LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Judith511

Re: LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

Post by Judith511 »

Leonard I am glad you are looking after yourself. Get well soon and yes re some previous posts you are still sexy. :)
Waterloo January 30 1975 , Hamilton June 3 2008, Toronto June 9 2008,
Cleveland October 25 2009 ,Toronto December 4th 2012
sallyp

Post by sallyp »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Diana - thank you for your post. I hadn't looked at this thread for a day or so and I cannot believe it's twisted around to "Leonard's hurt himself and it's our fault for expecting too much of him"! I have absolutely no doubt that, if Leonard had had enough of touring, he would have ended it at the end of that particular phase of the tour. Remember he has "history" - he jacked in the 1993-4 tour because he'd had enough. I feel sure he would do the same now if he wanted to, the only difference these days being that he would, I'm certain, honour any commitments he'd already given. Your response is spot on: he's touring now because he is REALLY enjoying it.

As for "He is still a vibrant, alive, somewhat sexy, older man ..." - it was about 5 years ago now that I told a work colleague about half my age that Leonard Cohen was the one older man I would go for. Nothing's changed on that score!

Wendy
Yes, I have had similiar conversations at work with the young people who just don't get it! Perhaps they should read some of his lyrics - anyone who can write like that is definitely extremely sexy!!
SallyP

Weybridge 2010
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

His teacher was able to dink a glass and still go beyond the 100 mark long live Leonard this is only a small set back. leonard take care
G
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Leonard is only aching in the places where he used to play.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Does anyone know when exactly Leonard sustained the injury ? Was it before or after the Grammy Awards ? If before, he was very stoic in his attendance there, although he did make a very brief appearance. I'm wondering when to date the recuperation period from; I see Sharon Robinson quoted as saying she will be on tour with Leonard again in June ! :?:
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

TipperaryAnn wrote:Does anyone know when exactly Leonard sustained the injury ? Was it before or after the Grammy Awards ? If before, he was very stoic in his attendance there, although he did make a very brief appearance. I'm wondering when to date the recuperation period from; I see Sharon Robinson quoted as saying she will be on tour with Leonard again in June ! :?:
I don't suppose the people who know the exact date are going to tell us but my best guess is that it was some time in the latter part of January. Jarkko took the ticket links and then the dates down from the forum and files on Saturday 30 January (the day Leonard received his Grammy) so it was clear by then the injury was bad enough to mean that the tour could or should not go on. No doubt there would have been plenty of doctors' visits and discussions before the decision was made - Leonard probably thought he could carry on, as he did in Valencia! I think "stoic" is a very good description of his appearance at the Grammys. What struck me most from the video footage was the absence of his beautiful broad grin when he took his hat off and bowed his head at the end of his speech so I concluded he must have been in some pain then.

I will be surprised if there are any tour dates in June. No doubt they will allow 2 or 3 weeks rehearsal time before the first show so maybe they are getting together in late June ready to resume the tour in the second half of July - we already know there is a show planned for Zagreb on July 25.

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

Macbeanie1,

I was just thinking about the timing of Leonard's return today - what you are saying could be correct.

TipperaryAnn wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote: I see Sharon Robinson quoted as saying she will be on tour with Leonard again in June !:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Mabeanie 1 wrote:
What struck me most from the video footage was the absence of his beautiful broad grin when he took his hat off and bowed his head at the end of his speech so I concluded he must have been in some pain then.
Yes I noticed this too, so I assumed the injury was sustained prior to this.
Jill
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Macbeanie1 ,
Thanks for your interesting reply. You are probably right about June being rehearsal time for July. What happens between late July and September will keep us all guessing ! And yes, looking now at the videos of the Grammy Awards Leonard does not look "himself" as we say in Ireland.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

TipperaryAnn wrote:Macbeanie1
I hate to be pedantic B4real and TipperaryAnn but I just want to point out that - whilst I do have very strong Irish roots on my father's side, and from Co Tipperary too - there is not a drop of Scottish blood in me so I have no claim to the name "Macbeanie1". My name is plain ol' Mabeanie1.

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

:oops:
Mabeanie1 wrote:I hate to be pedantic B4real and TipperaryAnn but I just want to point out that - whilst I do have very strong Irish roots on my father's side, and from Co Tipperary too - there is not a drop of Scottish blood in me so I have no claim to the name "Macbeanie1". My name is plain ol' Mabeanie1.
Are you sure? Interesting that we both did the same thing ;-) :lol:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Apologies Mabeanie1, now that I look at it again there is definitely no c in there ! We have lots of Mac s in Ireland too of course, mac being the Irish for son, so in some magical, mystical way maybe we were just subconsciously aware of your Irish heritage ? ;-)
catdiego

Post by catdiego »

Best wishes for his speedy and full recovery!!

I would have thought that Le Dome would have notified us that the concert was re-scheduled before we flew from Southern California to France to see him on March 7 in Marseille (which fell on my husband's b-day.) We were heartbroken, we've never seen him live and it seemed like the chance of a lifetime. Airfare being what it is, it's doubtful we can return in Sept.

Return to “News”