LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
ronnievv

Re: LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

Post by ronnievv »

Thank God it is just this and nothing more serious - though, as it is, I'm suffering from similar condition right now and it's very annoying, to say the least...
Get well soon, Leonard, and take your time, we are looking forward to seeing you in Bratislava in October.
And, as Bratislava is the last date scheduled so far, what about doing Vienna after that? :D You know, There's a concert hall in Vienna... to hear this in Wien is my only still unfulfilled cohenian (cohenite? cohenesque? oh well, never mind...) my only unfulfilled LC dream... :D
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

lizzytysh wrote:Exactly, Bonnie. Thank G~d Leonard only needs to endure [and I do mean endure] the p.t. regimen. I hope he knows that the p.t.'s really DO like him... it all too often seems like they don't, after you've clearly told them you CAN'T do it... and they continue to make you do it, anyway.
I've never had a back injury at all, but I am a big fan of PT. According to the X Rays I have no cartilage in the right hip joint left, little in the left hip and also very little in either knee. I've been told I need surgery. And there have been times I have been in such pain that I could only go up and down stairs by clinging to the bannister and dragging myself along.

But PT has gotten me back on my feet each time the pain has brought me low. As much as I resent my therapist telling me, once again, "No! No! You're not walking symmetrically. You need to pay more attention to . . . (fill in the blank!)" I appreciate that the pleading and the coaching and the (frankly) bossing has lead me -- 4 times now -- back to being in 10+ miles a day pain free hiking shape. I know that surgery is probably in my future some day. I hope surgery is not in Leonard's future, but I"m glad he is going the PT route first.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

i am keen to get tickets for the rescheduled marseile concert. it is special to experience a concert on leonard's birthday. i've just looked on the ticket sites and you can still get reasonable seats not too far from the stage . the complication though is that this is still listed as the now canceled 7th march concert 1 i was tempted to buy on the hope the tickets would automatically be transferred to september 21st , but didnt have the faith and/or courage to proceed ! what would other membes advise / do ?? :oops: :? :?
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

cohenadmirer wrote:i am keen to get tickets for the rescheduled marseile concert. it is special to experience a concert on leonard's birthday. i've just looked on the ticket sites and you can still get reasonable seats not too far from the stage . the complication though is that this is still listed as the now canceled 7th march concert 1 i was tempted to buy on the hope the tickets would automatically be transferred to september 21st , but didnt have the faith and/or courage to proceed ! what would other membes advise / do ?? :oops: :? :?
I'd go ahead and book them if you want to go. In the case of postponement of concerts, I have only ever seen it be the case that the tickets with the old date are automatically valid for the rescheduled date, with the ticket company offering a refund to anyone not able to make the new date. Think about how much effort (and expense!) it would be for the ticket companies to issue refunds to everyone who has bought a ticket for the old dates, and sell tickets for the new dates from scratch.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

danslenoir wrote:
cohenadmirer wrote:i am keen to get tickets for the rescheduled marseile concert. it is special to experience a concert on leonard's birthday. i've just looked on the ticket sites and you can still get reasonable seats not too far from the stage . the complication though is that this is still listed as the now canceled 7th march concert 1 i was tempted to buy on the hope the tickets would automatically be transferred to september 21st , but didnt have the faith and/or courage to proceed ! what would other membes advise / do ?? :oops: :? :?
I'd go ahead and book them if you want to go. In the case of postponement of concerts, I have only ever seen it be the case that the tickets with the old date are automatically valid for the rescheduled date, with the ticket company offering a refund to anyone not able to make the new date. Think about how much effort (and expense!) it would be for the ticket companies to issue refunds to everyone who has bought a ticket for the old dates, and sell tickets for the new dates from scratch.
i am still tempted to book on that basis , but maybe will hold off for a short while . It would be good if the ticket sellers revised their dates and clarified arrangements for transfer or refunds as soon as possible ! That is the last necesary act in putting a final end to the mixed but often negative emotions that have been around for more than a week
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

Dear. Leonard

I'm from the sad what happened to you :cry: . From my heart I wish you, health, early and very, very, I'm looking forward to see you in Slovakia.

With love and devotion fan, are waiting for you LEONKA of Slovakia. 8) :D
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

jarkko wrote:A lot has happened last night while I was sleeping! Special thanks to Marie who was on the alert and posted the press release right away!
Rescheduling the whole tour has been an immense task for Robert and everybody at the tour management and AEG. They have
given priority to the most important thing, Leonard's recovery. I am sure that the next Fall will bring us a wonderful tour!
Sure has!
Thank you Marie & Jarkko for the news and to Robert Kory for providing them & new dates having the forum prior to general public in mind.

We must remember that there's also a large group of people at UHTC, band & crew included, who need to deal with the implications of this rescheduling on them. It isn't just about venues re bookings and ticket refund arrangements.

Can't but think of an expression in Hebrew: "Kol Akava Le'tova". it is a way to express encouragement and optimism when a delay you can do nothing about occurs, meaning that since you never know what future may bring, you might as well be positive about it. The closest literal translation I can think about is "A delay can be a blessing in disguise".
I feel for people holding non-refundable trip plans, nevertheless, you never know who you're going to meet on that non-refundable flight or train ride if you decide to go anyway.. or think about trading Marseilles March weather with a September LC b-day celebration :)
This delay may also result in having a whole Fall Tour, with more EU concerts after October 13 (getting close to my b-day ;-)...), who knows?

Now, concentrating on sending LC best & speedy recovery wishes. Back pain sucks..

Still looking forward to seeing you in 2010,
Greetings from surprisingly cold Israel (our north is covered with snow)
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
crystal

Post by crystal »

After all the worry and speculations I am quite relieved it is an injury which is curable. It hurts like hell and takes its time and I wish Leonard Cohen that he fully recovers. I am so glad he has not cancelled but only rescheduled.
Thank you to everybody in keeping us informed and trying to calm us down. it must have been hard.
Although I am disappointed that it is not to be my birthday concert I am looking forward to a concert on his birthday and am also tempted to go ahead and buy tickets for Marseille before the last good ones are gone, hoping they are valid in September. I am biting my nails with indecision... maybe I wait a couple of hours.
Wishing everyone a nice and calm weekend, Christel
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

ladydi wrote:
Does he need a masseuse? ;-)
MarieM wrote:
Damn, I knew I forgot something. I was supposed to post a sign up list. :lol:
Please,

You can be attributed to me on the list, as adept at another masseuse.? :lol: :lol:
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Dear Leonard

Ah, so you do work out! I look forward to seeing you in September/October, skipping out on stage again.
Meanwhile take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Marie

Many thanks to all involved for the announcement today.
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
holydove

Post by holydove »

Big, big thank you to Marie & Robert Kory for posting the information last night - it loosened the knot into which my heart had been tied, ever since I saw the info about a "small" health problem on that other, "infamous" thread!

Leonard, I am so sorry that you are in such pain, and I am so relieved that it is something that will heal!

You have my deepest prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

The world does, and always will, need you, Leonard Cohen - but please take your time - don't "change your style" now(!) - for as long as it takes, we will always be out there - praying for you, longing for you, and loving you forever. . .

And a big thank you to Jarkko, for his boundless patience, tolerance, and very noble work. . .
holydove

Post by holydove »

We also would like to get tickets for Marseille, now that we see it will be Leonard's birthday, but are puzzled as to how/when we should do this - if anyone has info on this, please share what you know. . .
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

mnkyface wrote:"For Leonard Cohen - Ken Sunshine / Tiffany Shipp, Sunshine, Sachs & Associates, shipp@sunshinesachs.com / 001 212-691-2800"

I see that Ken Sunshine is *quite* the big-wig: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Sunshine
Isn't this a new PR person/company for Leonard? I've never seen the name mentioned before.
According to the "wiki" - Ken Sunshine "gained notoriety for his fight against the "stalkerazzis""

I wasn't familiar with that word - but "stalkerazzis" are half paparazzi, half stalker - or a blend thereof. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sharon.e wrote: We must remember that there's also a large group of people at UHTC, band & crew included, who need to deal with the implications of this rescheduling on them. It isn't just about venues re bookings and ticket refund arrangements.

Greetings from surprisingly cold Israel (our north is covered with snow)
--Sharon
Good point sharon.e

I had heard that the plan was to go into the studios at the end of 2010 to record a new album. But now - given the change of plans for the tour - maybe recording plans will be changed as well. Maybe a new album could happen before the tour - and they could tour the album! We did just hear about yet another new song that Leonard has written. From the Reuters article -
Cohen, who is known to take years to craft a new song, has just finished writing a tune called "Different Sides," his musical collaborator, Sharon Robinson, told Reuters at the Grammy event. It was not known when the song would be released. Cohen released his last studio album in 2004.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6150EN20100206

Of course, all of that is just pure fantasy on my part or speculation based on thoughts whirling around and "passing through" the threads of my brain after MarieM posted the AEG announcement yesterday. And then sharon.e made the comment above about "all the others" involved in/affected by the postponement.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

John Lennon (Beautiful Boy)

And - regarding snow - I'd just like to say that in some places here in Philly this morning - the drifts are as high as an elephant's eye!! :lol: A bit of an exaggeration - but you get my drift? :lol: :lol: And it's still coming down - at a rate of 2 inches per hour!

And I'm editing here because I was just reading another thread here -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20808
- where others have also been speculating about the possibility of a new album - about Leonard and troupe going to the recording studios - "going to the mattresses" :lol: :lol: - before they "take the stages" in September. :D :D
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The news hit the BBC around midday today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8501824.stm

"Leonard Cohen delays tour due to back injury

Canadian singer Leonard Cohen has had to postpone his tour of Europe by six months due to a back injury, his spokesperson has said.

Cohen, 75, has been told to undergo physiotherapy to help in his recovery, but it is still unclear how the back injury was caused.

The singer accepted a lifetime achievement award at the Grammys in Los Angeles on Sunday.

His tour will now begin on 15 September in the city of Caen, France.

Cohen has given almost 200 concerts around the world since his return to touring in May 2008 after more than a decade's absence.

Last year, the singer spent time in a Spanish hospital after collapsing on stage. He was said to have had food poisoning.

Cohen has just finished writing a track entitled Different Sides, his musical collaborator Sharon Robinson told Reuters news agency.

His last studio album was released in 2004. "

Wendy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

mnkyface wrote:"For Leonard Cohen - Ken Sunshine / Tiffany Shipp, Sunshine, Sachs & Associates, shipp@sunshinesachs.com / 001 212-691-2800"

I see that Ken Sunshine is *quite* the big-wig: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Sunshine

Isn't this a new PR person/company for Leonard? I've never seen the name mentioned before.
They probably decided they needed a heavyweight PR advisor when they saw **that** thread ......

Wendy

Return to “News”