LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
osmachar

Re: LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

Post by osmachar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Oh my, a back injury. Hope LC will be okay soon!

I'm glad though, that we finally know what's happening.
Ingrid

Post by Ingrid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Hope you get well soon Leonard, I know what it it feels like. Take good care of yourself, and we'll be there in Lille on sep 25. :roll:
Susy

Post by Susy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Hello jgIBB

Thank you for posting :)

A beautiful combination of THIS song and Artwork.
I love the artwork by G. Klimt.

It`s monday and I`m also still in Sunday mood ;-)

..... for something like a second.....

Greetings Susanne
Susy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:45 pm

mnkyface wrote:In this 2008 interview, Leonard speaks mysteriously of a "half-assed" exercise routine that he tries to "go to." I've always wondered about it. Maybe he injured himself doing that. Or by missing it too many times, and then trying to do too much at once. (I know how that goes.)

Maybe it is yoga. We've all seen him in the Lotus pose.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2008/06/12/cohe ... ylan-show/

I love this interview!!
Thanks for the link to that article Esther. I know I read it some time ago - but reading it again, a lot of things Leonard says become even more meaningful. An example - I went to see Bob Dylan in November - "just because" - he is a legend - and he was "passing through" Philly. And people asked me about the concert and I struggled somewhat to explain. But what Leonard says in this interview sums it up to perfection. Bob Dylan having a "secret code" with his audience.
As Sharon Robinson said, Bob Dylan has a secret code with his audience. If someone came from the moon and watched it they might wonder what was going on. In this particular case he had his back to one half of the audience and was playing the organ, beautifully I might say, and just running through the songs. Some were hard to recognize. But nobody cared. That’s not what they were there for and not what I was there for. Something else was going on, which was a celebration of some kind of genius that is so apparent and so clear and has touched people so deeply that all they need is some kind of symbolic unfolding of the event. It doesn’t have to be the songs. All it has to be is: remember that song and what it did to you. It’s a very strange event.
This was all so true! Some of the songs I couldn't recognize - it didn't matter. :D His back to half the audience (I was in that half that saw his back) - it didn't matter! There was something else going on.

And then Leonard follows up regarding his audience experience -
As I said in the concert, this is every musician’s dream, to stand in front of an audience and not have to prove your credentials, to come into that warmth. Of course, it creates other anxieties, because you really want to deliver. There’s a lot to live up to. But it is quite a rare thing.
A delightful interview - Love this - about Roscoe Beck "He copped my chop ..."; :lol: and this - "I only drank professionally, I never drank after the concert. I would never drink after intermission."

I know the point here is that he mentions his imperfect exercise regime - but at the end of the interview he mentions Roshi "But I was drinking a tumbler of cognac like it was water. He hit my thigh very hard and said, 'Body important.' [laughs]." Maybe that blow from Roshi was an initial jar sufficient to throw out the alignment in his back and it then developed further when he exercised, into a recurring injury - replete with a reminder to take care of his body! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LCsitstill.JPG
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 pm

today's guardian newspaper......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/fe ... opean-tour

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:47 pm

sturgess66 wrote: I know the point here is that he mentions his imperfect exercise regime - but at the end of the interview he mentions Roshi "But I was drinking a tumbler of cognac like it was water. He hit my thigh very hard and said, 'Body important.' [laughs]." Maybe that blow from Roshi was an initial jar sufficient to throw out the alignment in his back and it then developed further when he exercised, into a recurring injury - replete with a reminder to take care of his body! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That, or maybe another whack from Roshi might just realign his back ;-) .

I loved the part about "Suzanne" being a doorway of sorts.
Will... If It Be Your Will
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 am

Looks like another July visit to Ireland was being planned

http://www.tribune.ie/news/internationa ... to-injury/
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

The Independent reports ... "four more dates to be announced later"

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 92008.html
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 pm

I am terribly sorry to hear about Leonard's injury. :(

However I wish reiterate what I have said some time ago. I think it's almost inhuman (or greedy) on our parts to even want or wish that Leonard, at his age, perform on a stage. Think of it this way: Some of you are over 60, like me, and think about the time we would quit our jobs and simply sit back and enjoy life as much as we possibly can. In the case of Leonard well, he was swindled and so he had to ....simply go back to work.

Well I don't know about you guys but I think we should simply allow Leonard to live his life now with family, friends, fool around a bit, take life easy, take walks in the park, or maybe even go back to that mountain retreat and joke around with his 114 year old master. If he was your father, for example, wouldn't you want him to take life easy and sit back on his armchair, whistling the tunes of So long Marianne and Suzanne?

Yes, I love this man very dearly. And I wish him the above mentioned. It's not fair, you know.

:?
faithfully

Ohhh nooooooooooo!!!!

Post by faithfully » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Oh nooo!!!

We have to wait more than half a year now? Oh noooo...!!!

I will go to the Strassburg gig. That was planned for March 5th. And now waiting more than half an hour - oh nooo!!!

So I will add the Marseille gig, too - besides on his birthday ;-) Guess Leonard likes to perform on his birthdays...like last year ;-)

Maybe he will do a concert at the AVO Session Festival in Basel as he tours in autumn only...and that takes place in October-November. http://www.avo.ch
Let's hope! ;-)
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:52 pm

seadove wrote:
However I wish reiterate what I have said some time ago. I think it's almost inhuman (or greedy) on our parts to even want or wish that Leonard, at his age, perform on a stage. Think of it this way: Some of you are over 60, like me, and think about the time we would quit our jobs and simply sit back and enjoy life as much as we possibly can. In the case of Leonard well, he was swindled and so he had to ....simply go back to work.

Well I don't know about you guys but I think we should simply allow Leonard to live his life now with family, friends, fool around a bit, take life easy, take walks in the park, or maybe even go back to that mountain retreat and joke around with his 114 year old master. If he was your father, for example, wouldn't you want him to take life easy and sit back on his armchair, whistling the tunes of So long Marianne and Suzanne?

Yes, I love this man very dearly. And I wish him the above mentioned. It's not fair, you know.
This argument is wrong.

Leonard will have made more money than 99.9% of us would hope to make in a lifetime over the last couple of years, and certainly more than enough to live comfortably on for the rest of his life. The fact that he is continually announcing more and more shows, and is working on a new album, when he doesn't have to for financial reasons, is more than enough evidence to say that he is continuing to play shows and write music because he is enjoying doing so.

Who are we to say whether Leonard should continue playing live or not? He is a wise man, and surely able to make his own decisions about the lifestyle he leads. If he wanted to take it easy and call it quits as far as touring is concerned, rest assured, that is exactly what he would be doing.
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:03 pm

He is performing on and on because of the larger than life demand that he has for his songs from us folks. Yes he will eventually decide what's good for him but I wish him that he may enjoy his elderly life like all the other elderlies that I know.
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 pm

seadove wrote: He is performing on and on because of the larger than life demand that he has for his songs from us folks. Yes he will eventually decide what's good for him but I wish him that he may enjoy his elderly life like all the other elderlies that I know.
So he is continuing to tour because we (the general public) want him to, and not because he actually wants to himself?

Have you considered that maybe Leonard likes touring and the public's reception is merely one of many factors that contribute to his desire to keep doing so?

As far as "he will eventually decide what's good for him" goes - what gives you the authority to decide what's good for him or not? How do you know he would not be miserable sitting at home and taking it easy "like all the other elderlies" you know after having experienced the highs of the last couple of years?

He is obviously having a great time at the moment and doing what he enjoys, so maybe it would be best not to try and wrap him up in a ball of cotton wool and tell him what is or isn't best for him, and let him get on with it.
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:28 pm

danslenoir wrote:
seadove wrote: He is performing on and on because of the larger than life demand that he has for his songs from us folks. Yes he will eventually decide what's good for him but I wish him that he may enjoy his elderly life like all the other elderlies that I know.
So he is continuing to tour because we (the general public) want him to, and not because he actually wants to himself?

Have you considered that maybe Leonard likes touring and the public's reception is merely one of many factors that contribute to his desire to keep doing so?

As far as "he will eventually decide what's good for him" goes - what gives you the authority to decide what's good for him or not? How do you know he would not be miserable sitting at home and taking it easy "like all the other elderlies" you know after having experienced the highs of the last couple of years?

He is obviously having a great time at the moment and doing what he enjoys, so maybe it would be best not to try and wrap him up in a ball of cotton wool and tell him what is or isn't best for him, and let him get on with it.

Yes I believe so. He does not actually want to.

That is the general wishful thinking of us folks. It is a fact that he hiked up that mountain so as to lead a "differant" and "quiet" life. It is a fact that when he discovered he was swindled he had no choice but to go back performing so as to make a few bucks, being that he was ramshakled through and through.

No! I don't believe that he "likes" to perform. When he fainted in Valencia that was indication enough of his physical strength draining off. But no! We are to greedy. We shoved him back on the stage and asked him to keep going.

I have no authority of whatever nature to "decide" anything. This is a message board and I am voicing my opinion loudly, just like you are, Sir.
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 pm

What kind of a discussion is this?

Singers do tours for a variety of reasons - eg money, they owe it to their fans and maybe they even enjoy the job and the applause. Where's the problem?

Return to “News”