LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Alan Alda

Re: LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

Post by Alan Alda »

Heh. I've met that guy (Ken Sunshine). He used to be around when Bocelli was touring. I never quite knew exactly 'what' he did till I saw him on tv a few years ago with eminem and they described 'what' he did in the context of the story...my jaw dropped...that is some big guns for Leonard...but I digress...

Someone was asked about the length of time of recovery for a 'compression' problem and thought it seemed a long time for something that sounds so benign. As someone who has suffered from this problem I can say the matter of "months" is no exaggeration. It is not a simple, have the chiropractor crunch bones back into place. It is a soft-tissue problem. Any bit of swelling, and that swelling is set off by breathing at times, it seems, results in excrutiating pain that also winds its way down to your hips, so even walking can be problematic. I ended up cancelling a trip to Europe myself because this problem lasted so much longer than I could have ever imagined. I just want to try and put the problem into perspective. It's not about Me.

Hope Leonard is feeling well and resting. One step forward and two steps back if you over do it.

regards,
Laurie
I simply cannot see where there is to get to. Plath
Even despots have access to 'Welcome' mats. Me
Desperation is easily confused with enthusiasm. Me
steff oates

Post by steff oates »

Thanks, Marie and Robert for letting us know.

Steff
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Much appreciation to Marie and all involved for giving us information before the general public.

My sympathies to all who booked nonrefundable travel arrangements.

Back pain is relentless and a 'pain in the butt'. Having had lower back pain which finally resulted in back surgery (with a favorable result but a longer recuperation time), I am wishing LC a positive outcome through physical therapy.

Best regards,
Mary

(P.S. I sure what like to know what the specific exercise was that caused the injury so that I can avoid it :roll: )
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ronnievv

Post by ronnievv »

Alan Alda wrote:

Someone was asked about the length of time of recovery for a 'compression' problem and thought it seemed a long time for something that sounds so benign. As someone who has suffered from this problem I can say the matter of "months" is no exaggeration. It is not a simple, have the chiropractor crunch bones back into place. It is a soft-tissue problem. Any bit of swelling, and that swelling is set off by breathing at times, it seems, results in excrutiating pain that also winds its way down to your hips, so even walking can be problematic.
Hope Leonard is feeling well and resting. One step forward and two steps back if you over do it.

regards,
Laurie
Oh yes, I wouldn't describe it better - that's what I'm going through (maybe some mystical connection with LC??? :lol: :lol: :lol: ), and though I'm much better now, after some two months (seems like forever), I am VERY careful with every movement. And my case was quite mild. So I'm glad that Leonard really gives himself the time to recover - we all want him to be well!
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
Kenadian

LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

Post by Kenadian »

The rescheduled dates below will be amended shortly to reflect all thirteen rescheduled dates
Sept. 15 CAEN ZENITH
Sept. 17 GRENOBLE PALAIS DES SPORTS
Sept. 19 STRASBOURG ZENITH
Sept. 21 MARSEILLE LE DOME
Sept. 23 TOURS PARC DES EXPOSITIONS
Sept. 25 LILLE ZENITH GRAND PALAIS
Oct. 04 KATOWICE SPODEK
Oct. 07 MOSCOW KREMLIN PALACE
Oct. 13 BRATISLAVA SIBAMAC ARENA

Thirteen rescheduled dates??? Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.
ascoli

Post by ascoli »

Thanks to Jarkko and Marie for all you do.
Get well Leonard.
Would love to see you 'at home' again in.........Montreal
"I'm greedy that way"
MEB

Post by MEB »

MaryB wrote:
(P.S. I sure what like to know what the specific exercise was that caused the injury so that I can avoid it :roll: )
Perhaps from bending over backwards? :D
Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been a whole new thread full of suggestions as to how Leonard hurt his back. Whatever caused it I wish him a speeding recovery.
Toronto June 6th 2008, Vienna Sept. 24 & 25 2008, NYC May 16th & 17th 2009, Dublin July 23rd 2009, Belfast July 26th 2009...
tomsakic

Re: "amended shortly to reflect all thirteen rescheduled dates"

Post by tomsakic »

Thirteen rescheduled dates??? Am I missing something?

Yep. There was also Zagreb Arena (Croatia) announced for March 15, with 10,000 seats almost sold out. I will not mention that first 4 rows were bought by the Forum members trhu special offer made by AEG Live (instead of pre-sale)... I am supposed to be sitting in front of Leonard's shoelaces!

Today afternoon the promotor announced they're expecting new date in 3-4 days. Another 3 shows are obviously also about to be announced.
Darling

Post by Darling »

Thank you for keeping us informed. As everybody, I'm relieved that it's something he will recover from. I'm sorry for all the people who had made travel plans though and I hope you can change them and make it to the rescheduled concerts.
ladydi wrote:Thank you, thank you, Marie....Jarkko...Robert....and Leonard!
I knew this was coming but I am so thankful for the information!!! lol...how many 75 year old men have "sports-related-injuries"? er, what "sports" my dear? :D
:lol:
MarieM wrote:
Does he need a masseuse? ;-)
Damn, I knew I forgot something. I was supposed to post a sign up list. :lol:
Sign me in, I can take the night shift if you want... ;-)
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

Darling wrote: MarieM wrote:
Does he need a masseuse?
Damn, I knew I forgot something. I was supposed to post a sign up list.
Sign me in, I can take the night shift if you want...
Sing also me in, I`m available whenever he needs! ;-)
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
afanghanel

Post by afanghanel »

Darling wrote:Thank you for keeping us informed. As everybody, I'm relieved that it's something he will recover from. I'm sorry for all the people who had made travel plans though and I hope you can change them and make it to the rescheduled concerts.
I knew this was coming but I am so thankful for the information!!! lol...how many 75 year old men have "sports-related-injuries"? er, what "sports" my dear? :D
:lol:
MarieM wrote:
Does he need a masseuse? ;-)
Damn, I knew I forgot something. I was supposed to post a sign up list. :lol:
Sign me in, I can take the night shift if you want... ;-)
and sign me up too as an adept masseuse and general bolsterer of the spirits. I too am so tempted by marseille if I can get good seats, though I said San Jose would be my last and it might cost me a husband! What to do?!

Also, jarkko, does this now mean that the 2010 tour may well spill over to 2011 if it is truly to circumnavigate the globe? Or are there no forseeable additions for now? (i know! I ask too much!)

Wishing Leonard a speedy and serene convalescence...

Alex
2008: Manchester, London 02, London RAH x 2, 2009: Weybridge, Belgrade, San Jose, 2010: ...
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

sturgess66 wrote: And - regarding snow - I'd just like to say that in some places here in Philly this morning - the drifts are as high as an elephant's eye!! :lol: A bit of an exaggeration - but you get my drift? :lol: :lol: And it's still coming down - at a rate of 2 inches per hour!
See, real winters have sadly become rare here.. We're so used to dealing with heat waves...
Comes big chills - in most of the country our houses are built to dissipate heat, not store it, and practically no one has snow tires, so snow meant closed schools and days off from work...
Philly kinda snow would have probably shut half the country down... :shock: :lol: :shock: ...
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
sallyp

Post by sallyp »

Leonard, please take care of yourself! We love you and only want you to be healthy and happy! lol...this gives me time to pay off a "few" credit cards from 2009 and I am set on "go" for September!!!

Thank you again, Marie!
And so say all of us. Yep, my initial thoughts were exactly the same - I just hope I'm fit enough to have a sports related injury when I'm that old!! :)
SallyP

Weybridge 2010
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

I just added a note a from Robert Kory to the original announcement (the first post in this thread). It is also in the World Tour 2010 section.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Dear Leonard,
You are so due a retreat from your tour .... all good things for precious time to relax and recouperate and be loved.
Just keep breathing. We'll all sing to you anytime.
ps count me in for a masseuse shift,
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.

Return to “News”