedule for Vancouver.

http://shows.ctv.ca/Schedule.aspx?localstation=CIVT

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 am

Here's an article from the CandianPress with lots of name-dropping about who will/might appear -
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... 27OB_UJusw
McLachlan, Bryan Adams, Rush among artists expected at opening ceremonies

By Nick Patch (CP) – 4 hours ago

VANCOUVER, B.C. — In an age where news travels as fast as a sled hurtling down a skeleton track, the sustained secrecy surrounding Friday's opening ceremonies at the Vancouver Games is an Olympic feat in of itself.

Only in the past few days have small amounts of information dribbled out as Twitter-happy fans have leaked rehearsal information.

Recent reports indicate that Bryan Adams and Sarah McLachlan have been spotted rehearsing for the show.

Meanwhile, Rush and 16-year-old Montreal jazz singer Nikki Yanofsky also seem to be involved. A publicist for the veteran Toronto rock trio and Yanofsky herself both responded to questions from The Canadian Press with no-comments, citing non-disclosure agreements.

"NDA, non-disclosure, we're not allowed to say anything," Yanofsky said when asked if she would perform.

But beyond those nuggets of information, the Olympics' opening festivities have been relatively leak-proof, leaving eager viewers to work on educated guesses at which artists might be present for the Games' commencement.

So, whom might viewers look forward to seeing on Friday evening?

Michael Buble, for one, seems a logical choice to join local favourites McLachlan and Adams. Fresh off his second Grammy win, Buble is an avowed sports fan who will be in town anyway to provide colour commentary on hockey games for Australian TV and to participate in one of the final legs of the torch relay.

And like Adams, the crooner is associated with manager Bruce Allen, the Canadian impresario who is serving as VANOC's headline talent producer for the opening and closing ceremonies.

McLachlan's involvement, meanwhile, shouldn't come as a shock. The singer recorded NBC's Olympic theme, "One Dream," and is based in Vancouver.

Similarly, Celine Dion would seem a logical choice.

The 41-year-old chanteuse from Charlemagne, Que., boasts a massive international following and already has an Olympic performance on her resume after singing "The Power of the Dream" at the 1996 Games in Atlanta.

Dion, who just last month performed a stirring tribute to Michael Jackson at the Grammys, is also on the verge of releasing her documentary-concert film, "Celine: Through the Eyes of the World," so the timing makes sense.

Further, Dion appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on Wednesday to perform a version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" with the Canadian Tenors. Interestingly, some of those rebellious rehearsal tweeters claimed to have heard the backing track to the classic tune blaring through the speakers at the opening ceremonies run-through, prompting speculation that Dion might appear to sing the song.

But, of course, she isn't the only megawatt Canadian pop star that viewers hope is included.

A People Magazine web poll recently asked readers which of five Canadian pop stars they wanted to see perform at the opening ceremonies, pitting Dion against Shania Twain, Avril Lavigne, Nelly Furtado and Alanis Morissette.

The result? A stunning 62 per cent of users voted for Twain, with Lavigne finishing second with 28 per cent, Dion third with seven per cent and Morissette and Furtado each receiving a paltry two per cent of votes.

Twain has resurfaced lately after willingly receding from the limelight over the past few years. She appeared as a judge on "American Idol," carried the Olympic torch through her hometown of Timmins, Ont., and has blogged about her ongoing development of a follow-up album to 2002's "Up."

Though none of those appearances required any singing, Internet fans are hopeful that Twain will take to the microphone at the Olympics.

"Shania Twain must be the one to perform!" said one enthusiastic follower below the People poll.

In fact, if the Internet is in part to blame for leaking out news about the opening ceremonies, it's also the setting for a multitude of impassioned arguments about the potential lineup of Canadian performers.

On Facebook, users have fought back and forth over the relative merits of a cluster of recognizable Canadian names - including Stompin' Tom Connors, Neil Young, Sam Roberts and the Barenaked Ladies - in a series of discussion threads.

"I personally hope that Stompin' Tom will be there," wrote a user named Richard on Facebook. "If anything says Canada (it's) Stompin' Tom and the Hockey Song."

"There's no doubt that Rush, Bryan Adams and (Nickelback) MUST be part of the Opening Ceremonies," added a poster named Silvie. "They represent Canadian Rock from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s."

Another poster, nicknamed Vanore, agreed: "I'm pretty sure (Nickelback) will be there. And it doesn't matter what song they play, since all their songs sound exactly the same."

-With files from Canadian Press reporter Victoria Ahearn in Toronto.

Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Return to “News”