LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
seadove

Re: LEONARD RESCHEDULES EUROPEAN PERFORMANCES DUE TO INJURY

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 pm

osmachar wrote:What kind of a discussion is this?

Singers do tours for a variety of reasons - eg money, they owe it to their fans and maybe they even enjoy the job and the applause. Where's the problem?
It's the age problem, Sir. How do you know he can stand all that strain?
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 pm

seadove wrote: It's the age problem, Sir. How do you know he can stand all that strain?
Well, I guess if he coudn't he wouldn't be doing it. There are other performers, singers, actors etc who are still working at that sort of age and older. Depends on the individual and they should know their own abilities and limitations.

I did also wonder why they didn't finish the tour on a high in November, when most people have had more than one fair chance to attend a concert, instead of sticking more dates on. But I don't imagine that someone stands over LC with a whip and says "you must go on"...Maybe he just thinks 'it's now or never and will be the last time so make the most out of it'. Whatever, we don't know.
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm

seadove wrote: He does not actually want to [tour].
Do you have some sort of psychic connection with LC? :)

seadove wrote: I have no authority of whatever nature to "decide" anything. This is a message board and I am voicing my opinion loudly, just like you are, Sir.
I defend every one's right to have an opinion. My point is that you claim to know what is best for Leonard in regards to his lifestyle/touring schedules/health/personal enjoyment. I'm just suggesting that maybe he is best placed to make that call...
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:35 pm

seadove wrote: It's the age problem, Sir. How do you know he can stand all that strain?
"Doctors have confirmed that Mr. Cohen is otherwise in terrific shape, thanks to years of exercise and careful diet, and simply needs appropriate time to recover from the lower back injury"

If the doctors who have physically examined him think he is in terrific shape and haven't raised any concerns about him continuing to tour, what exactly is the problem?
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:43 pm

danslenoir wrote:
"Doctors have confirmed that Mr. Cohen is otherwise in terrific shape, thanks to years of exercise and careful diet, and simply needs appropriate time to recover from the lower back injury"

If the doctors who have physically examined him think he is in terrific shape and haven't raised any concerns about him continuing to tour, what exactly is the problem?

There is an old Babylonian saying that goes "One must not fall within the hands of neither a lawyer nor a doctor".
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:45 pm

seadove wrote: There is an old Babylonian saying that goes "One must not fall within the hands of neither a lawyer nor a doctor".
Yeah that might be right, but the individual should really know how they're feeling and base their judgements on that as wel as an expert opinion.
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 pm

osmachar wrote:
seadove wrote: There is an old Babylonian saying that goes "One must not fall within the hands of neither a lawyer nor a doctor".
Yeah that might be right, but the individual should really know how they're feeling and base their judgements on that as wel as an expert opinion.
Why are you against the idea of him hanging his coat and take life easier?
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:54 pm

seadove wrote: Why are you against the idea of him hanging his coat and take life easier?
I'm not. When did I say that?? I only said it's up to the individual to deceide what they want to do. And I also said that I would have thought that they finish the tour in November. Pls read my earlier posts.

I do not know Mr Cohen personally and hence cannot make any judgements on his health or on his needs/wants etc. He should do whatever he feels like doing and it's certainly not up to us to think we know what's good for him, because we don't.
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 pm

I didn't say anything differant than what you are saying.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 pm

From what we've read Leonard had great self doubt about touring in the years leading up to the 2008 tour, believing that relatively few people would have any interest in seeing him . He had to be persuaded and part of the initial motivation was almost certainly financial need .( by now surely no longer an issue )

From fredericton onwards , though, Leonard discovered he'd been wrong about public sentiment towards his work. I hope and believe he has deeply experienced the enthusiasm and love with which huge audiences have greeted him . Though i speculate he is the kind of guy that deep down feels he doesn't deserve all this adulation he hopefully knows that for the time being he will get that wherever he performs . Probably these days ' feeding ' that audience enthusiasm is part of his motivation , but i also hope he's feeding himself spiritually when performing .

Sometimes performers can get ' addicted' ( in complex ways )to performing and can't give up . i hope and think this isn't a factor here .

The earleir points about ' age' don't strike me as relevant . I was at the barcelona show , 3 days after he collapsed in valencia . The performance was fantastic, showing incredible stamina and ' powers of recuperation ' that i couldn't even dream of , and i'm a lot younger. How great to celebrate your 75th birthday with 12000 enthusiatic/ loving concert goers trying to sing ' happy birthday ' in unison- and i hope the same will happen on his 76th birthday . If you can have this it's much better than spending your mid seventies shuffling around the house feeling lonely and detached , which is the fate of many as they get older .

Seeing leonard perform several times in the last 2 years is helping me reformulate my own fears of ageing !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Cohenadmirer, You are so spot on. Leonard is truly enjoying touring, and his audiences! He was so unsure that he would be able to fill concert halls and that was the reason they started slowly in the spring of 2008 with Fredericton and all the eastern Canadian venues. Even during his last major tour in 1993, he played smaller venues that were not always sold out. Obviously in 2008 "something" happened and everything connected. His concerts are sold out to adoring fans, many of whom count their concerts in the dozens, while following him everywhere they can! He has had so many memorable concerts...Dublin, Glastonbury, Weybridge, O2 London, 4 sold out concerts in one year in New York City, Venice, Barcelona, Las Vegas, 20,000 in San Jose, and 50,000 at Ramat Gan! He's on the cover of music magazines...biographies are popping up all over...his albums (even older ones) and dvd's are being grabbed up by not just fans who have been loyal for 40 plus years, but by a whole generation of younger fans who have just discovered him. He's receiving the kudos and adulation of decades of accumulated work...whether poetry, prose or music.

Seadove, LC is basically in great shape. Not just for a man his age...but compared to many who are younger. He eats well, exercises, meditates, and his life on the road is so structured that it at times mimics the discipline on Mt Baldy. When one considers this, plus what I wrote above, why would he want to junk all this to sit by the fire with a cup of tea and a good book? Unfortunate as the circumstances were that propelled him into touring, I think it was danslenoir who said he now has more than enough money to stop at any time and take it easy. So true. He tours because he loves it! In fact one member of his group has said that he actually wants to tour until he is 80! If not longer.

So, as each of us is different, and may have different thoughts as to what we want to do as we get older, we should applaud Leonard for his decision. btw, I cannot use the word "elderly" in connection with Leonard. He is still a vibrant, alive, somewhat sexy, older man...

ps: Nothing to do with Leonard, however it does involve aging. I was privileged to know Dr Bradford Washburn and his wife Barbara. Met them when I was very young and they were remap-ing the Grand Canyon using lasers. Dr Washburn is also the one who discovered through the use of lasers (after trekking to the high village of Namche Bazaar in Nepal), and a crew on top of Everest, the the mountain was actually 6' higher than previously thought. At the time he was in his 80's. He was Director of the Museum of Natural History in Boston and continued working in his office, lecturing, and travelling until well into his late 90's. He once made a comment in an interview that he wasn't ready for shuffleboard yet. I don't think Leonard is either!
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 pm

[quote="ladydi

He is still a vibrant, alive, somewhat sexy, older man...

i agree with all you say except the 'somewhat' sexy........Only somewhat??????
I'd change that word to 'incredibly' :)
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Diana - thank you for your post. I hadn't looked at this thread for a day or so and I cannot believe it's twisted around to "Leonard's hurt himself and it's our fault for expecting too much of him"! I have absolutely no doubt that, if Leonard had had enough of touring, he would have ended it at the end of that particular phase of the tour. Remember he has "history" - he jacked in the 1993-4 tour because he'd had enough. I feel sure he would do the same now if he wanted to, the only difference these days being that he would, I'm certain, honour any commitments he'd already given. Your response is spot on: he's touring now because he is REALLY enjoying it.

As for "He is still a vibrant, alive, somewhat sexy, older man ..." - it was about 5 years ago now that I told a work colleague about half my age that Leonard Cohen was the one older man I would go for. Nothing's changed on that score!

Wendy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:21 pm

PS I was in Valencia AND Barcelona. He collapsed in Valencia because he hadn't had any nourishment etc for however long. Don't you feel faint and wan when you are ill and don't (or can't) eat anything?

He seemed tired in Barcelona but he gave it his all and he really seemed to be enjoying the show.

I was also at the last 2 shows of the US tour in November. Leonard was positively bouncing in Vegas and San Jose. He did not look like a man who was ready to "hang up his boots".

Wendy
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 pm

I seem to remember the Barcelona show didn't finish until after 1 am, local time . Leonard wasn't the only person who was tired !! . But i think we were all buzzing in the tiredness.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “News”